Fasting -

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
My friends - here comes another dumb question !!

Does the wed/fri fasts last from sunset - sundown or when exactly? Please clarify thiss for me - as I really need this and indeed other aspects of it cleared up.

Thanks

Geraldine

Comments

• No, the wednesday and friday fasts are like the any other fasts, u must sustain from eating anything from animals the whole day, then u break it on thursday, and start again on friday.
    Hope the helps.

-Pete
  • [quote author=GERALDINE link=board=1;threadid=2095;start=0#msg32453 date=1121429965]
    Does the wed/fri fasts last from sunset - sundown or when exactly?

Greeting,
    ok, wow. Whered u get that from?
    FYI: the Fasting from sunset, to sunddown, is a Islamic thing.
    GBU :)
  • u can break ur fast after the liturgy which is usually early in most churches...but u still not eat animal products and such

sunset to sundown isn't necessary an islamic thing..because if the liturgies doesn't end until sundown then u break ur fast after tht (still eating none animal products)
    so it's whenever the liturgy ends not to sundown
  • [quote author=Marianne87 link=board=1;threadid=2095;start=0#msg32467 date=1121443733]

i think Geraldine was talking about an everyday thing, not days we attend the liturgy on...
  • Hello Geraldin,

Fasting in the Coptic Church is not to change one food to another, but abstain from food for a period of time, depending on your endurance. Then eat food that does not contain animal products.

Since fasting is every weak, with the exception of Wednesday and Friday of the Holy fifty Days, So people usually abstain from eating for couple of hours or so. Again it depend on their spiritual level, no rules from the church on this matter.
  • [quote author=Mikhail_04 link=board=1;threadid=2095;start=0#msg32469 date=1121444067]
    [quote author=Marianne87 link=board=1;threadid=2095;start=0#msg32467 date=1121443733]

i think Geraldine was talking about an everyday thing, not days we attend the liturgy on...

she was talking abt friday and wednesday in here
  • wednesday and friday are both like sundays you end at like 8 or so, so you can brush your teeth before you go to bed!
  • Coptic Servant,

wednesday and friday are both like sundays you end at like 8 or so, so you can brush your teeth before you go to bed!

Could you please explain what this statment mean?

Geraldine was taking about fasting on both Wednsday and Friday!!!!!!!!!!
  • My dear friends, Thank u all for ur replies - but I am still confused?????

Let me start in making clear Im talking about the lets call them stand alone fasts of wed. ( no other fast coinciding with it - ok)
    So when should I begin fasting and then end. as in before i go to bed on wed night or when I wake up on thursday morning??

PLZ ADVISE

I am gettin slightly confused!!

Geraldine
  • [quote author=GERALDINE link=board=1;threadid=2095;start=0#msg32506 date=1121450531]
    My dear friends, Thank u all for ur replies - but I am still confused?????

Let me start in making clear Im talking about the lets call them stand alone fasts of wed. ( no other fast coinciding with it - ok)
    So when should I begin fasting and then end. as in before i go to bed on wed night or when I wake up on thursday morning??

PLZ ADVISE

I am gettin slightly confused!!

Geraldine

Fasting should always be done on midnight...like beginning wednesday and ending 11:59 that night on wednesday. You fast the whole day from the beginning to the end...that fasting is without eating animal products...fasting without food ends when the liturgy ends...other than that u should fast the whole day eating ONLY non-animal products

hope tht clarified a bit
  • Hi Geraldine....

The fast for Wednesday starts at 12 midnight and it ends 12 midnight!!! so after tuesday is 11 59 then you stop eating fitari foods.. and then on thursday at 1200 am you start eating wahtever... same applies for friday...

G
    I
    L

God*IS*Love
    [glow=red,2,300][move]M*O*N*I*K*A[/move][/glow]
  • I was always taught that the fast starts on 12:00 AM (Midnight) of Wednesday and you don't break your fast until you get up Thursday morning. Therefore, if I was up studying until 1:00AM Thursday morning, I would not eat meat or dairy until the I got up on Thursday, even if I end up getting up at 6:00AM to do more work. I don't know if that is official church tradition, but it is what I was taught.

Also, when people say to abstain from food until mass lets out, many people do this regardless of whether or not they will be attending mass. For example, since today is Friday and I know that my church's mass ends at 10:30AM, I would abstain from food until at least 10:30 and then eat fasting food for lunch, dinner etc.

This is just what I've been taught, the best advice is to talk to your FOC about it.
  • To the original question, I cannothelp but think of those days when those muslims count the seconds for the cannon to fire.

Just use your head and be logical. When you get up start fasting until you go to bed. When you wake up the following day its a start of a new day.

If you are clock watching (!) or getting up in the middle of the night to pig out on a turkey joint then I would seriously think about consulting your doctor.

Now what time is for I am craving for a Big Mac............LOL
  • Deano,

Just use your head and be logical. When you get up start fasting until you go to bed. When you wake up the following day its a start of a new day.

Geraldine is not a Copt Yet, she is trying hard to come to our Coptic Church.

Please respect her, and not be harsh talking to her.

I am sure many of the Copts did not practise the Apostle’s Fast, but Geraldine did. May God help and bless her
  • Geraldine, that is wonderful and appreciated by the Lord that you are becoming a Copt!!!!!!!!!!!

But if it isn't too personal what was your other religion?

and Safaa that is so nice to be standing up for Geraldine!
  • Safaa

Thank you - back there!!! iT is just a little confusing when u try to take it all in - but I am getting there - With Gods help.

Thank you all again.

Geraldine