Amen I/we believe

Hi,

Does anyone know what is the debate about "I" vs "we" in the Liturgical responses (I/we believe)?
Has this been settled or is it still based on the opinion of each Church?

Regards
Yoan.

Comments

• Hi @Yoan,
    I am not sure if there is any debate (correct me if I am wrong though). In Coptic it is ϯⲛⲁϩϯ so it should be I believe with no controversy. My belief is that because a lot of people are accustomed to Arabic that is where the confusion lies. آمين أؤمن the final ن has fused with the following آ to sound like نؤمن which is not, and since only a few know Coptic the majority think that it should be we but that is not right..
    Ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ ⲡϭⲥ
  • Hi Ophadece,

Thank you for your answer.

Deacons who think the correct way is "Amen, we believe" say that there was a typo in the Coptic, it shouldn't be ϯⲛⲁϩϯ but teⲛⲁϩϯ.
    In the same way we say in the institution narrative:
    - We believe
    - We believe that this is true. Amen
    - We believe, we confess and we glorify
    - Amen, Amen, Amen... we praise You, we bless You...

There's no reason to say "I believe" while in the Liturgy we say "we" most of the time.

• The official liturgy book that is accepted by the synod is Fr. Abdelmessieh elmassoudi El barmosi. It says, Ϯⲛⲁϩϯ = I believe = أؤمن. That's it. It's that simple. Typo or not, that's what we ought to say.
  • Liturgy = People, which is plural.

If you pray the Agpeya, you'll see the Litanies, have "I" and then "We" or "Us."

Right before the distribution, Abouna and the Deacon say "I believe that this is so true..."

So, only he and Deacon believe?

English has the most words of any language. Sometimes, a direct translation make no sense, so the plural would work in a Liturgy. It's s not someone sitting and praying alone.

Even at times, my wife will say something incorrectly with a tense or Pronoun and I have no idea what she meant. I would think "We" believe would be logical in English and not against any Canons or church history.