what should i do? Re: Liturgy

hi everyone
i got small problem
whenever i go to church i don't feel the enjoyment anymore
if i go to the liturgy from the beginning i get bored very easily and also my thought drift away
one abouna tells don't hold the book just close ur eyes and just listen but when i close my eyes i feel sleeping
and if i go late i still feel bored
i don't know what's wrong with me
i used love being in the church love to attend the liturgy from the beginning
but now doesn't matter to me anymore
but i decide to get some guidness
i read a lot books about how to spend or benefit from the liturgy it didn't help me at all.
If Your In My Spot what should you do?

Comments

• hey christ_lover.. yes i often have this problem...
    I guess this is the devil's way of turning us away from God..
    But what i find is that prayer really helps.. and also reading the bible often.
    Like waking up early and praying the morning prayer before I go 2 church really helps and prepares my heart for going to God's house... Also like listening to christian music on the radio...worship songs.. gets me in the mood for church.
    and also just try to say the prayers with all your heart forgetting the world around u.. it strengthens your prayer..
    i hope this helped a little ::)

God Bless U!
  • the best way to not get bored, is to stay alive during the liturgy by that i mean understand everything that goes on, you said you read many books on how to benfit, try reading some books on the history of the liturgy you would be AMAZED about the things that happen in our liturgy, so many people do understand the great things that happed, and i dont mean things that you see im talking about things that are said that have a very nice meaning,

the second thing for you to do is to learn the hymns of the liturgy, once you stay in tune and learn the hymns, I Promise you won't get bored, you will love going to the liturgy.

By the way, Laura is right the devil is present everywhere and he will to try to hinder you from benfiting in anyway possible. Whenever you feel sleepy or bored remember its the devil and keep thinking of beating him and not falling for his tricks.

-mina
  • Before you go to the liturgy, pray that God may open your mind and your heart, to hear His words

Try to see, what makes you not enjoy the liturgy, it could be that your mind is busy thinking about other things,,,,, so see what occupies your mind and your thoughts, and try to replace all the worldly thoughts and worries with heavenly thoughts, so that during the liturgy you will really feel like you are in heaven with Jesus,

dont let anything distract you from Jesus, just remember that He is infront of you everywhere and at all times, and on the altar, is His precious body and His blood, that He shed for you, think of all of the saints and martyrs icons in the church around you and think of how much they loved Jesus even to death, so howcome is it that we can not spend just some of our time with Him and enjoy it, when they, humans as us spent their whole lives with Him, they left everything to follow Him! think of all of the symbols in the church and concentrate on them
  • I think it is important to know what is going on in the litergy as it is full of meaning. U can get books and videos explaining why abouna does this and why the congregation does that. They explain every thing in the mass.
    for example did u know the part after 'He Blessed it....He Sanctified it...where we bow down- the Holy Spirit actually descends on the bread and wine and they become the body and blood of Christ from then on.
    Also, I dont know if youve seen abouna when he breaks the body of CHrist into the 12 pieces- representing the 12 disciples, abouna does it in a special way...
    Other ways to be active during the mass is to sing all the responses...every time you say Amen or Lord Have Mercy after a prayer God will truly save one more person!

I hope this helps and may God help us all understand and benefit from his Holy liturgies,

PEter
  • at our church we had this problem too so our church decided that we do something different every week so we dont get bored or have the same routine as usually. what i mean by doing something different is like whether doing some different hymns or abouna doing gregorian or something. maybe your bored becuase you are used to the same thing every week. to not get bored or sleepy, get involved alot with church, sing hymns, read some readings, do somehting that will stop you from getting bored.
  • the best thing prevent you from getting bourd is to stay up in the front and watch everything the preist deos this way no way to get bourd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

god bless you and protect you!
    your sister sandra!
  • thats a good idea sandra
    i know im not helping but something similar happened with someone in a church my bro went to and while the liturgy was going on he saw this guy, like every few minutes shake his head. My bro went up to him and asked if he was okay and the person just said he was fine.. he said that he was just trying to get all the "worldly" thoughts out of his head and was trying to pay attention to the liturgy.
    i thought that was really cool :)
    my sis told me to hold the book and just pay attention to every word abouna says and it goes by fast and u learn a lot!
    - your sis in Christ, makook
  • that is cool tho but i do this when am about to fell asleep!
  • That situation often happens to me... but this is how i deal with it:
    I listen, i mean REALLY LISTEN, to what abouna is saying and i try to make a link with my own spiritual life, and before you know it, I'm so into the prayers, I'm crying :'( ;D Thinking about your life relating to what the priest says is very beneficial becuase you really rediscover yourself in all your aspects.
  • :) ;) hehe all fantastic responses thats great
    well what i do if i loose concentration yar i HAVE to look at the overhead coz sometimes by accident i say bits im not supposed to say lol but then again if u read book or follow on overhead whichever you concentrate on the words and what abouna is saying. also what sandra said its good often to sit at the front, i personally dont like it i stick to the back but once i had to do the laptop and i was at the front and it really is amazing first reason as sandra mentioned you look and see what abouna is doing (and u need some background information on that to c y) also not just that the only thing in front of u (besides deacons) is the alter like the throne of God in front of you and that helps you concentrate more as u are not looking how this girl did her hair and this other persons clothes, the only focus is on God
    there are specific psalms i think you are supposed to say before you go to church
    'On the way to the church it is recommended to pray the following psalms from the Agbia book: 121 (the Sunset prayer, eleventh hour), 83 (from the Sixth hour prayer), and psalm 14 (from the first hour prayer)
    When entering the church, pray with the psalmist, "But as for me, I will come into Your house in the multitude of Your mercy. In fear of You, I will worship towards Your holy temple" (psalm 5:7).
    9) When you reach the alter, make the sing of the cross, and knee down and worship (prostrate) three times saying, "I worship you, O Christ our God, with Your Good Father, and the Holy Spirit, for you have come and saved us".'
    there are some good points
    and also the night before dont watch a violent movie or whatever get into fights with your siblings etc. concentrate on God even while you are sleeping try to keep peace as u are going to meet the King first thing next day
    lol where is shnoods he is the best at this topic

hope i helped
    GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!!!!!!
  • hope i helped

Yes you did! Great answers guys!
  • FROG you never cease to amaze me ;D

FROG makes a good point, we should spend the day with God...and not get distracted by other thing...Forget everything on that Day even if you have a problem...the problem will still be there after the liturgy.

Remember to keep the sabath holy as Frog said...concentrate on God only. One day in seven we have to spend with God i think is fair (thanks God for giving us one in 7 days to keep with you).

Thoughts of Distractions are normal, but some thoughts can be cause by the devil, that take us away from concentrating on God.

Shenouda.
  • glad i helped keep.smiling :) lol thnc shnoods hay explain that bubble thing its awesome hehe u explain everything better than me ;)

i might go off the topic a bit but i found a pamphlet bout partaking in the Holy Liturgy and Holy Communion its really cool MAYBE there is something in it bout this i dunno here goes:

The Holy Liturgy
    the holy liturgy essentially institutes the sacrament of the eucharist. the sacrament of Communion is a Holy Sacrament by which the beliver eats the Holy Body and Precious Blood of Jesus Christ, presented by the bread and wine. this sacrament has the greatest importance among the 7 church sacraments. it is sometimes called the 'Mystery of Mysteries' or the 'Crown of sacraments', for all the sacraments are crowned by the Eucharist:
    1. the person baptised must recieve communion directly after baptism
    2. the repentant person must recieve Communion after having confession
    3. the oerson who marries must recieve communion after the wedding (which must take place between the Matina and Holy mass), this is according to the original Rite of matrimony
    4. also, whoever is ordainded with any priestly rank must recieve communion following the Holy mass of is ordination.

the Lord Jesus institusted the Holy Eucherist on covenant thursday in the uppwe eoom of zion, shortly before His arrest and trial. after He celebrated the rite of passover of the jews, He rose and washed the feet of His disciples, as a sign of repentance and preparation, then sat down and instituted the passover of the New Covenant, which is the Sacrament of Holy Communion.

Why we need to prepare for the Liturgy
    its important that we prepare for the holy Liturgy to ensure that we benefit spiritually and physically from the sacrament of eucharist. we need to prepare for the Holy liturgy to:
    +benefit spiritually form the mass
    + come with a clean heart free of all envy
    + come with love and interest
    + and come with fear and reverance to God

we also need to prepare to make ourselves worthy to recieve the Holy Communion "So if anyone eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord unworthily, that person is guilty of sinning against the body and the blood of the Lord. 28 That is why you should examine yourself before eating the bread and drinking from the cup. 29 For if you eat the bread or drink the cup unworthily, not honoring the body of Christ,* you are eating and drinking God’s judgment upon yourself." (1 corinthians 11:27-29)

How to prepare for the Holy Litrgy
    1. Repent and Confess
    self examination is all about being aware of ones sins and mistakes, and confessing them honestly. the person coming to communion must practise repentance and confession regularly with their FOC. the preist who is the minister of the sacrafice can forbid a person from having communion until such time that they do confess. this is for personal benefit of the person and the priest too, who keeps the commandment of priesthood caarefully, for as st paul says "let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that breaf and drink off that cup" (1 corinthinans 11:24)

2. Attend vespers/Raising of incense
    there r 3 important psamls to read on the way to church on saturday evening (psalms 15, 84 and 122) these psalms focus on the bauty of the house of God and to prepare our hearts and our thoughts to recieve Hos word. these psalms allow you ro collect your thoughts and prevent you from being distracted with worldy concerns.

3. Reconcile with Others
    anyone who approaches the communion must be first reconciled with others, for the Lords advice is clear:
    So if you are standing before the altar in the Temple, offering a sacrifice to God, and you suddenly remember that someone has something against you, 24 leave your sacrifice there beside the altar. Go and be reconciled to that person. Then come and offer your sacrifice to God. 25 Come to terms quickly with your enemy before it is too late and you are dragged into court, handed over to an officer, and thrown in jail. 26 I assure you that you won’t be free again until you have paid the last penny." (matthew 5:23,24)

4. clean the body and wear respectful clothing
    respectful clothes should be worn as u are going to church to meet the KING of kings and LORD of Lords.
    "3 Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty that depends on fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. " (1 peter 3:3)
    "16 Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in* you? 17 God will bring ruin upon anyone who ruins this temple. For God’s temple is holy, and you Christians are that temple." (1 corinthians 3:16,17)

5. fast for 9 hours
    the faithful must be fasting and eat light food on the eve of communion. period of abstaining from food must be 9 hours for adults, which is according to the number of hours of suffering of the Lord Chrsit during Hos crucifixion, form the 3rd hour (9am) until the sentence at the 12th hour (6pm) not only should we fast for 9hrs, but it is important to fast the special feasts like lent and advent in order to receivce the eucharist.

6. control your senses
    control all physical senses so that no obscure sins may enter the heart.

7. guidance women
    + women shoud not partake of the HC when they are menstrating
    +after a women gives birth, she is not to partake of the HC until after 40 dyas for a guy and 80 for gals hence the first time she take the HC is at the baptism of her child and after recieves the absolution from abouna

How to pray to the Holy liturgy and approach the HC
    1. early attendance
    it is important that u attend the mass as early as you can so that u may benefit spiritually. as soon as you enter the church make the sign of the corss and bow 3 times

2. women must wear a scarf
    women must wear a headscarf by wearing a scarf, women show respect not pride.
    "But a woman dishonors her husband* if she prays or prophesies without a covering on her head, for this is the same as shaving her head. 6 Yes, if she refuses to wear a head covering, she should cut off all her hair. And since it is shameful for a woman to have her hair cut or her head shaved, then she should wear a covering." (1 corinthians 11"5)
    "10 So a woman should wear a covering on her head as a sign of authority because the angels are watching." (1 corinthians 11:10)

3. participate
    +do the sign of the cross when "Holy" is said
    +stand up when the deacon says to stand up and particulary during the gospel and listen attentively
    +remain quiet and do not engge in conversation with those around u
    + praise God in unity and in 1 voice
    + we should make an effort to understand and contemplate on the rituals of the mass
    +show utmost respect as we are in the prescence of God

4. attend the gospel becoz if any1 comes after, they have no right in partaking of the HC. the Bible reading and the prayer of the mass are performed before HC in order to sanctify the soul and body, and provide spiritual and mental preparation for partaking of the HC.

5. read the orayer b4 the HC to request from God Hos forgiveness and to make you worthy to recieve His Body and Blood

6. after recieving HC it is important for each person to read the prayer after HC and offer a prayer of thanksgiving to God for the woonderul grace recived.

After the Holy Liturgy.
    1. avoid wounds
    it is not preferable for a person to walk barefoot, or for a man to shave, directly after communion. this is to avoid any wound occuring, which may bleed. if, however, bleeding does occur unintentionally, the blood must be wiped witha pice of cloth or cotton and then burned in fire.

2. rest and fell God
    it is advisable that the remainder of the day be spent relaxing, rather than mingling with others. reading spiritual books and spemding the day in peace os a great way to feel the existance of God inside u after reciveing HC.

3. dont brush your teeth, eat chewing gum, swim, spit ot shower for 9 hours after HC
    pnce you have recieved HC it is important to ensure that nothing is emitted from your mouth

4. Dont bow after HC

lol ok done sorry if it has any spelling errors lol as u c how long it is trying to finish it quikly so sorry if there is hope u benefitted from it in any way and sorry that it was long but it really is worth reading

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!!!!!
  • glad i helped keep.smiling :) lol thnc shnoods hay explain that bubble thing its awesome hehe u explain everything better than me ;)

i might go off the topic a bit but i found a pamphlet bout partaking in the Holy Liturgy and Holy Communion its really cool MAYBE there is something in it bout this i dunno here goes:

The Holy Liturgy
    the holy liturgy essentially institutes the sacrament of the eucharist. the sacrament of Communion is a Holy Sacrament by which the beliver eats the Holy Body and Precious Blood of Jesus Christ, presented by the bread and wine. this sacrament has the greatest importance among the 7 church sacraments. it is sometimes called the 'Mystery of Mysteries' or the 'Crown of sacraments', for all the sacraments are crowned by the Eucharist:
    1. the person baptised must recieve communion directly after baptism
    2. the repentant person must recieve Communion after having confession
    3. the oerson who marries must recieve communion after the wedding (which must take place between the Matina and Holy mass), this is according to the original Rite of matrimony
    4. also, whoever is ordainded with any priestly rank must recieve communion following the Holy mass of is ordination.

the Lord Jesus institusted the Holy Eucherist on covenant thursday in the uppwe eoom of zion, shortly before His arrest and trial. after He celebrated the rite of passover of the jews, He rose and washed the feet of His disciples, as a sign of repentance and preparation, then sat down and instituted the passover of the New Covenant, which is the Sacrament of Holy Communion.

Why we need to prepare for the Liturgy
    its important that we prepare for the holy Liturgy to ensure that we benefit spiritually and physically from the sacrament of eucharist. we need to prepare for the Holy liturgy to:
    +benefit spiritually form the mass
    + come with a clean heart free of all envy
    + come with love and interest
    + and come with fear and reverance to God

we also need to prepare to make ourselves worthy to recieve the Holy Communion "So if anyone eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord unworthily, that person is guilty of sinning against the body and the blood of the Lord. 28 That is why you should examine yourself before eating the bread and drinking from the cup. 29 For if you eat the bread or drink the cup unworthily, not honoring the body of Christ,* you are eating and drinking God’s judgment upon yourself." (1 corinthians 11:27-29)

How to prepare for the Holy Litrgy
    1. Repent and Confess
    self examination is all about being aware of ones sins and mistakes, and confessing them honestly. the person coming to communion must practise repentance and confession regularly with their FOC. the preist who is the minister of the sacrafice can forbid a person from having communion until such time that they do confess. this is for personal benefit of the person and the priest too, who keeps the commandment of priesthood caarefully, for as st paul says "let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that breaf and drink off that cup" (1 corinthinans 11:24)

2. Attend vespers/Raising of incense
    there r 3 important psamls to read on the way to church on saturday evening (psalms 15, 84 and 122) these psalms focus on the bauty of the house of God and to prepare our hearts and our thoughts to recieve Hos word. these psalms allow you ro collect your thoughts and prevent you from being distracted with worldy concerns.

3. Reconcile with Others
    anyone who approaches the communion must be first reconciled with others, for the Lords advice is clear:
    So if you are standing before the altar in the Temple, offering a sacrifice to God, and you suddenly remember that someone has something against you, 24 leave your sacrifice there beside the altar. Go and be reconciled to that person. Then come and offer your sacrifice to God. 25 Come to terms quickly with your enemy before it is too late and you are dragged into court, handed over to an officer, and thrown in jail. 26 I assure you that you won’t be free again until you have paid the last penny." (matthew 5:23,24)

4. clean the body and wear respectful clothing
    respectful clothes should be worn as u are going to church to meet the KING of kings and LORD of Lords.
    "3 Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty that depends on fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. " (1 peter 3:3)
    "16 Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in* you? 17 God will bring ruin upon anyone who ruins this temple. For God’s temple is holy, and you Christians are that temple." (1 corinthians 3:16,17)

5. fast for 9 hours
    the faithful must be fasting and eat light food on the eve of communion. period of abstaining from food must be 9 hours for adults, which is according to the number of hours of suffering of the Lord Chrsit during Hos crucifixion, form the 3rd hour (9am) until the sentence at the 12th hour (6pm) not only should we fast for 9hrs, but it is important to fast the special feasts like lent and advent in order to receivce the eucharist.

6. control your senses
    control all physical senses so that no obscure sins may enter the heart.

7. guidance women
    + women shoud not partake of the HC when they are menstrating
    +after a women gives birth, she is not to partake of the HC until after 40 dyas for a guy and 80 for gals hence the first time she take the HC is at the baptism of her child and after recieves the absolution from abouna

How to pray to the Holy liturgy and approach the HC
    1. early attendance
    it is important that u attend the mass as early as you can so that u may benefit spiritually. as soon as you enter the church make the sign of the corss and bow 3 times

2. women must wear a scarf
    women must wear a headscarf by wearing a scarf, women show respect not pride.
    "But a woman dishonors her husband* if she prays or prophesies without a covering on her head, for this is the same as shaving her head. 6 Yes, if she refuses to wear a head covering, she should cut off all her hair. And since it is shameful for a woman to have her hair cut or her head shaved, then she should wear a covering." (1 corinthians 11"5)
    "10 So a woman should wear a covering on her head as a sign of authority because the angels are watching." (1 corinthians 11:10)

3. participate
    +do the sign of the cross when "Holy" is said
    +stand up when the deacon says to stand up and particulary during the gospel and listen attentively
    +remain quiet and do not engge in conversation with those around u
    + praise God in unity and in 1 voice
    + we should make an effort to understand and contemplate on the rituals of the mass
    +show utmost respect as we are in the prescence of God

4. attend the gospel becoz if any1 comes after, they have no right in partaking of the HC. the Bible reading and the prayer of the mass are performed before HC in order to sanctify the soul and body, and provide spiritual and mental preparation for partaking of the HC.

5. read the orayer b4 the HC to request from God Hos forgiveness and to make you worthy to recieve His Body and Blood

6. after recieving HC it is important for each person to read the prayer after HC and offer a prayer of thanksgiving to God for the woonderul grace recived.

After the Holy Liturgy.
    1. avoid wounds
    it is not preferable for a person to walk barefoot, or for a man to shave, directly after communion. this is to avoid any wound occuring, which may bleed. if, however, bleeding does occur unintentionally, the blood must be wiped witha pice of cloth or cotton and then burned in fire.

2. rest and fell God
    it is advisable that the remainder of the day be spent relaxing, rather than mingling with others. reading spiritual books and spemding the day in peace os a great way to feel the existance of God inside u after reciveing HC.

3. dont brush your teeth, eat chewing gum, swim, spit ot shower for 9 hours after HC
    pnce you have recieved HC it is important to ensure that nothing is emitted from your mouth

4. Dont bow after HC

lol ok done sorry if it has any spelling errors lol as u c how long it is trying to finish it quikly so sorry if there is hope u benefitted from it in any way and sorry that it was long but it really is worth reading

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!!!!!
  • FROG tht was great...it just shows everything tht happenes in the liturgy...thanks
  • FROG asked me to explain ZA BUBBLE!!

When your in the liturgy, and theres 20 thousand things going on around you and you can't concentrate and you find your mind wondering off.

BUBBLE IT!!!!!!!

Imagine there is a bubble around you, that no one else can enter, wich only filters in God and filters out everything else. The only thing you are to concentrate on is GOD! forget your worries (because they will still be there when the mass is over). Forget the anoying kids crying and making a big wracket, Forget the person next to you. ....FOCUS ON HIM and HIM ONLY!

Its a simple concept but seems to work for me...i made a little diagram illistrating this concept ...hope yas like it.

Shenouda.
  • that was brilliant thanks for that shnoods u rok :) :D

np marianne ;)

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!!!
  • [quote author=christ_lover link=board=4;threadid=1595;start=0#msg24948 date=1116208019]
    hi everyone
    i got small problem
    whenever i go to church i don't feel the enjoyment anymore
    if i go to the liturgy from the beginning i get bored very easily and also my thought drift away
    one abouna tells don't hold the book just close ur eyes and just listen but when i close my eyes i feel sleeping
    and if i go late i still feel bored
    i don't know what's wrong with me
    i used love being in the church love to attend the liturgy from the beginning
    but now doesn't matter to me anymore
    but i decide to get some guidness
    i read a lot books about how to spend or benefit from the liturgy it didn't help me at all.
    If Your In My Spot what should you do?

Beloved

We are all the same. We have high times and sometimes low times.

Some times feeling escape us as a test of faith.

Please join the mass and the songs and use the words as your own prayers towards God.

This is only a phase.
  • Ok, I know this is COMPLETELY off topic but FROG said somethings about women covering their heads when they pray. That question came up in Sunday School and tasoni said that since women's hair is a crown, you have to cover it when you pray because you can't stand before God with a crown on your head.

Soooo...
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=4;threadid=1595;start=15#msg30138 date=1120276470]
    Ok, I know this is COMPLETELY off topic but FROG said somethings about women covering their heads when they pray. That question came up in Sunday School and tasoni said that since women's hair is a crown, you have to cover it when you pray because you can't stand before God with a crown on your head.

Soooo...

yup thats absolutely correct Christ4life :)

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!
  • oh thanks for clearing that up and that was shnoods not you that said that, right? sorry :)
  • sorry? who sed a wata wata was goin on? bit lost
  • try learning more bout the liturgy so u can learn to appreciate it more.
    example, the struture, how the liturgy is separated into 2 segments, the liturgy of the word, and the litergy of the faithful. learn about the 2 and wat they consist of.
    find out wat the word liturgy means, it means "people work" literally, liturgy means wen ppl come together to work, it is work, to worship is work, and its not easy.
    find out at wat point of the liturgy the holy spirit descends on the bread and the wine, to make it the body and blood of christ, the meaning of the censor, the meaning of the many things the priest does, which have deep meanings.
    then u will be interested, if not moved by the liturgy.
  • yar thas heeos good GJI good stuff and that actually is very true if u no the purpose for the things it makes it more interesting and since ur a guy b a deacon for a closer look

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!