saints

I have a question-is St. Brigid of Kildare and St. Kassiane recognized as saints by the Coptic Orthodox church?

Comments

• No, not officially. But the Coptic Church (or any Orthodox Church) never claimed a monopoly on saints. We recognize local saints of other Apostolic Churches out of piety. 
  • @Remnkemi

How do you define Apostolic Church?
  • Thanks.  I am actually a member of the Eastern Orthodox Church( for 3 years now) but have recently become aware of the Coptic Orthodox church and the more I read and see (I have attended 2 Coptic Liturgies and have watched several Coptic Orthodox sermons, especially those of Pope Shenouda)  I am realizing that the Coptic Church is actually more in line with my beliefs.  Then I read that they are not in communion with the Eastern Orthodox.  It can get a little confusing!
  • @kassiane

In what way is the Coptic Church more in line with your beliefs?  The Holy Synod of the Coptic Church has stated that we have the same faith as the Eastern Orthodox.
  • I know, but the Eastern Orthodox that I know are all telling me you do NOT!  In my research into this matter-which is really new-I agree with the Copts that you DO have the same beliefs!  I guess I used the wrong terminology when I said the  BELIEFS of the Coptic Church were more in line with me.  What I SHOULD have said is that already I am seeing what I perceive to be more SINCERITY and PRACTICE of processed beliefs in the Coptic church.  (ie  REAL Christians.)
  • @kassiane

Sadly, there are some Eastern Orthodox Pastors, Bishops and laypersons who are ignorant of the Coptic church. Especially here in the west, those who are ignorant and uneducated on the matter turn to old and dated terminology and stereotypes. While, even a good number of Coptic Orthodox clergy and laypersons are not fully aware of the relationship between the two churches.

Although, as our church grows in the west, a great number of Eastern Orthodox have begun to build relationships and see us as equals. About 2 years ago I went through the same thing learning about our separation. Be very cautious to take everything as truth and be open minded to hearing what you may disagree with and always strive to find your own position, not blindly follow those of others.

Thank you for the kind words! I am a convert also, so I completely understand.
  • Thanks.  I have had a life long struggle with religion and a search to "find God."  I have never agreed with  ANY protestant denominations even though  that    is  what I was brought up in.  And for over 2 decades I had NO affliliation with ANY organized religion-I vowed I never would again.  And then I discovered Orthodoxy.   I have a very rare serious health condition and I don't know how much longer I will be around.  The last 3 years-and especially the last few months have been very hard for me emotionally.  I accidentally found sermons of Pope Shenouda  with English translations and was very impressed with him.  And then I heard the song "stranger" which is apparently a poem he wrote that was put to music and I very much related to it.  Also, there is a Coptic hymn called "No don't leave me alone" that I play almost daily-it gives me much comfort.  From day one the monastics drew me and I always read as much as I can about them-particularly the hermit monks.  And most of the ones I read about are Coptic Orthodox.  That's when I started to research a little.  I knew there was different branches of the Orthodox Church and I already knew the Copts were  p art of the Oriental and not the Eastern branch.  But I had not realized there was some kind of a split and that they were not in communion with each other until recently.  I also did not realize we had a Coptic church just 7 miles from me until recently. 
  • edited January 2016
    @kassiane

The song "Don't leave me alone" is not really a Coptic hymn, personally I suspect it might be a little Protestant-influenced.

Also, don't think the grass is always greener with respect to the Eastern Orthodox vs the Copts:
    "What about all the reasons why the EO might not want to Commune with us [the Copts]? The Protestant teaching in many of our parishes. The introduction of heterodox "worship" into our Liturgy, especially in the singing of Evangelical songs during Communion. The large influence of scholasticism and other western schools on the teaching of many of our hierarchs today. That's right, it's easy to sit down and list all of the things we don't like about "them", but if we're equally as critical of "us", we'll see that we need one another. Maybe the Coptic piety could reignite many hearts among the EO, and if we were together and saw their horror when we tried to sing Evangelical songs in the Liturgy, or have every 6 year old male think they're a deacon and dare to approach the altar as a deacon, maybe we could relearn reverence and respect for the Church from them."
  • OK.   Just the very WORD evangelical repels me because I am so very much against most of the prominent evangelicals who are so involved with modern politics,etc.  I find them to be some of those most bigoted people around.  I probably gravitate so much to the monastics because I can really understand why many wanted to go off by themselves and live in a cave!  If I was younger and not in such bad health I'd probably try it myself!   People in general confound me -especially in large groups.  I was probably meant to be a Godless heathen hermit or something!