Ethiopian Church

Hey everyone, I seem to have a few misconceptions that I’d like to clear...

1- is HG Anba Makarius Coptic or Eritrean?
(He is part of both Synods)
2-what exactly is happening with HH Abune Antonios? Is he the present pope? Is he good or bad or what?
3-what does Tawahedo mean?

God Bless!

Comments

• i think u mean to ask about the eritrean church.
    that's like confusing canada with usa!
    tewahedo means something related to one, referring to the one true God, i think.
  • Sorry about that, but does anyone still know what’s going on??
  • 1. He's part of both Synods as he was ordained before they were granted autocephaly. 

2. H.H. Abouna Antonios is still recognised as canonical Patriarch of Eritrea by all Oriental Orthodox Church's although He was removed and placed under house arrest by the current Eritrean government and was unjustly deposed as a heretic by the current Eritrean Synod without an ecclesiastical trial. Currently they do not recognise a Patriarch since the one they appointed Died in 2015.
    Basically the government is getting involved and influencing the current clergy inside Eritrea. Which is why most Eritreans outside Eritrea report to the local Coptic bishop. 

3. Tewahedo is a Ge'ez word meaning "being made one" or "unified". 
    This word refers to the Oriental Orthodox belief in the one single unified nature of Christ.
  • Hello my Coptic brothers and sisters, 

1. HG Abune Makarios is a Coptic Orthodox bishop of Eritrean descent and was ordained as the bishop of a renewal sect known as "tehadiso" based in Atlanta. This renewal group traces it's origin to the 70s out of the Medhane Alem Movement and they have been a plague to our unity with their heretical protestant propaganda under the disguise of "orthodox". Wolf in sheep's clothing. This group has been seen functioning as a “holy synod” under HG Abune Mekarios, directly contradicting the Eritrean Orthodox Holy Synod. First and foremost, HG Abune Mekarios doesn’t have any ecclesiastical rights to represent the Eritrean Orthodox Church nor does he have a power to address the Eritrean Orthodox faithful as a shepherd.
    Because the protocol agreement signed between the Coptic and Eritrean Orthodox
    Church, in Article 5, doesn’t allow for any Bishop of individual church to interfere in
    one­ another church’s affairs. 

2. The controversy regarding HH Abune Antonios is complicated and covered in detail in another thread in this forum. I will link a document from the Eritrean Orthodox Tewahdo Church Diocese of North America which covers this controversy in detail: https://english.eritreantewahdo.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/WhyunderminetheHolySynod.pdf 

3. "Tewahedo" is similar to the Arabic "Tawhid" which means "one". In our miaphysite context, "being made one". 

God bless you all and pray for our one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
  • Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate
    H.H. Pope Tawadros I Pope of Alexandria and
    Patriarch ofthe See of St. Mark The Papal Center

222 Ramses St., Abbaseya, Cairo, Egypt Tel: 024822580
    Fax: 0235365880
    email: [email protected]

Cairo, Nov 19, 2014

Ref: Pope\2014\11\12

Authorization

This is to authorize H.G Bishop Makarios Eritrean general bishop at the Coptic Orthodox Church to serve and be in charge of the Eritreans in their churches which are under the supervision of the legal Eritreans Patriarch -Fr.Antonious the first.

God bless you,
    Pope Tawadros II

Tavadras II

Pope of Alexandria and Patriarch of the See of St. Mark

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02WsiBhKntLvTL2AtGynYjw38RsgqRvPQyRhUAG3LrViyU6aQAn6QfoxkXU3ATn11dl&id=100008169817892&mibextid=tejx2t
  • Speaking of the Ethiopian Church, Ethiopian Orthodox Christians are currently in need of prayers and support from sister churches and their members. https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/social-media-restricted-ethiopia-after-church-rift-turns-violent-2023-02-10/