21 Coptic Christians Executed by Islamic State

I received a message from Coptic World saying that the men who were beheaded this week were praying before executing and you could hear them saying "My Lord Jesus Christ. Have mercy on me".

Indeed I played back the video and I heard this.

Very sad situation.

As Coptic Christians, Im just curious, where do you think the solution lies to solving the problems in Egypt with Islamic Extremists and around the world, generally?

Comments

• The only solution is to wait for the second coming of Christ. Remember the parable of the women in labor? The joy comes after the suffering. There will always be suffering from Islamic extremists. But when Christ comes with His angels, then will they receive the reward of their wickedness.

Now if you're asking for a worldly solution to the Islamist solution, there is only one solution...that will NEVER happen. War isn't the solution, diplomacy isn't the solution, super secret prisons isn't the solution. Extremists, like any bully, only has power until their fear they impose on the few is gone. A school bully who attacks one or two other students will have no power if no one else is on his side. If the entire school condemns the bully, there will be no point to his bullying. The only solution to stop Islamic extremist for the entire Muslim world to stand up to them. Without large numbers they cannot wage a full blown war against 6+ billion people. Of course, in order for this to happen, the 1.3+ billion Muslims have to renounce Islam and the other large population who are indifferent and turn a blind eye to the sufferings caused by extremists need to grow up. Like I said, it will never happen. So we have to wait for Christ's solution.
  • yes, we must keep shining God's love so that many more will see it and come and join us.
    may God guide us.

i am encouraged to hear that they were praying as they died. i don't know if i would be that brave.
    may God bring comfort to their families and friends.
    may God rest their souls and may we join our prayers with theirs for all the Christians who suffer.
  • Excellent point Remi,

I just had an notification on my iPhone that Al Sisi will build a Church in honour of the 21 martyrs. Has anyone else heard this?? 
  • In Honour of the 21 Coptic New-Martyrs of Libya

Troparion (Tone 1)

Like meek lambs ye cried out with your last breaths,/
    'O Lord Jesus',/
    and like roses blooming in the desert of Libya,/
    ye shed your blood for the Master./
    With godly valour, ye showed your godless persecuters/
    true strength from the true faith,/
    O pride of Minya and boast of the church of St Mark, /
    intercede with Christ that our souls may be saved.

Kontakion (Tone 8, to the special melody 'To thee the Champion Leader')

O ye new-martyrs, faithful sons of the nation of the Cross,/
    Ye denied not Christ to save your mortal lives,/
    with your constancy ye earned the true crowns of life./
    Ye are witnesses to us who venerate your sufferings/
    that the Lord gives courage in the hour of trial,/
    By your example we sing: /
    O Lord Jesus, be our comfort and strength!

By Edward C. Yong
  • Here's a recent message sent out by an Eastern Orthodox priest to the parish he serves:

These are the names of the most recent martyrs.

May we be ready to live and witness the faith to the shedding of our blood.

Holy Martyrs intercede for us sinners.

1. Milad Makeen Zaky
    2. Abanub Ayad Atiya
    3. Maged Solaiman Shehata
    4. Yusuf Shukry Yunan
    5. Kirollos Shokry Fawzy
    6. Bishoy Astafanus Kamel
    7. Somaily Astafanus Kamel
    8. Malak Ibrahim Sinweet
    9. Tawadros Yusuf Tawadros
    10. Girgis Milad Sinweet
    11. Mina Fayez Aziz
    12. Hany Abdelmesih Salib
    13. Bishoy Adel Khalaf
    14. Samuel Alham Wilson
    15. Worker from Awr village
    16. Ezat Bishri Naseef
    17. Loqa Nagaty
    18. Gaber Munir Adly
    19. Esam Badir Samir
    20. Malak Farag Abram
    21. Sameh Salah Faruq
  • Guys,

One of the brothers of TWO of the martyrs just gave this awesome testimony: 

Take a look!

Please, spread this video. It is awesome!!!
  • wow.
    just wow.
    i thank God for this faith.
  • A message to Daesh, from the Nation of the Cross

• St Matthew Ayariga and the 20 Neo-Martyrs of Lybia
    http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2015/02/an-icon-of-coptic-new-martyrs-of-libya.html

http://lacopts.org/story/the-new-martyrs-of-libya-added-to-the-coptic-synaxarium/
    His Holiness Pope Tawadros II announced the inclusion of the 21 Coptic New Martyrs of Libya in the Synaxarium of the Coptic Orthodox Church today. Every year, they will be commemorated on 8 Amshir in the Coptic calendar, which corresponds to 15 February in the Gregorian calendar, the same day as the Feast of the Presentation of our Lord in the Temple.

Names of the Martyrs: http://lacopts.org/story/updated-list-of-the-names-of-the-new-martyrs-of-libya/
    In addition, another Coptic Orthodox family was martyred in Libya just a few weeks before 21 New Martyrs, because of their 15-year-old daughter’s unwillingness to wear the hijab at her school. Extremists stormed their home by night, killed her parents, and kidnapped the girl. When she resisted their advances, she was killed and left by the side of the road.
    Magdy Sobhy Tawfeek
    Sahar Talaat Rezk
    Katherine Magdy Sobhy

http://mirhom.blogspot.com/2015/02/why-martyrs-matter-question-they-force.html
    Why did you not cry, pleading with those who are about to murder you, that they may free you? Why did you not acquiesce to their demands?

Did they not propose that you abandon your Christ? Wouldn’t they have had mercy on you had you accepted their religion?

Do you not fear death?! Whence did you acquire this courage?
    What theological training did you obtain? From what seminary did you graduate? What monastery did you frequent? What clerical rank do you carry?

Tell me, how did you not resist death? I do not know your secret.
    Did you see (Christ) transfigured? Perhaps you heard Him? Truly, I do not know. The only certainty is that when you decided to utter your last words, those sweet words were “Oh my Lord, Jesus Christ.”

I come to you weeping. I do not weep on your account, for men who received crowns do not warrant sorrowful tears. I weep because of you.

For when the light of your faith became manifest, my weakness became apparent before my eyes. And I realized that the veils of darkness do not obscure the vision of God. I realized that He searches the heart and the inner parts. I realized that He knows the faith that resides within each seemingly destitute and abandoned vessel. And I realized that I am not prepared or worthy of this gift which you have attained.

Intercede for us, O righteous men, that He may have mercy on us through your prayers. Ask Him that He may guide us on the way of your faith, so that we may come to know your mystery.

Translation by Mark Moussa
  • I've heard that St Matthew Ayariga was Eastern Orthodox. We might have a modern saint who is venerated by both families.

St Matthew Ayariga and the 20 Neo-Martyrs of Lybia pray for us.