abba, father

I was just wondering, is it wrong to call abounas "father"?
for example: father mina, or pope "abba"(father) shenouda etc.
because i was reading in matthew 23:9- Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.
this troubled me greatly :-\
does anyone have an answer to this?
thanks ;D

Comments

• there is no problem in that...
  • I THINK IT IS RIGHT BECUASE OUR FATHERS REPRISENTS GOD ON EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I don't think it's wrong...but an explanation to the verse might be that it was meant as Father meaning God...like don't make them as God...because it would be even wrong to call our biological fathers...fathers...so the only explanation to it is that the word Father meaning God...

God Bless,
    Marianne
  • I think we need to look more carefully at the expression “do not call anyone” to understand in what sense Christ meant it. Since we are dealing with a translation of an expression that was used 2000 years ago, and which was employed in a foreign language, we shouldn’t take it at face value.

I would like you to consider the following two expressions that we have today in our english language which are almost the same, except for a one word difference which makes all the difference in how they are to be interpreted:

Expression (1) “They don’t give High distinctions to anyone”

Expression (2) “They don’t just give High distinctions to anyone”

(Notice that the difference between expression (1) and expression (2) is the word "just")

Can you note the difference in meaning between expression (1) and (2) because of that one word difference? In expression (1), the implication is that no one is getting a High Distinction at all. In expression (2) the implication is that they don’t just throw around High distinctions to anyone, but only particular persons can obtain a high distinction - and so in contrast to expression (1) it allows for the possibility of people actually obtaining high distinctions.

It is in the sense of expression (2) that Christ said in verses 8 and 9 that we should not call anyone teacher or father – i.e. don’t just throw the term around loosely to anyone, especially to people who don’t deserve it. The whole context of the passage (verses 5-12) show that Jesus is speaking about hypocrites specifically. he is therefore essentially comanding us to not just use the term father or teacher so loosely that you would attribute such titles to anyone, such as hypocrites unworthy of such titles.

Further proof that we should not take this verse at face value and literally in the sense of expression (1) above (such that everyone should be excluded from being called father or teacher except for God Himself), is the fact that the Bible itself applies both these titles to mere men and not just God: 1 Cor. 4:15, Col. 3:21, John 3:10, Acts 13:1, 1 Cor. 12:28, Eph 4:11, 2 Tim. 1:11.

Why does it apply to them? Because they deserve such titles - they are not hypocrites. Therefore, there is no fault in applying these titles to our priests, saints, bishops and our Patriarch - since they are representatives of God and holy men who deserve such titles, due to the work they perform in His name.

Peace.
  • wel said iqbal
  • yar very well sed

GB ALL
    +FROG+
  • I think you should not say that because maybe someone is american like ME and all my family and it can
    hurt feelings and what you mean by that is that me and my family are not christians and plus that many people live in america but thay are still proud to be an EGYPTION!!!!! although i am american and i was born here that my whole family are EGYPTION!! and also the church here is all EGYPTION!! and also our fathers(ABOUNA)

i hope you don't say that again?

god bless you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • wow thanks guys that really helped ;D great posts..