25% of America is Atheist

Hey everyone,

I recently learned that apparently 25% of America is Athiest, I was shocked! Then I thought about why this might be and I. Concluded two reasons why.

1. Darwinism Opinions
2 Evangelical Christians

Well let's get the easy one out of the way first shall we, ever since Darwinism was required to be taught in schools, kids have felt that they simply think because it's "fact" they must accept it or they end up thinking that if they don't accept Darwinism they feel like there's something wrong with them and feel compelled to accept it no matter what.

And now for the more weird opinion, Evangelical Christians especially where I live, are becoming more "rabid" in a sense to find a style of worship that works for them since more and more people are growing out of Protestantism and becoming Another jurisdiction, or becoming Athiest. (Just look at the "Christians" in the Jesus Camp documentary). Please feel free to correct me or give me your viewpoint in this discussion.

In Christ,
Justice

Comments

• No brother...it's neither this nor that...Atheism will exist with or without evolution. Atheism is older than Christianity.

Rather it is contingent upon the pride and the attachment to the world, and we have to be more than sacrificial to show ourselves "not of this world" so that they may see God in us, in our actions and in our lives. And that requires that we turn the world upside down through the extreme virtues demanded to us by Christ, of which most of us seem to fall short of. It is this lack of taking our faith seriously that is the cause of atheism.

Protestants indeed are trying to find more worldly worship, and that has shown to be a spiritual failure. The essence of Orthodox worship is rejection of worldly standards and bring the soul to heavenly standards.

I will say, in my humble opinion, that evolution, like all science, can be embraced if you don't see it a source of life, but as a source of knowledge and advancement of humanity, knowledge of the consistency of God's works, and knowledge for the sake of the glory of God and not for selfish reasons. Evolution to me does not and will never contradict the FACT that God is still our creator, in every single way.
  • I totalally agree with you Mina. Even on evolution, but for the point it the other post. When I was young and learned about evolution; how the fish came onto land and repeatedly changed it's form to adapt to the enviroment, the question came to my mind how was it related to God? I came up with that it was all of His created world ( the birth of the world and one that will die) and that at some point He was going to reveal Himself and that Adam was the recepient. Athiests choose to have their end in a dying world being in agreement with sin, like pride denying Christ's message. 
  • You must not believe this.Only 15% of american population are nouns(not only atheists,but and agnostics and other).I live in Egypt this find in internet.
  • Hi Justice,

You made a few errors which I'd like to bring your attention to/

1. There are more than just 2 reasons people are atheist. Likewise, it would be inaccurate of me to say there are *only* 2 reasons why people are Coptic Orthodox:

a. People are born with Coptic parents,
    b. It's hard for people to change habits, so they don't.

But I won't say that except to show an example.  Instead, I'll say that there are innumerable reasons to be Atheist or anything else for that matter.

2. Additionally, you said that you "thought about it" and you concluded the way things are. Congratulations! This is an opinion, but if you really wanted to know then take try this thought experiment:

Is there any way to know what it is like to be Athiest without trying it? Not without a very specific condition...Which is this. There is no way for you to know what Kofta tastes like without having had Kofta. You can smell Kofta, you can even read a story about Kofta, or your tata can make kofta for you, but there is no way to know what Kofta tastes like without having tried it yourself. This is called Epistemology which is heavily studied in Philosophy and the Greeks especially had some good discussions. This would teach you that the best way to ponder such a question is to seriously give Athiesm a chance. Give it a try. There is no better way "to know" than to experience. Sitting and "thinking about it" is what I like to call naval gazing ;)

3. Evolution is a fact. Try and reconcile it with your faith if you can. And consider the awesome implications of it that should add some color to your life! Try Neil Degrasse Tyson:

4. You can't know how other people feel. Saying "I feel that kids might so and so about darwinism..." would be better. But again, there is no way to know how they feel, unless you are in fact: a kid who was in that position. In which case you could say "I feel."

• Thank you for your reply Voltaire! Also is Neil degrades Tyson a Christian!?
  • No he is not. While a well-respected scientist, I'd take any views from him outside of science with a grain of salt.
  • edited May 2017
    Dear Justice,

My advice to you: keep searching for the ways of Christ our God, and keep your mind always in a humble state, for God comes to the humble and lowly in heart and rejects the prideful.

But do so like a bodybuilder. For just as a bodybuilder takes months and maybe even years to have the perfect physique, your mind needs to have its exercises with very long patience to be more perceptible of the divine.

God bless!
  • @Justice; No, but that doesn't mean you can't read/learn from others in this world.

Think about it and reconcile it with your faith, if you can.
  • voltaire said:

@Justice; No, but that doesn't mean you can't read/learn from others in this world.

I was born as Egyptian muslim.I convert secret to coptic christianity after.I live in Egypt.I dont was born coptic.I know many egyptians exmuslims here in egypt who convert secret to coptic christianity.What do you say about this?
  • voltaire said:

@Justice; No, but that doesn't mean you can't read/learn from others in this world.

I was born as Egyptian muslim.I convert secret to coptic christianity after.I live in Egypt.I dont was born coptic.I know many egyptians exmuslims here in egypt who convert secret to coptic christianity.What do you say about this?
  • @Egyptian1997 — That's great. I'm really glad it's working out for you! How do you feel about what's being said here?

Personally, I wouldn't want to live in Egypt due to the outright oppressive regime and lack of human rights.
  • Egypt maybe is not the best country for a christian that is true.Today(26/5/17) we have(in egypt) a new terrorist attack of isis if read the internet.But Egypt is the country of Copts!The 85% of Copts live in Egypt and only 15% in diaspora.How must feel i dont understand what you mean.
    Sorry for my bad emglish but i speak only Arabs and sometimes and French.
  • The attack happened in Minia a town who the 50% of population are Coptic christians.
  • @Egyptian1997 That's cool to learn! It's truly the home of the Copts.

So, do you know any Atheists in Egypt? I read that they are very oppressed in Egypt. Less than 900 of them are accounted for in Egypt.

And when I ask "How do you feel" in this context, I mean to ask what are you emotionally reacting to in this discussion?
  • I dont know any atheists in egypt.I think the many atheists egyptians go to west.And if meet an atheist and answer never say that atheist or exmuslim.So its not easy to find atheists who call themselve atheists in egypt.
  • Voltaire sorry for my question but what religion you have?You are muslim or christian?Because sometimes egyptian muslims use the internet to find exmuslims and that is problem.
  • No, @Egyptian1997 1+1 ≠ 11 and I've never been a Muslim
  • voltaire said:

No, @Egyptian1997 1+1 ≠ 11 and I've never been a Muslim

You are egyptian?