Do not speak...

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Proverbs 23:9
Do not speak in the hearing of a fool, for he will despise te wisdom of your words.

So how should we take this verse?
Who shud be considered a fool?
In matthew 5: 22, it says if u says u fool to ur brother, u'll be in danger of hell fire..

so how shud we take this verse, cuz we also must preach to non belivers, but they are not fools either... just in the dark

Comments

• I think this site is accepted by coptic orthodox im not sure.. but it seems good to me but maybe u should be careful...

Also you should always continue to do your own bible study and not get into a trap of just reading off others hard work like I have done which I think I lost benefit of my own quiet time.

God Bless!

matthew 5: 22

Bible Study

http://www.ccel.org/h/henry/mhc2/MHC40005.HTM

This comes from bible study of ccel.org of proverbs 23:9 ?

9 Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words.

We are here directed not to cast pearls before swine (Matt. vii. 6) and not to expose things sacred to the contempt and ridicule of profane scoffers. It is our duty to take all fit occasions to speak of divine things; but, 1. There are some that will make a jest of every thing, though it be ever so prudently and pertinently spoken, that will not only despise a wise man's words, but despise even the wisdom of them, that in them which is most improvable for their own edification; they will particularly reproach that, as if it had an ill design upon them, which they must guard against. 2. Those that do so forfeit the benefit of good advice and instruction, and a wise man is not only allowed, but advised, not to speak in the ears of such fools; let them be foolish still, and let not precious breath be thrown away upon them. If what a wise man says in his wisdom will not be heard, let him hold his peace, and try whether the wisdom of that will be regarded.
  • I couldn't help but stumble upon such an intriguing discussion. From the greatest theologians, apologists to the most simple of all servants; there is a definite truth each has discovered. Solomon in all his wisdom discovered this truth to be simply put; an essentially significant truth for an apologist.

To understand this verse, it helps greatly to refrence Matthew 7:6;
    "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces."

Here, the context of sacredness is the culmination of spirtual truth. God's word is the most sacred truth that a spirtual individual can ascertain. Nevertheless, it is a truth that incorporates the concealed treasures of God; wisdom only imparted to those who are humble in nature. Our Lord explains;

"This is why I speak to them in parables:
    Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing,
    they do not hear or understand.
    'You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
    you will be ever seeing but never perceiving
    " (Mathew 13)

Therefore; "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them"

Unless one humbles himslef, he will never be accepting of the Wisdom of the One true Humble God.

My point to you then, is this:

The "foolish" man is not the child, sinner, righteous or just man who humbles himslef in order to ascertain the Truth. The foolish man is he who refuses to display humilty because he refutes any notion of the truth.

When you spread the "pearls" of Christ be sure you do not throw such treasures to the dogs. Do not incessently try to persuade someone who only seeks to disporve your beliefs but is not willing to listen. For if you do; they "will despise your wisdom" and "tear you to pieces". They will make a spectacle and travesty of the Chritian faith for both you and others.

*Speak to those who are open-minded and willing to listen to you; for even if you can not convince them, you have become a witness of God's truth for them.

God bless
  • Absolutley,

The Heart is God's and God's alone. Transfromation from death to life is done then through the power of Jesus Christ. nevertheless, there are some people who's only mission is to make a travesty of every concept that does not fir their own pre-conceptions.

The fool is one who lacks judgment; who lacks understanding. Their goal is not to understand your words, but to place judgement on your words. Try all people, but only continue to preach to those who are willing to hear.
    Even, when our Lord was utterly rejected in Nazareth and almost thrown off the cliff, He left the city and "walked right through the crowd and went on his way" (Luke 4:28)

What did Jesus command his disciples in regard to those who refused to hear their testimony and welcome them into their town; "But when you enter a town and are not welcomed, go into its streets and say, 'Even the dust of your town that sticks to our feet we wipe off against you."

It is good to shine your light, but only when there is a dark room to enter. There are some people who will never let you enter their hearts;not even for a moment's time. In such cases, the best preaching is by the action you present rather then the words you speak. USe wisdom as you judge these matters.

God bless