Thirteen tribes of Israel?

edited June 2005 in Faith Issues
If I'm not insane, in Numbers chapter two, there are thirteen tribes of Israel. The tribes were divided into camps on four sides of the Tabernacle and three tribes were on every side..this is hard to explain but for example, on the east side was Judah, Issachar, and Zebulun. On the west there were three others, etc. meaning that it would be 3x4=12 tribes yet the Levites were not counted in this..they were to camp in the middle with the Tabernacle making it thirteen tribes..so I looked back on Genesis chapter 35 and found that two tribes mentioned in Numbers were not counted among Jacob's children; Mannaseh and Ephraim but perhaps one of these is Joseph's tribe since his tribe is not mentioned by his name in Numbers yet there is one extra even if that is the case. If anyone understands, help would be appreciated. I can't explain it better :-\

Comments

• Hello ServentofJesus,

The Tribe of Levite was not counted as a tribe, according to the commandment of God.
    In the Book of Number, chapter 4, God said :

”11: And the LORD said to Moses,
    12: "Behold, I have taken the Levites from among the people of Israel instead of every first-born that opens the womb among the people of Israel. The Levites shall be mine,

So the Tribe of Levite did not have inheritance with the rest of Israel, because God is their inheritance.

At the same time the two sons of Joseph were counted as two tribes. If you do your math, we have now 12 tribes.

may God bless
  • gotcha ;D

Oh man, I remember now; In Genesis 49, Jacob blessed Joseph's two sons..that was the confusing part..
  • lol wen u said 13 im like wat
    cus i always thought ther was just 12 lol ::)