THE BIG FAT UGLY EGO.

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
The word “self” ego is often used as a synonym for ego. Theology, psychology and philosophy emphasizes the value of a clear sense of self resulting in a feeling of autonomy, and a healthy close of self-esteem.

When we draw attention to things we have done in order to position ourselves above others or if we are drawing attention to our accomplishments in order to meet particular identity needs, then our motivation is probably pride and that is sin.

It is an attitude of the heart motivated by the desire to be in control.

There is a world of difference between self-respect and pride. Self worth and self respect are healthy only when our appreciation of accomplishment is met with genuine Christ- centred humility.

C.S. Lewis writes, “if you want to find out how proud you are the easiest way is to ask yourself, “how much do I dislike it when other people snub me, or refuse to take any notice or me, or shove their oar in, or patronize me or show off?”

Egos in competition
Girls with makeup, physique, hair, attention
Guys with fighting, strength, attractive partners, sexual immorality, gender

“According to Christian teachers, the essential vice, the utmost evil, is Pride. Unchastity, anger, greed, drunkenness, and all tat, are mere fleabites in comparison: it was through pride that the devil became the devil: pride leads to every other vice: it is the complete anti-God state of mind” the devil is the biggest example of an inflated ego. Where did he go but straight to hell.
In the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector we see the same pride principle at work. Luke tells us that Jesus was directing this teaching, “To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looking down on others. Luke continues, “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee went up and prayed about himself: “God, I thankyou that I am not like other men- robbers, evildoers, adulterers or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat on his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’ I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

There are several principals this passage teaches us about pride. First, pride alienates us from God. From the perspective of the Pharisee, the point of praying was to draw attention to his own ‘goodness’ in light of the mistakes and shortcomings of others. He was the focus of his prayer and his purpose in praying was to specifically highlight his apparent moral achievement.

When we flaunt our “goodness”, rather than attempt to live as genuine reflections of Gods grace at work in our lives we alienate ourselves from God. Not because God turns away from us, and refuses us access until we get ourselves straightened out, but because our pride will not permit us to admit we need what God has to offer. When we become the point, we can be sure that pride is at work in our hearts.

We have two thrones, one is the heart/ soul which is the throne of God and the other is the ego the throne of pride.

The ego is like a drug addict. An addiction is caused by constant feeding of a particular drug into the body. The drug causes a feeling of euphoria and the person becomes addicted to that feeling. Eventually if enough drugs are consumed the person heads straight down the path of self destruction because it is then extremely difficult or impossible to with draw from the addictive state because the body thinks it cannot live without it. This is because it has forgotten how it feels to be without it.

The drug that feeds the ego is pride. Once its fed the ego wants more and more. It only takes one time. Very similar to heroine or cocaine. These drugs are called one timers because it takes only one hit to become addicted. They spread through the blood stream immediately. The person then becomes detached from reality and cannot find their way back to reality. They then become mentally, physically and ultimately spiritually unwell.

The ego in its humble state is like a deflated balloon. Pride is like the oxygen that inflates it. It fills the balloon and it gets bigger and bigger. The ego then becomes addicted to being blown up and wont allow you to deflate it once it has tastes the oxygen of pride.

So then oxygen we can call pride or egocentrism can be likened to carbon monoxide. Just as carbon monoxide pollutes our environment and poisons our bodies. The ego if left to rule will pollute and poison our soul. Once the soul/ human spirit is poisoned, it then becomes detached from God and begins the downward spiral of self destruction.

Some examples of self destructive tendencies would be vanity, jealousy, anger, deception, hatred, insecurity, cynicism, depression. These tendencies become spiritual illness and what follows are most definitely physical illness. Because the body does reflect the soul.

James 3: 16 - For wherever there is jealousy and selfish ambition, there you will find disorder and every kind of evil.

Philippians 2:3- Don’t be selfish; don’t live to make a good impression on others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourself.

Galatians 5:17- The old sinful nature loves to do evil, which is just opposite from what the Holy Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are opposite from what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, and your choices are never free from this conflict.

So the remedy for the ego is to deflate it.
To not want vain attention, in terms of being the prettiest, or the smartest, or the best dressed, or the most respected or admired, or have the best car, or house, or the most expensive gold and jewellery.
To not put people down so that we can rise above them.
To not want to be better than others but want to be good.

To not focus on the physical and the outer being but to feed and nourish the inner being.
The soul/ spirit with soul food. God is soul food.

+Glory be to God forever and ever Amen. +

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.
Happy moments, praise God.
Difficult moments, seek God.
Quiet moments, worship God.
Painful moments, trust God.
Every moment, thank God.

we just had this youth meeting and i thought it was gr8 hope u guys benefit from it as i did

GB ALL

Comments

• OMW frog that reeallllly reeeeallly helped me! I was like I am going through a really hard time right now because i've been really selfish lately and trying 2 impress people and i felt really bad after that and i am feeling so depressed lately & like God isn't listening (but i know he is, that's just satan's way of bringing ppl down) but this is exactly what i needed!! :) that just goes 2 show that God gives the right answer & solution in his own perfect timing!! ;D
    please pray 4 me! i really need them!! :-\

glory be to God!! ;D

laura