Plz read - egyptian artifacts!

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
OK, i was just reading this article, and it would be nice if you all could check it out ---> http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-5139396,00.html

it's about countries that have ancient egyptian artifacts (some of the most important stuff) and for the past 50 years egypt has been asking for them back! these countries, mostly england, the states, germany, france, and holland have soo much ancient egyptian stuff from ancient mummies, jewelry, and even coptic stuff!!! and to be honest this is a very important issue, for example the british musuem has 120 egyptian mummies on display, for those of you who have been to egyptian musuem will know that we only have 12 mummies on display!!!!!!!!!! i mean i personally find this disgusting! also their is this thing called the rosetta stone (it was what people first used when they translated the hieroglyphs) britian stole this from egypt and has even refused to lend it to egypt for an exhibit - again the situation is so dad that in the egyptian musuem we only have a copy of the rosetta stone on display cause britian displays the original in their british musuem!! even the famous bust of nefertiti that im sure a lot of girls from this forum wear, was stolen from egypt by germany!!!!!!! the louvre musuem in france has also stolen countless coptic (and other egyptian artifacts) from egypt and also display them!!!!!!! what makes this situation even more offensive is that often these artifacts get partly damaged by them, and even last year the german musuem with nefertit's bust did a display of her on a naked model (click this link to see -- http://www.uwm.edu/~wash/nefertiti.htm)
Anyway sorry for making this soo long, but i hope you are all more aware of this situation, and all your thoughts are more than welcome!!!!!!!!!!! ;D;D

Comments

• how can they take the artifacts and REFUSE to give them back. that makes no sense. where'd they get them from in the first place? US.

And what do they mean they would "disappoint" the 5 mil. visitors. im sry, but that just sounds like some lame excuse to make money. they want see it they go where it originated from!

As for the Rosetta Stone, after hieroglyphics were very popular in ancient egypt, it became 2 complicated and some ppl forgot it. After a while some guy named Jean Champollion found a stone with hieroglyphics, greek, and COPTIC on it. So thanks to that stone, archaeologists can read heiroglyphics today.

am i the only one that thinks they're just doing it for money, cause i have a feeling they have enough artifacts of their OWN country. n if they dont, you dont just steal others.
  • Christ4Lfife you are right! they have no worthwhile history themselves so they are so pathetic they have to steal others'!! actually i was watching an a 60 minutes special (in australia) and they interviewed the director of the British Musuem, and he was unbelievably arrogant claiming "we dont have to share", meaning they dont have to give back to egypt, which is a joke in the first place cause Egypt is the one, in fact, who never had to share!!!! I mean some of you may now about Akhenaten (tutankamun's father) and most of his stuff is in Germany :(:(!!!!!
    Disgrace!!!!!!!!!!! Some of you may know who Dr. Zahi Hawass is in Egypt and he does such a good job to attemp to get the stuff back, but it really is an uphill battle as the article pointed out! I would like to make a petition to spread on the net so people can mass send to the british, Louvre, and Berlin Musuem to pressure them to send the stuff back!!!!! To be honest I find this a very personal battle as they are my (and all of yours!) historical and religious pieces!!!!!