Cristological Controversy

Hello all, 
I'm really interested in learning about the events surrounding the Council of Chalcedon that led to the schism between the Oriental Orthodox Churches and the rest of Christianity. I have a basic understanding but I would love to know more. So what I'm asking for are book recommendations. If you know a book (ancient or contemporary) that deals with topics regarding the events at Chalcedon please share the title with me. I'd prefer the book be well balanced and fair without any clear bias, however, I understand that this may be difficult to find so if a book has a clear bias one way or another please provide a disclaimer. 
Thank you 
Girgis

Comments

• You're going to get bias. There are generally 3 (maybe 4) views on interpreting the events of Chalcedon. There's the anti-Chalcedonian view. There's the pro-Rome Chalcedonian view. There's the pro-Constantinople Chalcedonian view. There is maybe a separate Nestorian view of events that generally might agree with the anti-Chalcedonian view. If you want to do good research, you will need to read all the views and get acquainted with reading the minutes themselves. I will compile a list for you later if interested.
  • You make a fair point. I'd still like the list. Thank you in advance!
  • I'm so sorry for taking so long to answer you. I will post some sources tonight.
  • Can't go wrong starting with the acts of Chalcedon: http://ixoyc.net/data/fathers/624.pdf

The Defense of Chalcedon in the 6th Century: The Doctrine of 'Hypostasis' and Deification in the Christology of Leontius of Jerusalem http://golibgen.io/view.php?id=619192  Leontius actually recognized our shared Christology and was writing to the "Severians" in order to demonstrate that fact.
  • edited November 2016
    In addition to the Acts of Chalcedon by Price and Gaddis posted above (I'm not sure if it's a good idea to post a pdf publicly when it is still copyright):

OO perspective:
    The Council of Chalcedon Re-Examined by Fr. V.C. Samuel
    Orthodox Christology by Fr. Peter Farrington
    Christology and the Council of Chalcedon by Fr. Shenouda Maher

Roman Catholic:
    The Council of Chalcedon by R.V. Sellers
    Christ in Christian Tradition (four volumes) by Fr. Aloys Grillmeier

Byzantine:
    Christ in Eastern Thought by Fr. John Meyendorff
    Imperial Unity and Christian Divisions by Fr. John Meyendorff
    The Byzantine Fathers of the Fifth Century by Fr. Georges Florovsky

It is also good to read some of the minutes and articles of the unofficial Joint Commissions between the Oriental Orthodox and the Byzantine Orthodox:

If you can also go to a Roman Catholic university library and pick up the volumes of the minutes and papers between the Roman and Eastern Catholics and the Oriental Orthodox, that would be very helpful as well (the name of the periodical company is "Wort und Wahrheit", but they are in English, Supplementary Issues 1-4 1971, 1973, 1976, and 1978 respectively).  I am lucky to own these volumes as my grandfather used to be involved in the dialogues themselves.  If I ever get the time, I will try to copy them and put them together to a pdf:
  • Thanks for the recommendation!
  • Actually,the Greek Orthodox Church and the Coptic Orthodox Church are working to repair their relationship.I hope we will be united as soon as possible.
  • They've been working on it since the 1960s.

Pray for that effort to continue.  There's still a lot of work to do.
  • edited January 2017