Guys or Girls

edited April 2004 in Faith Issues
are we really equal??
the bible favours man, all the covanants were between, God and man.
man was made b4 woman
jesus was a man.
then again mary was a women.
all the disciples were men,
all the books in new testement were written by men and the old with a few exceptions??
only men can be deacons,
men have communion first,
male priests, pope!
what does this mean..??
George

Comments

• You raise a very interesting topic. Men do seem to have some superiority in the bible. However, there are several verses in the bible that directly say not to treat women any less than a man would be treated, Ephesians 3:25 and Colossians 3:19 for example. those are the only two I know of, I’m sure there are more.
  • it sound like yes!!!
  • -"For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (Gal 3:26-28).

-"I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God" (1 Cor. 11:3).

-"For man is not from woman, but woman from man. Nor was man created for the woman, but the woman for the man" (1 Cor. 11:8-9).

God loves all of us equally; he does not love His sons more than He loves His daughters!, He loves us all the same. Yes, in the Bible there is some male dominance and superiority, but that doesnt mean that God loves/favors men more than women. For everything under heaven there is a purpose, that God, whose wisdom exceeds all wisdom, has established. In God's eyes, we are all His children, whether or man or woman doesnt really matter, what God really cares about is your heart ;)not whether u r man or woman. But, God, full of knowledge, in His great wisdom, put an order in life, to us, human beings, whom He created. It really doesnt matter if women can not be priests, deaconesses...etc, whether we u r a deaconess or not shouldnt matter, in every condition, u r praising God's name, u r God's child, and your goal is to serve God, who died for you on the cross and shed His precious blood for you. You dont have to serve Him by being a priest or deaconess, u can serve His name in many other ways, praise His name, pray to Him, read His word in the Holy Bible, help the poor, help any1 who u can help, serve in church..etc, serve God till your last breath..and forget about whether men can serve in a different way or not, it doesnt matter which way u serve God, its all for the same person, we all serve the same God.
  • [quote author=PrincessMary link=board=1;threadid=159;start=0#msg669 date=1082137467]
    -"For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (Gal 3:26-28).

-"I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God" (1 Cor. 11:3).

-"For man is not from woman, but woman from man. Nor was man created for the woman, but the woman for the man" (1 Cor. 11:8-9).

God loves all of us equally; he does not love His sons more than He loves His daughters!, He loves us all the same. Yes, in the Bible there is some male dominance and superiority, but that doesnt mean that God loves/favors men more than women. For everything under heaven there is a purpose, that God, whose wisdom exceeds all wisdom, has established. In God's eyes, we are all His children, whether or man or woman doesnt really matter, what God really cares about is your heart ;)not whether u r man or woman. But, God, full of knowledge, in His great wisdom, put an order in life, to us, human beings, whom He created. It really doesnt matter if women can not be priests, deaconesses...etc, whether we u r a deaconess or not shouldnt matter, in every condition, u r praising God's name, u r God's child, and your goal is to serve God, who died for you on the cross and shed His precious blood for you. You dont have to serve Him by being a priest or deaconess, u can serve His name in many other ways, praise His name, pray to Him, read His word in the Holy Bible, help the poor, help any1 who u can help, serve in church..etc, serve God till your last breath..and forget about whether men can serve in a different way or not, it doesnt matter which way u serve God, its all for the same person, we all serve the same God.

high five for you
  • thnkyou so much 4 ur amazing answer,
    but dosent this quote favour men:

another than that, it was golden
    thanks alot, pray 4 me
    George
  • As I was opening my bible my attention was drawn towards this verse for some reason. Gen 3:16. “I will greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception; in pain shall you bring forth children; and your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you. Undoubtedly the bible is in favor of men and this may also be the reason they are given more authority. It is one of the punishments women received from god because of the sin eve caused Adam to commit by tempting him. This does not mean god loves women any less, but I suppose he does give them less authority for some reason.
  • Yes but Mark, it is also written to Adam

"Cursed is the ground for your sake; in toil you shall eat of it, all the days of your life. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you, And you shall eat the herb of the field. In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; For dust you are, and to dust you shall return"

This seems as if it's Adam's half of the punishement for disobeying.
  • Yes Adam did also receive a punishment from god. Eve didn’t commit the sin on her own, she did coax him to eat from the tree, but he is the one who chewed and swallowed. Those actions do deem a punishment, our god is a fair god, and clearly eve wasn’t the only one at fault. I was merely pointing out the portion of that verse that states man will have power over woman to shed some light on MAYBE why men seem to be given some ability over women in various tasks. In the end, god knows no gender. Everyone will be judged based on their actions and on nothing else.
  • Mark423,
    Great response! I totally agree! :)
  • Ok, The bible refers to the word "Man" or "Men" and almost never women. This is because in its original language, Greek and Aramaic, its syntax was identical to Arabic and many other Latin based languages. So, the reason why the words Man and Men are used, is because they represent the whole group. Just as if I walked up to a group of guys and girls, I wouldn't say "Hey guys and girls", just say " Hey guys". :-*
  • Hi: The bible does use the words "Man" and "Men", and almost never women. This is because, in its original text (Greek and Aramaic), the syntax did not refer to groups of men and women, as men and women, but as men. Just as you say "hey guys" even if the group is composed of a majority of girls and only one guy. Its not meant to be sexist or anything like that. Its just a matter of syntax. :)
    [move]Live in and through God!!![/move]
  • ooo html, high five for you
  • just a quick note: don't forget, never take verses from the epistles (or any book of the Bible for that matter) out of context; the epistles themselves were written to certain people to tackle certain situations, therefore some things may seem scandalous when taken out of context. this is why some verses may seem contradictory. They're actually not, it is just that they served a specific purpose at the time they were written; this is not to say that they do not serve a purpose today, they most certainly do! but perhaps not with exactly the same emphasis as before. remember, CONTEXT IS KEY!
    pray for me
  • Helani,
    Good point.

Beetarg,
    Makes sense.

Mark423,
    LOL. High five for you! ;D
  • If anyone is still on this discussion...
    i was once at a convention and this ? was asked to Anba Moussa
    He then said that God did not take the Eve from the head of Adam, that she may be above him... nor did he take Eve from the foot of Adam, that she may be below him... Nor was she taken from his back that she may be behind him, nor from his front, that he may follow her, but from his side, so that she may remain beside him...
    i alwayz thought that was a beautiful way of putting it... but the argument often arises saying that Eve was still taken out of Adam... therefore Adam is preferred over her...
    I dont think God would've created either gender if he intended for one to be better than the ohter.... thats y he created the animals and living creatures that roam the earth
    we say i believe in the agpiya that all living creatures are at our hands.... 'our' meanign man and woman.... meaning that man and woman were given the same gifts and things, etc..
    God gave each gender a certain role to play in society, without one, the other can't survive... as we see displayed in our society today lol :D
  • Good stuff SMS
    thnx 4 ur reply
    George
  • [quote author=SunBabyNJ link=board=1;threadid=159;start=0#msg729 date=1082409551]
    Yes but Mark, it is also written to Adam

"Cursed is the ground for your sake; in toil you shall eat of it, all the days of your life. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you, And you shall eat the herb of the field. In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; For dust you are, and to dust you shall return"

This seems as if it's Adam's half of the punishement for disobeying.

I dont agree really agree on this. Women nowadays work as much as men, plus the punishment that was given to us by God. In my opinion, women still suffer more. could someone clear this up?
  • Child bearing and birth are clearly not a day out in the park. Women indeed do suffer a great deal. With modern medicine there are epidurals to aid in easing the pain; regardless it isn’t a pleasant experience. To play devils advocate, women do share a certain bond with their children that can’t be duplicated between a child and their father. Undeniably there is love between one and their father, but something special takes place between an individual and their mother. Anyway, to put all that aside, women clearly suffer in the events leading to child birth, and during actual labor.

Whether women suffer more than men in every day life; that can be argued forever… What type of suffering are you referring to? As far as I see it, men noticeably suffer more concerning physical labor; and rightly so. God gave men much more physical abilities and strength than he did women. (Gen 3:19) “In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread” meaning men will have to suffer to live and to get their food ect.

Granted we are living in the year 2004 and we no longer have to depend on physical labor to survive. We now live in a world where our intelligence is what determines our level of success; however that is just those living in the United States and other advanced nations. We live in a world of over six billion people. The United States has only about three hundred million people residing. That is barely a dent. Those in the United States may be fortunate to have excelled technologically; however we can’t say the same for our third world counterparts.

So, we have established that men might have more of a physical suffering, yet we’ve also established that that isn’t the only type of suffering. Being a mother is an ongoing job. Just as the general social role of a male is to be the one to handle and guide a family. The social role of women is highly demanding. Being able to care for the children and also be able to juggle everything else that must be taken care of around the house is in the job description. In a modern day scenario a women would be expected to do all this and perhaps even handle a job. These aren’t easy tasks.

Obviously men and women both suffer and acquire this suffering in different ways. To say that women suffer more is illogical. Likewise it would be irrational to say that men suffer more. Undoubtedly, both genders suffer and by nature an individual is likely to show more compassion towards their gender. Until a man can walk in the shoes of a woman, and a woman in the shoes of a man, it will be difficult to come to a consensus.

In the end, it doesn’t matter who suffers more. All that matters, is that we fulfill the will of the one who suffered the most; Jesus Christ. We won’t be judged on our level of suffering, only on our ability to follow God’s Command.

God Bless
    -Mark
  • Yes we are all equal, God chose men to deliever his messages because men were powerful at that time, and their word is more respected then women, God didnt have the intention to do that but human based it like that.
    God didn't take a muscle from adam's head to create woman, because he didnt want her to be on the top of him (i.e. higher in power).
    God didnt take a muscle from adam's leg to creat woman because he didnt want woman to be on a lower level.
    He took the muscle from his stomach to create woman to be equal to him.

god bless. :)
  • Truly outstanding point GodIsInMyHeart!!! ;D
  • wow....thats true godsinmyheart.....good job.
  • i agree, but GoDiSiNmYhEaRt , Mary Magdeline as well as other women went and preached after they recieved the Holy Spirit and there was a prophetess in the Old Testment (forgive me i have forgetten her name) so where does this leave us?
  • Hi
    the prophetess name in the Old Testement was: Daboora.
    Pray 4 me.
  • It leaves us in the modern era. The era of prophets and prophetesses is over, but like everybody else said, you don't need to be a prophet or a deacon to serve the Lord. Just as a deacon sings the hymns, you also can in the congregation. Just as the deacon leads the church in prayer, you also can pray in the congregation.
  • Don't forget St Paul mentioned women in his epistles as well, and the women were the ones to proclaim the resurrection, and even though fall came on the human race (partly) through a woman, a woman brought the Saviour as well.
  • thats beautiful

• It is not matter Guys or Girls, but what one what does for
    his eternal life. For in heaven no one can say im Guy or Girl.
    Jesus sat at HIs feet Mary and Martha looked for other
    things. Also we see many Martyrs and Saints Girls and we
    need their prayers like ST: Dimiana and others.
  • [quote author=markbotros link=board=1;threadid=159;start=15#msg7372 date=1090204338]

It is not matter Guys or Girls, but what one what does for
    his eternal life. For in heaven no one can say im Guy or Girl.
    Jesus sat at HIs feet Mary and Martha looked for other
    things. Also we see many Martyrs and Saints Girls and we
    need their prayers like ST: Dimiana and others.

Good point, we're all the same in God's eyes, why worry about the lil things. arent we all the same on the inside?

ASM
  • That is right. We need to look at all the earlier examples that God has provided for us and base our thoughts on them, and what's even better is that we gurls have a large selection of female saints, not just one or two which is awesome.

sleepy