Desiring the priesthood

Something I've noticed with a friend of mine is that he wants to be ordained a priest. I know for sure cause he's told me. From what I understand, it's not right to desire any priesthood rank, how do I explain this to him?

Comments

• Depending on their age, advice to focus on study / work / further study. If interested in theology may take a course. Can volunteer or gain experience in community work (because a large amount of time is spent dealing with people and their problems, advising and guiding).

If it is meant to be, God will make it happen. If not, the person will not be deluded and waste their time unproductively. Whatever anyone aspires to be, they should always be expanding their knowledge and experience.
  • I remember Pope Shenouda saying something along the lines of "Those who desire it [the priesthood] don't deserve it, and those who deserve it don't desire it."
  • There is a saying about getting ordained a priest: you don't ask for it but you should not say no to it. 

The thing is, people place priests in a higher status. Many looks at that and lust for that power and authority. That's a sin. 
  • God chooses a priest as God chose our Pope.
    In John 15:16 Jesus says "You did not choose Me, but I chose you that you should go and bear fruit, and that fruit should remain, and that whate very you ask the Father in My name He may give you.
    Then once chosen he can offer to God by his appointment as in Hebrews 5:1
    For every high priest taken from men is appointed for men in things pertaining to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins.

God chooses so it isn't your friends desire that he needs to look inward at.
  • Joshuaa: Your words are more true than you can imagine. Very well said.