Hymns Presentation

I'm a student in a liberal arts school and I have to take a course that covers a creative requirement. The class I'm taking to cover this requirement is Music History. My textbook has a section on Egypt and it says "not much is known about the music tradition before Islam." In the beginning of the semester the professor said if we have any background info on anything to share with her. So naturally I wrote a wordy e-mail about coptic "music" (hymns). Now she's asking me to 'describe Coptic services to class', as most (if not all hymns) are sung during services. I am very familiar with the services and hymns. However I need guidance as I don't know what to start with and where to go from there. So I kindly ask you all to help a little.
How would you describe coptic hymns and services in a nutshell without watering them down too much?
P.S. Sorry for the long post.

Comments

• Use this article from the Coptic encyclopedia:

It describes current practices, ancient practices and historical data from Ancient Egypt and Jewish traditions written by musicologists. Just keep in mind, that Rageb Moftah held the opinion that Coptic music is pharaonic, which is not true (and of course, he is one of the authors of this long article).

If you want more detailed information, let me know. 
  • Thank you for the link!! And if Coptic music isn't pharaonic then what is it?
  • It IS Coptic. That's it. There is an indigenous people and ethnic group that uses it. There are no Ancient Egyptians or pharaonic evidence to validate or show how Coptic music existed before the 12-14th century AD (give or take) inside or outside the Coptic Church. There is some evidence that show similarities to Ancient Egyptian musical customs (like instrument types and musical training but not recorded or transcribed musical evidence).Similarities do not equate to confident, proven theory or fact.

• My music teacher said something similar but in a more subtle way (about ancient music in general). But I get your point.