Think hard over these!

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
Three friends check into a motel for the night and the clerk tells them the bill is $30, payable in advance. So, they each pay the clerk $10 and go to their room.
A few minutes later, the clerk realizes he has made an error and overcharged the trio by $5. He asks the bellhop to return $5 to the 3 friends who had just checked in.
The bellhop sees this as an opportunity to make $2 as he reasons that the three friends would have a tough time dividing $5 evenly among them; so he decides to tell them that the clerk made a mistake of only $3, giving a dollar back to each of the friends.
He pockets the leftover $2 and goes home for the day!
Now, each of the three friends gets a dollar back, thus they each paid $9 for the room which is a total of $27 for the night.
We know the bellhop pocketed $2 and adding that to the $27, you get $29, not $30 which was originally spent.
Where did the other dollar go????

Comments

• stare closely
  • under or over the trees??
  • houses or people watching??
  • old man or couple???
  • how many faces?
  • 2 mexican men or old couple?
  • running water or pilgrims?
  • young lady or old bag?
  • [quote author=matt88 link=board=13;threadid=2072;start=0#msg32073 date=1121145599]
    houses or people watching??

that looks scary....
  • [quote author=matt88 link=board=13;threadid=2072;start=0#msg32075 date=1121145658]
    how many faces?

i think 10...
  • [quote author=matt88 link=board=13;threadid=2072;start=0#msg32068 date=1121145444]
    Three friends check into a motel for the night and the clerk tells them the bill is $30, payable in advance. So, they each pay the clerk $10 and go to their room.
    A few minutes later, the clerk realizes he has made an error and overcharged the trio by $5. He asks the bellhop to return $5 to the 3 friends who had just checked in.
    The bellhop sees this as an opportunity to make $2 as he reasons that the three friends would have a tough time dividing $5 evenly among them; so he decides to tell them that the clerk made a mistake of only $3, giving a dollar back to each of the friends.
    He pockets the leftover $2 and goes home for the day!
    Now, each of the three friends gets a dollar back, thus they each paid $9 for the room which is a total of $27 for the night.
    We know the bellhop pocketed $2 and adding that to the $27, you get $29, not $30 which was originally spent.
    Where did the other dollar go????

wait a minute here. if the bellhop pocketed 2 dollars, you would have $28 that the trio spent. But he gave them $3, and the clerk gave him 5, so he could have only took 2. something is missing here...
  • these are all awesome and by the way i am lost and dizzy on the stare closely one...... ahhhhhh but it was good do u have anymore!!!!! i would like to know!!!! thanks and great job!!!
    batikha-basketball :)
  • At school we did something like that! those are pretty cool!
  • dont you Just LOVE PSYCHOLOGY...
  • lol those were neat!! the one with the old couple looks really creepy lol

god bless u!

laura
  • i dont get this topic is it just for pic or what but thet are great!but it makes me dizzy! :o ::)
  • [quote author=sandrahanna link=board=13;threadid=2072;start=15#msg32139 date=1121193890]
    i dont get this topic is it just for pic or what but thet are great!but it makes me dizzy! :o ::)

sandra it's like a trivia
  • ahhhhh...i get it thanks!
  • those are really cool!!!! wow i am surprised!! this is fun and i am enjoying it a lot!!!! thank u very much!!!!
  • any1 have the answer to the 1st one?? im lost
  • LOL well this may be just a little delayed... but the three friends payed $30 dollars at the start, $3 was returned to them, therefore they now only PAID $27. When the first man retuned $5, it means that he really only charged then $25... The bellman pocketed $2 and that is in fact the difference between $27 and $25.

LOL.
  • lol it took just under 3 years to get the answer...

clearly inflation has made the $3 that he pocketed now to $20

LOL
  • Wow loll that got me really really really confused, i hate things like this which just confuse me and make my brain hurt.