The Queen of the South

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
in matt 12:42
who is jesus refering to when he says:
"The queen of the Southwill rise u in judement with this generation and condemn it,for she came from the end of the earthto hear the wisdom of Solomon; and indeed a greater than Solomon is here."
i know that "greater than Solomon" is refering to himself, but who is the Queen of the South..??
George

Comments

• I wish i could help you more, George, but all that i can remember is that she is also known as Queen Sheba, mentioned in 1Kings 10: 1-10...

I don't know much about her other than she heard about how wise King Solomon was and travelled a long distance to see if what she had heard was true... and she CERTAINLY DID! So she gave him (or his people??) a huge reward...???

Sorry, please, if someone knows more help us out. Sounds like a very interesting point.... What does the verse actually mean??

God Bless You...
    Please pray for my weakness..
  • oh thats the one who travels a long distance to see solomon's wisdom, and when she found him she saw him, resolving the problem with the 2 women and the baby.
    but wat does the condemning mean..
  • It seems that you have a clear understanding on the identiy of the Queen of the South. In regard to the meaning behind the verse; the treasure hidden within the parables of Our lord:

The condemnation has not occured yet occured, but will soon occur. It is the future condemnation by Our Lord after the ressurection of the Dead. Recall the verse in 1 Corinthians 6:2: "Do you not know that the saints will judge the world?".

The Queen of the South was considered by the Judiazers and was re-affirmed by Christ to have been one of the "elect" of God's kingdom.

In the second comming of our Lord, the Saints; those who follow Christ's teachings faithfully; will judge the world of it's sins. Their own good deeds they have on earth will bring judgement upon the wickedness of men. It is their deeds that will actually be used by Our Lord to condemn the sins of the wicked. *Therefore; they will "judge" the world.

Here is the very gemstone of this parrabe;

The Queen of the South traveled an extermly long and prehaps tedious journey to hear Solomon's wisdom. What she was truly seeking was the wisdom of God which she firmly believed had been imparted unto Solomon. She was seeking the truth.

Our Lord condemns "this generation" because they do not seek the truth as the queen had. Furthermore, the pharisees, teachers and much of Jerusalem were not even willing to move one inch to search for God's truth while she traveled hundreds of miles to find it. What's even more ironic is that the very Truth, Himslef, was speaking to them--One who was far greater then Solomon by an innumerable degree--yet they refused to consider any of His words. They refused to even open their ears, let alone travel miles away.

Therfore, the patience, tribulation and perserverance of the Queen is sufficent enough to judge them.

God bless.