What does this verse mean exactly?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Okay, I love this verse a lot, but as to the meaning, I'm confused...

WHat exactly does this verse mean?

Here is the Verse:

Luke 17:21 - Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
Okay so I got the first part... dont be decieved of false prophets.... but what does it mean "The KINGDOM OF GOD IS WITHIN yOU??
tHANKS

Comments

• Hello MarMar,

A Christian person after being baptised and received the Myron, becomes sealed withe the Holy Spirit. He/she now is the Temple of God and the Spirit of God dwells in him/her.

“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God? You are not your own;
    you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.” 1 Cor 6:19-20

This is the Kingdom of God, to have God inside us, to commune with Him, to talk to Him in intimate relationship and to love him above anything. And because we do not want to upset this relationship, we stay away from the sins of the world and the unbelievers.

14:Do not be mismated with unbelievers. For what partnership have righteousness and iniquity? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?
    15: What accord has Christ with Be'lial? Or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?
    16: What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, "I will live in them and move among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    17: Therefore come out from them, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch nothing unclean; then I will welcome you,
    18: and I will be a father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty." 2 Cor.

• wow we were just recently discussing this in sunday school well what christ is saying is that the kingdom of heaven is fellowship with god and we have that within us if we choose it

aghape,
    chris
  • Dear MarMar91

Our blessed Patriarch St Cyril of Alexandria said concerning this verse:

These miserable men ask in mockery, “When will the kingdom of God come?” This is like saying, “Before the kingdom of which you speak comes, cross and death will seize you.” What does Christ reply? He again displays His long-suffering and incomparable love to humanity. Reviled, he does not revile again…He does not harshly scold them because of their wickedness, nor does He stoop to give them an answer to their question which was intended to mock Him. Instead he says: “Behold the Kingdom of God is within you.” He essentially thus says: “Do not ask about the times in which the season of the Kingdom of heaven will again rise and come. Rather be eager that the you may be found worthy of it. It is within you. That is, it depends on your own wills and is in your own power, whether or not you receive it. Everyone that has attained justification by means of faith in Christ and decorated by every virtue is counted worthy of the kingdom of heaven” (Commentary on Luke, Homily 117)

Peace.