What does confession mean ?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church

Hi guys I havent been here in a LONG time and I apologise for that.

But a new question came to my mind,

what is a confession ? I do know that christians go to their priests and talk to them about their "wrong-doings" but whats the point or nature behind the confession ?

Thank You!

Comments

• Christians used to confess to the whole church but they thought that a problem sometimes so they made a rule just like the church made the rule for fasting. It is a good guide but it is not to be done legalistically in my opinion.

Hebrews 13:17
    New King James Version (NKJV)
    17 Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.

A Confession father is just that a father every father wants to see growth in his children

However Jesus said call noone on earth your father or teacher (because noone should be idolised because God knows only He can fulfill that role) but is that verse alone proof and to be taken narrowly or clear? St Paul said you are my children who I have begotten through the Gospel

The Father of Confession is also a Shepherd. He sees danger and he warns

St Paul said he is confident that we are all able to teach. Yet saying let not many become teachers.

I do not know if a FOC (Father of Confession) is more annointed then others to be a FOC just because he got prayed upon. But he would be more annointed if he is praying more and seeking God more which he is in a better position than others it seems. One person was Zealous for Moses but Moses said I wish that God's Spirit would rest on all

Numbers 11:29
    29 Then Moses said to him, “Are you zealous for my sake? Oh, that all the Lord’s people were prophets and that the Lord would put His Spirit upon them!”

Moses was overburdened but his father in law gave him a wise advice which is to split his responsibility

Without Confession people will be lukewarm in love and not desire to pray for the people. But also a Confession with no repentance is harmful

My FOC when I used to go to church more often used to pray alot I don't know if he still does. However he did not like my long confessions. He knows only God can deal with some things. His advice though correct was sometimes foreign to me at the time. I could not comprehend it

As for a FOC having to give account for peoples lives - A FOC has a duty to love others with the wisdom which God supplies. If he knows to do good and does not do it like the Levite neglecting his fellow Jew on the road he will be judged. If he is good he may still desire to help but it is more advantageous that he does with joy rather than grief because even St Paul was encouraged by the mutual faith of other believers and less afraid of speaking unwisely among them. Because those who are honest God will perhaps help the Priest speak words of benefit if they ask.

Also not all priests are as effective as others. Some might even have abandoned their faith not intellectually but somewhere

Colossians 4:12
    12 Epaphras, who is one of you, a bondservant of Christ, greets you, always laboring fervently for you in prayers, that you may stand perfect and complete[a] in all the will of God.

Perhaps the Church chose priests for the good of the church and not for a reason of authority. Also the Lips of a Priest should keep knowledge and the bible instructs us to seek them
  • yes, a priest has a special anointing from God, which is given in the ceremony of ordination.
    when we repent to God (we can talk to Him directly) and then go to the priest, it means we can't hide any sins.
    and being embarassed about it means we are less likely to do it again.
    also the priest gives us really good advice about how to get closer to God.

during confession, God gives us special peace through the prayers of the priest, that makes us feel relieved and lighter.
    also it gives us more strength to not sin so much.

good to 'see' you again, have a lovely weekend.
    :)
  • I guess I can go back to confession. But I will just say Abouna I have sinned please give me absolution. My FOC does not want details anyway or want 10 pages of my scruples or sins and does not claim to be a psychologist but himself suggests one for me.