Contradiction in Corinthians...

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out why certain parts of the Bilble seem to contradict each other. For example:

"And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy."
Corinthians 7:13-15

...but then...

"Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has lightness with darkness? And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever?"
2 Corinthians 6:14-16

In the world that we live in now, it's often difficult to segregate and commune with just the "believers." And then reading both verses (and ironically both Corinthians) leaves me a bit confused as to which is the preferred course of action; favored in God's eyes.

..I know "PrincessMary" will have a great answer ;)

Chris

Comments

• Hello my dear friend, my name is Fred & I live in Australia. Please allow me to offer some help with love.

I think the passage of scripture in Corinthians 7 is specifically referring to thoes who were married before they entered into Christianity.

At that time the church encouraged thoes already married, where, one of whom wanted to become baptised and subsequently Christian, to stay married to the partner who did not wish to partake in the conversion. This was acceptable then in hope that the one who did not become Christian, may be persuaded to Christianity by the loveing conduct and behavior of the newly made Christian partner. Besides the church would never encourage separation of a married couple just because one decided to become Christian and the other not. If the church did this it would then be guilty of encoraging devorce, and this is totally against God's commandment. So the church taught that it was Ok to take along an unbelieving wife or husband, 1- to maintain their marriage 2- in hope that the one who decided not to become Christian may eventually be won over and converted.

The later passage of scripture in reference to not mixing with the ungodly, is specifically referring to the desasterous consequences for Christians who mix with or make friends with thoes who are ungodly. If we are good and wholesom Christians, attending church, in prayer and fastings most of our lives, then what have we to do with thoes who will encourage us otherwise? It is better for us to aquaint our selves with thoes who share the same Godly intrest as us. This maximises our chances of focussing on God's kingdom and encourages and influences us to Holiness rather than ungodliness. That's what it is basically saying.

So, one is talking about certain circumstances in the marriage situation, and the other is warning of the consequences of mixing with the ungodly and thoes who may potentially lead us astray.

I hope I haven't made things worse and that all is now clear. Thank you for allowing me to share my view, God bless you and please remember me in your prayer, your brother Fred.
  • well i dont think I can answer any better than Freddy, he pretty much summed it up :)

I think it just means be careful who u choose, because fellowship with unbelievers may cause u to go astray and may cause u to be separated from the one whom u love the most, Jesus Christ, nothing is worth separating u from your beloved savior, nothing is worth letting u go far away from Him, as a lost sheep, "and have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness but rather expose them" Ephesians 5:11, anything that will weaken your relationship with Christ, stay away from it and avoid. But yet at the same time, this doesnt mean that we will completely avoid contacts with the world, but St. Paul is warning us that make sure no one affects us but on the other hand we affect them by being a good role model for them , make sure that u hold strong in your faith so that it may not be shaken, be a light unto others, so that your family may be blessed with God's many blessings, even though your husband/wife may be an unbeliver, do your best walk in Christ's light and they seeing your good example, God will open their hearts and make them see His light as well, and they shall be in darkness no more. Follow God's path forever, all the days of your life, and see how by your good actions, others eyes and hearts will be opened and will come to believe in the heavenly king as well. :)

God bless everyone and may He His love and peace remain in your hearts forever :)
    pray for me the sinner
    mary
  • I think you have a sked a fair question.

However, pay close attention to the scenario surrounding each passage. One talks of unity in "marriage" with an unbeliever and the possibility of "divorce". The other, talks of untiy in "spirit" with an unbeliever and the possibiltiy of "corruption".

The first refers to the tolearation and endurance of another individual's faults. However, it is not merely any other individual....., it is an individual in which you have already been united to in the sacrament of matrimony. Christ Himslef, definitivley states that a certificate of divorce is unpermissable except for "marital unfaithfulness". Therefore, the assumption must be made that the individual married his "ungodly" spouse not knowing that she was ungodly. In the realization of her "unfaithfulness", he is permitted to divorce her.

*Nevertheless, Saint Paul compells the listener to remain, "if [she] is willing to live with [him]", because he scantifies her through his belief. Most assurdley, an unbelieving spouse who is willing to "live with a believer" is open-minded and capable of transformation to the better.

The second quotation holds no pre-indication of Providential affrimation or divine unity with another individual. The scenario pre-supposes individuals who are merely "neighbors", and have no perpetual reponsibility towards one another. Notice how Saint Paul draws out a trajectory moving from the abstract to the to the proximite to the personal. He first speaks of "lawlessness", then of "darkness", and finally of absolutley "demonic". It is to say, those who unite spritually with an unbeliever have not merely broken the law, strayed away from the light of Christ, but have ultimatley become coalessed with evil itself.

*This pertains even to the individual who is married to an unbeliever. Although he is to unite with her personally and romantically he is called to sanctify her "spirtually"...., never to be "yoked" to her erroneous spirit. He is called to "yoke" her spirit to his Chritian spirit.

*So one is to never aquaint themselves with the evil acts of others or to share in the spirtual corruption of others. This especially true for the Christian who is already married to a non-Christian. Now, if her spouse is does not rouble her spirtually, but is "willing" to live with her, she should remain in the marriage for she is a witness to him.

Therfore, I see no direct contradictions.

God bless.
  • But is an unbeliever incapable of making pure love with his partner? should they abstain from sex?
  • An Interesting point.

If unbelievers were prohibited from sexual contact, even intercourse, then why would Saint Paul speak of children?

However, your point is essentially significant. The power of our passions are so pertinent, that seperating the emotional, physical and spirutal aspects of sex becomes extremley difficult. The vary passions of the body infringe upon the liberation of the spirit. Take King Solomon's life as an example. His very downfall was due to the uncontrolled passions of his heart.

*This is one reason why it is not permissible for individuals of different faiths to marry.

If you are already married to an unbeliever, the decision becomes all the more difficult. OUr Chritian faith is predominantley the master of our desires; it should never be the other way around.
    Be sure you speak to your father of confession, or another church father regarding this matter before making a decision.

God bless