SWEARING

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
sometimes people don't believe me about something that is true and I swear to the bible/god about it. is it OK[coptic]jesus Christ[/coptic]

Comments

• definitely not that's using god's name in vain and on the bible that's even WORSE
  • but I never swear if i know its not true
  • swearing is just wrong and you should not do even for god or swearing on the holy bible!!!!!!!! so what is your point????
    batikha-basketball
  • This is taken right out of Matthew, chapter 5, so read.

34 But I tell you, do not swear at all, wither by heaven, for it is God's throne, 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear on your head for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 Simply let your 'yes' be 'yes' and your 'no' be 'no'.

These are Christ's one words. It also says, somewhere in the bible (dont have the exact quote), "la shatamoun, wala halafoun yatkholo malakot el samawat". Translation: "no cursers of swearers will enter the kingdom of God."

P.S. This topic belongs nowhere under "Hymns Discussion". More like "Faith Issues"

You also said you don't swear on something unless it is right. Well if someone doesn't believe you, than I'm sorry to say, who cares! If you are telling the truth than God is your witness, and only he will judge whether you enter Heaven or hell.
  • hey guys i think swearing is absolutily wrong because when you say something you don't have to swear because if they trust you they are going to trust you without swearing!if i am wrong please correct!
  • swearing and saying bad words is definetly very wrong, God tells us not to swear by heaven or earth or anything else, and "Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers" Ephesians 4:29
  • we were talking about this at camp during bible study (CopticChica21 and CopticMariam don't worry you guys don't have to hear this you already heard it)

*well, when you say "I swear on the holy bible or I swear on God" it's basicly swearing well, don't use it at all, I have a verse that I use often

"Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man, but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man" Matthew 15:11
  • hey, i learned about this at bible camp, funny coincidence, anyways we learned and memorized these verses out of matthew, But I tell you, do not swear at all, wither by heaven, for it is God's throne, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear on your head for you cannot make even one hair white or black. Simply let your 'yes' be 'yes' and your 'no' be 'no'. oh wow, i just realized that christ4life posted the exact same thing but im just gonna post this anyways so i can make a point, lol, anyways our teacher said that if someone doesnt believe what you say, you shouldnt feel like you have to prove it to them, if you know you're telling the truth then dont worry about it! but thats all i had to say, hope i was of some help! god bless all!
    **mariam**