Discriminated in the Coptic church: marriage

edited May 2017 in Faith Issues
I have been attending the Coptic Orthodox Church for about a year now. I am Hispanic descent, born and baptized catholic but raised Protestant. I believe God brought me to the Coptic while I searched for the apostolic church and to him be all the glory for where I am now.
Fitting into the church had its challenges but God was faithful and the church showed me love and encouragement.
However, I noticed i was treated differently when a friend and i became close and had a romantic interest. My luck it was abounas daughter, and abouna told her she wanted her with an Egyptian kid. This confused me, and I felt discriminated because of the country I was born in. God is a loving and faithful God, it was his will I was born in the country I was born, and his will Im in the Orthodox Church. But how can I feel accepted in the church and bring others to the body of Christ if I am not completely accepted because of the color of my skin or the language I speak.
Samuel 16:7
7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees;[a] for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
What should I do, I know I must have faith but it feels wrong to me, that I am being judged not based on my character, job,or faith but the country I was born in.

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Hello Daniel24,

I don't see your specific case to be considered discrimination. When it comes to marriage, it can't be considered so. Each person chooses another that they want to marry based on specific criteria. A factor into that is the approval of the family. If the family is not comfortable with the other person, then that's just it. Now I am not saying that they are free of criticism...but it's just the way people are. If that girl (I am assuming that you are a guy) chooses to leave her family, move elsewhere and marry you, it may not be unlawful before God, but it will definitely be frowned upon. 

One can never ever force others to think in a specific way. You can only deal with the way they act...and that's the only thing that you can judge.
  • You seem to loving of God and you knoiw He is righteouus, however, we are less and are weak and need to feel secure, even within our own culture. It's because we know our culture so well and of it's connections. It would be hard, or harder, for someone from outside this culture to enter into this connected and protected culture, but for the outsider, they should do their best to honour it and respect it and I know that the outsider feels like you are together, but in reality, as you expressed Daniel 24, you came from a different culture, and I think this is what you we have to come to terms with first before you jump into a relationship that may have a cultural boundary to overcome. It takes time and the young, I know, like things to come quickly, so be patient
    My reply to Samual 16:7 about appearances and looking to the inside of someone is:
       To have honour inside as it's a great virtue.
     2 Corinthians 8:21    Providing honourable things, not only in the sight of the Lord, but also in the sight of men.
      Hounour means a number of things and honesty is one. If you are honest with yourself, then you will be fair and accept and acknowledge more readily outcomes that may go against you. Doesn't mean that you give up, but does mean you may have to look for a solution that is successful for all involved.

God bless and I am happy you are in the faith of the Coptic church. Again, be patient because it is a calm state and decisions are best when calm and not in the high state.
  • @Daniel24 is she worth it to you? Just because abouna told her that (at some point in time,) doesn't mean he still thinks so, and it doesn't mean you can't change his mind with your actions.