The Antiochian Orthodox Church

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hello all,
i was wondering if we are in communion with the antiochian orthodox church i thought we were, but i visited one recently and wanted to take communion but the priest told me we were not in communion so i couldnt. Although ive thought all my life we were does neone know if we are?

aghape,
chris

Comments

• I am Antiochian, actually.....

No....the Antiochian Orthodox Church is Eastern Orthodox (EO), so they are not in Communion with the Coptic Church....what you're probably thinking about is the Syrian Orthodox Church, which ALSO has its Patriarch in Antioch (actually, they're both in Damascus now...confusing, i'n't it?)....you CAN take Communion in the Syrian Orthodox Church
  • i'm pretty sure u can take communion in the Syrian church (btw, is there a difference between the SYRIAN orthodox church and the SYRIAC orthodox church? so many people use both terms, and i'm confused...)

Cheers
    Sinful Servant
  • i dont get it- wat do use mean wen u go
    " we were not in communion so i couldnt. Although ive thought all my life we were does neone know if we are?"- chris

thanx guys sorri if im a bit blonde lol

• The Syriac and Syrian Orthodox Church are the same Church. The reason the Syrians are changing the name is to prevent confusion in English, they don't want to be associated with the Muslim country of Syria.

Coptic Orthodox are also in communion with the The Syriac Orthodox, Armenian Apostolic Church, the Malankara (Indian) Orthodox Church, the Eritrean Orthodox Church, and the Ethiopian Orthodox Tawahedo Church.

According to the Catholic Church, any Orthodox may recieve there. But your Orthodox Church may be against it.

The Syriac Catholic and Syriac Orthodox have very good relations and allow its members to receive Communion with each other on most occasions, so do the Malankara Catholics and Malankara Orthodox.