Books

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Has anyone read The Purpose of a Driven Life? It was recommended to me by a non-Coptic friend, but I don't know if the book follows our religion. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• No, but my advice is ask abouna or a sunday school teacher about it
  • Any other good spiritual books out there that are good reads? I'm trying to find a book for the summer.

Feel free to share thoughts about spiritual books you've read and would recommend. Even if the book was mentioned in another topic, go ahead and post it again.

"Tis the good reader that makes the good book."
    - Ralph Emerson

- Chris
  • Yea, I'm looking for some good books I can get from the church to read as well over the summer. Any ideas, PLEASE wrote them down. lol.

sleepy
  • ive read quite a bit fo the purpose driven life, it deffinately aplies with our religion. it's a great book! read ittt
  • Great!! Thanks, I'll start it now.

Any other recommendations?

- Chris
  • interesting
    i would actually wanna find out myself on some spirituall books

any ideas plz post
  • "The Purpose-Driven Life" is a good book, but remember it is written by a protestant pastor.
    I would also recommend Matthew Kelly, he has written many many books and lectures. Matthew writes mainly to Catholic audiences, but it is still great for Orthodox readers.
  • Yes, I agree with Michael, we have been reading that book in the Protestant Bible class, and all I could say is that it drives your mind towards protestanism , also it does, in ways offend our Churches so I do not reccomend it at all.

Why don't you read something by H.H. like "Ten Concepts" that book is awesome.

;)

Epsaltos Michael
  • Defender and everyone,
    I'm sure everyone who's in this topic knows that H.H. books, at least most of them, are online available to read for free at any time on Tasbeha.org's Partner Site.

I'm looking for a book on spirituality that can keep my mind in tune. H.H. writes awesome books, don't get me wrong, but since they are so readily available, I tend to just drop it after a while.

So I guess maybe books that aren't written by clergy is what I'm looking for. Thanks!!!

The great Isaiah said that: the Lord is coming to Egypt: on a light cloud: He is the King of heaven and earth.

- Chris
  • [quote author=Epsaltos Michael link=board=1;threadid=220;start=0#msg4784 date=1088190273]
    Yes, I agree with Michael, we have been reading that book in the Protestant Bible class, and all I could say is that it drives your mind towards protestanism , also it does, in ways offend our Churches so I do not reccomend it at all.

Why don't you read something by H.H. like "Ten Concepts" that book is awesome.

;)

Epsaltos Michael

yea i totally agree with you
  • Have you gottena chance to look up Matthew Kelly yet? He is a wonderful speaker as well as writer...
  • Books to read,eh?

-The Sayings of the Desert Fathers
    -Paradise of the fathers Volumes 1+2
    -The Bible is a very good book to check out. READ IT! >:(
  • i hear that "Paradise of the Desert Fathers" comes very highly recommended, as well.. maybe i should check it out while we're at it..
  • for bookz, id reccomend the bible or senixarian or bookz by orthodoz bishopz. most other christian-themed bookz r catholic or misinterpret the bible badly.
  • _Sinner_, I like Catholic books...I HATE protestant books though..

Mike
  • Along with Matthew Kelly, I recommend
    A Prayerbook
    Annunciation of the Theotokos
    Encounter of Christ
    In the Spirit of Happiness (Gemstar) Wisdom for Living
    St. Francis of Assisi (St. Francis of Assisi)
    Birth of Theotokos
    In the Spirit of Happiness

All the above are from the Monks of the New Skete they are Eastern Orthodox Monks
  • catholic bookz may sound intriguing, but i warn u, they sumtimez have untru thingz. catholic is very different than orthodox, especially coptic orthodox. the moralz may b helpful, but catholicism (no offense) is based very much on worldly principles.
  • thats your opinion, I tend to think we have much more in common...
  • Wow! I just finished reading Islam Unveiled: Disturbing Questions about the world's Fastest-Growing Faith by Robert Spencer. It is an amazing book (thanks SMS for the recommendation). I think everyone should read it. It finally says what the world has been told not to say about Islam. Definitely pick it up some time.

- Chris

Any other recommendations for spiritual books guys?