A Petjeek Evol

Ok so I know that in Coptic putting `A at the start of a sentence means the sentence is in the past tense.
So why is the sentece `A Petjyk `Ebol  (from the hymn of the same name) in the past tense? "Perfect was the blessing.."? Is it because the second half of the sentence is past tense? Or is this something deeper?

Thank you and God bless.

Comments

• It's just that this hymn has been passed down with a few grammatical mistakes.. However the in the first verse the alpha is the past tense of the verb ì towards the beginning of the second stanza. I hope that makes sense..
    Oujai khan ebshois
  • In other words Daniel, the translation is wrong.

The subject of the sentence is Petjek `ebol tou logou Pefiwt, which is a bilingual mix of Sahidic Coptic and Greek. Petjek ebol is Sahidic for the Perfect One. Tou is the Greek genitive or possessive pr adjective and Logou is the genitive or adjective form of Logos. And Pefiwt is Coptic for His father. The whole subject is "The Logos Perfect One of His Father". Since this is awkward in English, it is "The Perfect Logos of His Father"

As you noted, the A at the start of the sentence denotes the past tense. It is attached to the verb "i" which means "came". 

So the translation is "The Perfect Logos of His Father came. He was incarnate as a perfect man."

Hope that makes sense.
  • @Remnkemi...how about putting together a quick document for a proper translation for the 3 main parts of the hymn? The latter verses are just "The blessing of...."
  • @Remnkemi that makes sense. The break-up of the stanzas made it seem different. Thanks
  • Another question for this hymn: Is it correct to say Ere pi`cmou for the saint of the church? If it is, what should it be like as a general reference?
  • Dear @Daniel_Kyrillos
    Yes that is perfectly fine. What do you mean by asking what should it be like?
    Ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ Ⲡ̀ϭⲥ
  • Ⲁⲡⲉⲧϫⲏⲕ ⲉ̀ⲃⲟⲗ ⲛ̀ϫⲉ ⲡⲓⲥ̀ⲙⲟⲩ του λογου Ⲡⲉϥⲓⲱⲧ: ⲓ̀ ⲁϥϭⲓσαρξ ϩⲱⲥ ⲣⲱⲙⲓ ⲛ̀τελιος.
    δοξα πατρι και υιω και αγιω πνευματι
    Ⲁⲡⲉⲧϧⲉⲗϧⲱⲗϥ ⲛⲁⲩ ⲉ̀ⲣⲟϥ: ⲁⲡⲉⲧϧⲉⲗϧⲱⲗϥ ϣⲟⲡ ⲛⲉⲙⲱⲧⲉⲛ: ⲁⲡⲉⲧϧⲉⲗϧⲱⲗϥ ⲁϣϥ ϩⲓϫⲉⲛ ⲡⲓσταυρος
    και νυν και αι και ις τους εωνας των εωνων αμην
    Ⲑⲁⲓ ⲧⲉ ϯⲛⲟⲩ ⲉ̀ⲧⲉ: ⲑⲁⲓ ⲧⲉ ϯσεβηρος ϯπροσκυνισης τω μονω χριστος
    (Ⲉⲣⲉ ⲡⲓⲥ̀ⲙⲟⲩ ⲛ̀ϯτριας ⲉ̅ⲑ̅ⲩ̅) ⲃ̅: Ⲫ̀ⲓⲱⲧ ⲛⲉⲙ ⲡ̀Ϣⲏⲣⲓ ⲛⲉⲙ ⲡⲓπνευμα ⲉ̅ⲑ̅ⲩ̅.
    (Ⲉ̀ⲣⲉ ⲡⲓⲥ̀ⲙⲟⲩ ⲛ̀ϯθεοτοκος) ⲃ̅: μαρια Ⲑ̀ⲙⲁⲩ ⲛ̀Ⲓⲏ̅ⲥ̅ Ⲡⲭ̅ⲥ̅.
    (Ⲉⲣⲉ ⲡⲓⲥ̀ⲙⲟⲩ ⲙ̀ⲡⲉⲛπατριαρχης) ⲃ̅: ⲛ̀ⲓⲱⲧ ⲉⲧⲧⲁⲓⲏⲟⲩⲧ ⲛ̀αρχιερευς παπα αββα ⲛⲓⲙ
    Ⲉⲩⲓ̀ ⲉ̀ϩ̀ⲣⲏⲓ ⲉ̀ϫⲉⲛ ⲡⲁⲓλαος ⲧⲏⲣϥ: ϫⲉ αμην ⲉⲥⲉ̀ϣⲱⲡⲓ.
    καθολικον

On reviewing the text it seems a Bohairic text all through, with a few Greek verses. The alpha at the start is legitimate for past tense. It should translate as
    The Perfect of blessing, The Logos of His Father came. He was incarnate (took flesh literally) as a perfect man

• @Ophadece yes, I'd think it'd be (Ere pi`cmou `nte (`m)piMarturouc nim for martyrs, `mpeniwt `ndikewc for Male saints, `nte ]agia for females. Is that correct? 
  • Ⲡⲁⲙⲉⲛⲣⲓⲧ @Daniel_Kyrillos
    Don't put either ⲙ̀ or ⲛ̀ after ⲛ̀ⲧⲉ. Otherwise the format is spot on..
    Ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ Ⲡ̀ϭⲥ