new to Coptic Church-From the Russian Diaspora

edited December 1969 in Introductions
Greeting my Brothers and sisters,Im a newly Convert to Orthodoxy of a year from the Roman Rite Church(catholic)..and well I was interested in The Coptic Church..being of Latin Descent ,it has become almost
non-existent to find another person of Latin Descent..
oh-well Ill be the representation of my race and maybe one day I can gather my people and lead to the Truth..but for now , a simple question how is the sign of the Cross performed in the Coptic Church from the head to the Left or Right shoulder first?
and also when you come to meet a priest do you touch the ground first and then hold your hands to get a blessing and then kiss the priest`s right hand?
just curious as to not shock anyone upon going to my first coptic liturgy or vespers...............Im from the San Jose area of California...............

Comments

• Welcome Spyridon,

I'm very happy that you have found the truth in Holy Orthodoxy, may God bless and guide this path you have taken. You have asked some very easy questions to start off with! Feel free to ask any more that you may have.

Regarding the sign of the Cross, it is performed from the left shoulder to the right shoulder.

As for greeting the priest,the practise as you have stated is formally correct, however the touching of the ground first is often left out - just the mere reception of the priests hand and the kissing of it for the casual greeting is okay.

Again, please feel free to ask any further questions and I hope you enjoy and benefit from the holy liturgy.

Peace.

• I think that the touching of the ground is sometimes or usually done before a Bishop or other "high ranking" clergy...

• Welcome Spyridon,

I am glad that you have chosen the correct faith, Orthodoxy.

We are looking forward to hear from you and enjoy your contribution to the tabeha.

May the Lord bless you.
  • welcome aboard to this amazing faith
    i wish u all the best in ur life
    god bless ya ;)
    mazza (aka marina lol)
  • Welcome Spyridon,
    It makes me so happy when people convert to copts! As Iqbal said feel free to ask more questions because it can all b quite confusing at the beginning...

I pray that God will help u grow in his name and the true coptic orthodox faith
    God bless u

Peter
  • Hi and welcome....

Like mentioned before, feel free to ask questions and get involved with the threads...some of them are really good and insightful (though, to be honest, i can't say that about all of them...unfortunately!)

The name's Sinful Servant, at your service. Feel free to ask me any questions...

Sinful Servant
  • WELCOME to this absolutely fantastic way of living glad to hear u converted and lookin forward to hearing wat u hav to say and as sed earlier ask as much as u want GBU

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!!!!