Satan

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
How much authority does satan have over us?
George

Comments

• sorry im not sure but i hope this helps a little:

-“And you were dead in your trespasses and sins, in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.” Ephesians 2:1-2
    -“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.” Ephesians 6:12
    -“And this is the victory that overcomes the world—our faith.” 1 John 5:5
    - “Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.” James 4:7-8.

Just as Satan tried the Lord, he also tries believers. His aim is to get us to commit evil. God may sometimes use Satan in testing us to prove us in resisting his tests. Tests can have three beneficial purposes in the life of the believer: to prove us (1 Peter 1:6-7); to teach us (4:12-13: see also Heb. 5:8); and to increase our love for God (James 1:12). But Satan’s only purpose is to tempt the believer to commit evil.

There are at least three areas in which Satan tempts believers. The first is in the area of conforming to the pressures and structures of society . Second, Satan tempts believers to cover up selfishness. The story of Ananias and Sapphira serves as the classic illustration. This couple wanted to retain some of the money they received from the sale of their property, while at the same time receiving praise for their contribution. Peter discerned that it was Satan who had filled their hearts to lie (Acts 5:1-11). They had the right to own and sell property. They had no necessary obligation to give all the proceeds to the church. But they were obliged not to feign generosity and at the same time cater to their selfishness by keeping part of the money received.Third, Satan tempts believers to immorality (1 Cor. 7:5). God provided marriage for proper expression of physical needs and relationships and He expects husbands and wives to assume their respective and mutual responsibilities. When this is not done, Satan has opportunity to tempt believers to illicit or perverted sexual sins.

However even though satan is the ruler of this world and has some authority over us, yet in reality he is so weak, but deceives us at times, and we don’t even realize it. We are all the children of God, the king of kings and lord of lords, if the king who created heaven and earth and all this universe is with us on our side then who can be against us? If God, the almighty and all powerful is with us, what have we to fear? The Lord is my light and my salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? “I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me” Philippians 4:13"Behold I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you" (Luke 10:19) If God is with us and He strengthens us then ew can defeat satan and all the powers of darkness. We, by ourselves, are nothing but dust, and we cant do anything yet, if we trust and depend on God then He’ll help us overcome satan and His power

God bless u

• thankyou sooooo much for ur reply, ur amazing, im almost in tears...
    you explained alot to me, and enlightened me.
    may God bless u and keep u close to his heart.
    george
  • remember that he had more authority in the old testament and after the Lord died on the cross he tied him, and the period of the "thousand years" (Revelations 20) started.

1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. 2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, 3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

Luke 10:18 - And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

At the end of times he will be released again to deceive, even the chosen ones:

4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years. 7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, 8 And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog, and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. 9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them. 10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. 11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. (Rev 20)

-matt-