Why?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hey everyone ok well i've been reading the topic about the difference between catholic and Coptic Orthodox and well i'm curious.. why are there so many "types" of Christianity you know orthodox, catholic, protestent you get the picture. and also like i don't know how to explain this question but like ok say a Catholic and a Othodox go to heaven.. how can God except both religions?

Comments

• wait not both religions both types of Christianity.. i mean i've read all the differences everyone has written and yeah MANY differences and HUGE ones thats for sure.
  • There are so many types if Christianity because everyone who found something they don't like in their faith, they just go and change it and name it something and it becomes a religion. for example, when Martin Luther saw the infedility in the Catholic Church..he just left it and did the 99 thesis and named the protestant church. Our Coptic faith thou is the orinigal because it's directly from St. Mark and it haven't changed then. We don't know what God is going to deal with Catholics and other religions, but we do know that our Orthodox believes are right and we also know that we should pray for the unity of the church and for the firgivness of our sins.
  • IN NO WAY AM I DOUBTING OUR FAITH! but how do we no we r the only right religion. I mean... the Pope John Paul III... he mite become a saint... is it also gonna be in our religion... like r we gonna consider him a saint? How come we r the only right ones? Dont miracles happen in other faiths of Christianity like Caths? Im confused!

BTW... sry All4Christ about before :-[ :-* :-* lol
  • lol you must be one confused soul
  • I'm still formulating my answer... anyone have thoughts to add, it would really help, thx!
  • why are there so many "types" of Christianity you know orthodox, catholic, protestent you get the picture.

Because man’s fallibility and weakness + the anti-Christ produces schisms, divisions, heresies etc. However the gates of hell do/will/can not prevail over the Church, and hence the Orthodox Church has remained intact, doctrinally speaking.

and also like i don't know how to explain this question but like ok say a Catholic and a Othodox go to heaven.. how can God except both religions?

How can He not? Who are we to place limitations on the saving grace of God? Just because we as Orthodox possess the fullness of truth, it doesn’t mean salvation is only guaranteed within the bounds of our Church; unless you can show me where in the Bible or Church tradition, salvation is dependent on one possessing the fullness of truth. I don't believe this is the criteria of salvation.

but how do we no we r the only right religion

Because we have inherited, maintained and preserved the Apostolic faith in its absolute fullness and without compromise.

mean... the Pope John Paul III... he mite become a saint...

So what? Just because we possess the fullness of truth, it doesn’t mean people of other denominations cannot be considered as righteous men/women.

... like r we gonna consider him a saint?

Probably not. But even if we did, that wouldn’t make any difference to the fact we possess the fullness of truth, whilst the Catholics have deviated from the straight and narrow path?

Dont miracles happen in other faiths of Christianity like Caths?

Sure, why not? Again what does this have to do with the truth we possess? God loves all His children, and His grace is not limited nor bound; He listens to the prayers of all who seek Him, and He is involved and interacts with all those who submit to His Son, and even those who do not. This doesn’t change the fact that we possess the fullness of truth, it is only a reflection of who God is - an being who possesses unconditional and unlimited Love, and Mercy. The Bible said He has given to each a measure of faith, and that He has given some more than others. We have been given the fulllness of truth, thus we must not take it for granted, else we will be held accountable for it in the last day.

Do not take your Orthodoxy for granted; attend the liturgies, the tasbeha's, vespers, the asheya's; pray the daily 7 prayers if you can; fast with the Church, study the faith; live and breath Orthodoxy.

Peace.
  • [quote author=Nahda#1 link=board=1;threadid=1736;start=0#msg26837 date=1117575452]

BTW... sry All4Christ about before :-[ :-* :-* lol

Its ok.. not biggie! :)
  • How can He not? Who are we to place limitations on the saving grace of God? Just because we as Orthodox possess the fullness of truth, it doesn’t mean salvation is only guaranteed within the bounds of our Church; unless you can show me where in the Bible or Church tradition, salvation is dependent on one possessing the fullness of truth. I don't believe this is the criteria of salvation.

Right but the way we believe and the way other religions believe is different like the way we take communion, how do we know our way is the right way?
  • [quote author=WWJD86 link=board=1;threadid=1736;start=0#msg26847 date=1117581829]
    lol you must be one confused soul

lol.. i wanted it to be a Clever and Witty name! ;D
  • Right but the way we believe and the way other religions believe is different like the way we take communion, how do we know our way is the right way?

I basically answered that question as well in my above post. I said:

Because we have inherited, maintained and preserved the Apostolic faith in its absolute fullness and without compromise.

The way we take and regard communion, is the way the earliest Christian took and regarded communion. How did the earliest Christians know how to take communion, and how did they know the correct view concerning the nature of communion? Because the divinely inspired Apostles are the ones who established the Early Church and handed down the traditions they received from Christ to the communities they established. They appointed leaders who succeeded them, and such leaders by virtue of Apostolic succession then possessed the authority to maintain that tradition within the Church, which was indeed maintained faithfully by the One Holy Universal and Apostolic Church according to the promise of our Lord concerning the Holy Spirit who would guide, lead, and preserve The Church into all truth such that the gates of hell never prevails over The Church.

Peace.
  • iqbal that was awsome
  • The way I look at it, is the reason that there are so many denominations of Christianity is because it is a proof that Christianity is the correct religion.

If Christianity did not reveal truth in its teachings then the devil would not have put in so much effort to seperate us into denominations, to make us lose sight of the real meaning of faith Christ. By far there are more sects/denominations and heresies concerning Christianity than any other religion...the result of the devil's struggles to stop us from benefiting from the church and sacraments, the door to salvation.

As for the question "will other denominations enter heaven?"... who are we to judge?
    But I remeber abouna saying that the difference between orthodoxy and other denominations can be likenied to both the orthodox and other Christians drinking tea. But the tea of the orthodox has sugar in it. (In other words bothbenefits from their faith but ours is sweetened by the sacraments, tasbeha, traditions,etc. )

Pray for me
    Stephen
  • i really think there should be different kinds of christianty in the world.
  • [quote author=basketball link=board=1;threadid=1736;start=0#msg27142 date=1117730281]
    i really think there should be different kinds of christianty in the world.

What are u talking about??? We need unity not division ::)
  • Some People just cant take the fact that the bible is the truth so they take stuff out.... luthern
    others take the literal means for the bible
    every one has a different prospective of the bible and of God, causin other christianits to form
    God Bless
    [glow=red,2,300]Marina Botros[/glow]
  • why should we care if there is other reliogns.... we care only about ours right?????
  • we have to care about every thing!!!!!
  • [quote author=basketball link=board=1;threadid=1736;start=15#msg28814 date=1119046698]
    why should we care if there is other reliogns.... we care only about ours right?????

Because the other religions are lies and deceptions from the Evil One and it is our responsibility to save the deceptees from these deceivers and deceptions.
  • i agree with you but we also have to respect them!!
  • okay i think i understand now. thanks for your advice u_stole_my_name.
  • [quote author=sandrahanna link=board=1;threadid=1736;start=15#msg28829 date=1119049010]
    i agree with you but we also have to respect them!!

We have to respect the people in the religions, but necessarily the religions themselves.
  • Religion or denomination?