Fasting during the Holy Fifty Days

As we all know, the church doesn't fast wednesdays on fridays on such holy days but is it wrong to fast for personal reasons? I always thought it wasn't but I heard this lecture about how these days must be of rejoicing, et cetera..the speaker never said however, that it was wrong to fast for personal reasons..

Comments

• I beleive it is dependant for personal issues...if for some reason your confession father tell you to fast during the 50 then you should fast...other wise if you jus want to fast by your self without ur confession father knowin for a certain situation or a problem then, i think u shouldnt fast..

If you want to fast for a special reason always consult your confession father, before you do because there are ppl who think they are supermen and women and over fast without a special reason. So as a point go to ur confession father and he will advise you.

Shenouda.
  • I'm just wondering about the Church's view generally..
  • fact: the bishops... the pope... fast for a whole year, after receiving such a rank... and they break their fast for the holy fifty days, among other feasts... its like saying, I should fast during Easter day... it the same thing... because the church is happy, that is why it is praying in the festal tune.

"Then the disciples of John came to Him, saying, "Why do we and the Pharisees fast often, but Your disciples do not fast?" And Jesus said to them, "Can the friends of the bridegroom mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast."

so as we see, when Christ is present with us, we are to rejoice... and he is present with us in these days, because we should be reliving these days... plus you already have about 200 days to fast, gat ya'ny 'ala el khamaseen, wa tosomhom... da talkeek.... you want to be different... and you are doing it for pride... it will not profit you... and that is why no priest will allow you to do such action... be obedient and you will be blessed, with a great blessing... plus you have the apostles fast to fast... be happy during the khamaseen.. And God will bless...

Sorry if I sounded harsh… I was really advising myself… because I use to always think to do that…
  • gat ya'ny 'ala el khamaseen, wa tosomhom... da talkeek.... you want to be different... and you are doing it for pride... it will not profit you... and that is why no priest will allow you to do such action... be obedient and you will be blessed, with a great blessing...

Uhh..I wasn't talking about myself..and why on earth would someone fast to be different or because of pride? I don't see any pleasure in fasting if someone is in great tribulation..I personally don't know anyone who fasts to be "different" or "proud"..sometimes people are in great need and they fast for God to help them and well, when the Holy Fifty days come, they remain in need..so unless they know that you are not supposed to fast, they fast. So, I don't think they are doing it to be "different". If anything, they want to be normal just like everyone else..
  • Uhh..I wasn't talking about myself

now to answer that... let me quote myself...

Sorry if I sounded harsh… I was really advising myself… because I use to always think to do that…

why on earth would someone fast to be different or because of pride? I don't see any pleasure in fasting if someone is in great tribulation..I personally don't know anyone who fasts to be "different" or "proud"

The pride is gonna be from within... you are gonna view yourself as higher than others... because you fast more.... believe me, the devil is a tricky dude.

sometimes people are in great need and they fast for God to help them and well, when the Holy Fifty days come, they remain in need..so unless they know that you are not supposed to fast, they fast.

Does that mean I could fast during Easter Sunday... because I am in tribulation?
    fasting could be done through out the year... as I mentioned before, there are 200+ days we fast during the year... and if these are not enough... then after the permission of your father of confession, fast... but not on feast... which is what the fifty days are... its a feast that goes on for fifty days.

Since we are on the topic of fasting.. you know what they did to a person who fasted (without food or water) on a Sunday... that person would be excommunicated... so imagine that... so fasting is not at anytime...

Also to show you how it could bring pride...

"Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, "God, I thank You that I am not like other men--extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.' And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, "God, be merciful to me a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
  • good staff socoolbishoy!!
  • by the way... I was calm typing this... and I mean it in a very calm vioce... lol... sorry while reading it sounded like I was pissed off or something.... sorry.
  • the best thing when you write when you are calm!!
  • hey i would agree with sandra on what you said for socoolbishoy. it makes on what you said for [glow=red,2,300]The pride is gonna be from within... you are gonna view yourself as higher than others... because you fast more.... believe me, the devil is a tricky dude.[/glow] good stuff!!
  • lol..I wasn't disagreeing that it was wrong..I don't doubt that..I was just explaining that when people fast it isn't always because of pride or to be different because they didn't know it was wrong..I don't know if you understood..
  • Aren't you allowed to fast for personal reasons if your FOC has approved it? That's what mine told me.

sleepy
  • yea but not if you didn't tell him..
  • i think correct me if i am wrong, but the fasts of the church are guidelines. For any other situation, what you fast and how much and when you fast, depends on your confession father...if your confession father wants you to fast for the whole 50 days then of course you should do what he tells you, regaurdless of the feasts.

Shenouda
  • i dont know... the 50 days are supposed to be a time of happiness and rejoicing because Jesus is still presents with us. I mean like, if its something reeeeeaaalllly important then consult your FOC.....
  • i don't think u sould fast in the holy 50 days at all, becuase like u said it is a period of joy and happenies, we concentrte on the resurrection of Jesus christ that we don't even read the synixsar, we are not even allowed to celebrate Birthdays or wedding in the period!! yah it was a suprise 4 me 2

anyways i don't think u sould fast or do matanyat at all, but u could alwayss check w/ ur priest

Mina
  • yes i would agree and i mean you can not celebrate weddings,birthdays or anything like that!!!!! but it is kind of a big deciosion to make!!!!!! god bless all!!!!
    batikha-basketball :)
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=4;threadid=1925;start=0#msg29564 date=1119847777]
    i dont know... the 50 days are supposed to be a time of happiness and rejoicing because Jesus is still presents with us. I mean like, if its something reeeeeaaalllly important then consult your FOC.....

Of course they're supposed to be, but at the same time, your FOC knows best for you, so you CAN fast anytime during the year as long as your FOC knows about it, and approves it.

sleepy
  • ya I think it's ok to not fast for only personal issues other than that you should fast often!
  • Then again, that could be argued against using fasting. People can be absolved from fasting for specific reasons (after they talk to their FOC of course) but at the same time, it's ok. That can be the same for fasting on your own.

sleepy