The many symbols in our faith

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
There are many symbols in our faith. Such as the water throwing, candles, (the boo-kour) The cross father wears, and him wearing black. This may sound silly, but i have a question about why father has a long beard. If he can't shave his beard, why does he have short hair? What does it mean when he has a long beard? I don't understand this, so can anyone please help me. It would be a great help. Thanks and God Bless

Marian

Comments

• “And the LORD said to Moses, "Speak to the priests, the sons of Aaron, and say to them… "They shall not make any bald place on their heads, nor shall they shave the edges of their beards nor make any cuttings in their flesh.”

So the priests grow their beard… but the church giving them a break to cut their hair… also as mentioned by the pope, the only time a person can grow their hair, is if they do it as a commitment, and it needs to be covered… so for a priest, it a hassle, so the church gave permission.

I don’t know if you are asking about the vestment of the priest and the incense and the candles… so I don’t want to give more than asked for… lol… so if you are, I could go on….
  • so...why r all the priest although they are young but ther beard is white! >:( >:( >:(
  • Hello Mary 202,

One of your many question, why there is Boo-Kour “Incense “ in the Coptic Church? And what is the symbolism of it?

Actually it was the commandment of God. I N the Holy Book of Malachi “chapter 1 verse11
    11- “For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the 1Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen, saith the LORD of hosts.”
    The above verse is prophesying about the CHURCH OF THE NEW TESTAMENT, because in the old testament the incense was only offered in Jerusalem. The word “ in every place”means a new thing will take place replacing the old custom. So the church of the new testament must offer incense and if the church dose not practise that it is found disobeying the word of God.

In the Holy Book of Revelation chapter 8 verse 3
    “ And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.” In Heaven, the place of God throne, the practice of offering incense is mentioned many times. The Heaven is the origin from which the church is the model.

The incense symbolize the prayers of the saints.
    1- The incense ascend up and the prayers go up to God in heaven
    2- The incense have a pleasant aroma and God smell the prayer of His saints as good fragrance and accept them

• Thanks socoolbishoy that did help, however i'm still not sure why? what is the meaning of having a long beard? As you can tell I like to ask alot of questions. The other symboles i gave, i already know, i was just trying to make a point. If you know anymore symboles and their meanings, please feel free to post them. Thanks again for the help. God Bless All
    Marian
  • first off, the censer also symbolizes st.mary. she is the censer and jesus is the incense.

secondly, the beards symbolize wisdome (i'm pretty sure)

thirdly, the priests wear black, cuz it symbolizes wisdome and humbleness.

that's as much as i know. however, i was wondering wat is the meaning of the eggs?

God Bless
  • that's as much as i know. however, i was wondering wat is the meaning of the eggs?

It's Symbol that God is looking down and caring for his children as does the bird is looking down and caring for her youngs...and the other way around...it's that we should always focus on God and only God...and look up at him...like the youngs for the birds.
  • yup yup true true marrianne good stuff
    also the priests wear blak coz they carry the burdens of every1 in the church and also for monks isnt it coz their dead to the world? correct me if im rong plz

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!
  • no FULLY RELY ON GOD i think you are right about it! :D
  • [quote author=sandrahanna link=board=4;threadid=1865;start=0#msg28597 date=1118875654]
    people say they wear blak because they are dead from our world!

I think that's for the monks and the nuns...not sure why is it for the abounas as well
  • speak of the devil:

Johnny Cash wore black to carry the burden's of the men in prison, the men in Vietnam, and the ones "whose bad trips left them cold".....

sorry....had to say it...won't do it again