Tips For Getting a 2000+ on the SAT?

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
So, I took two practice tests and I got around an 1800 (with no studying at all), so I was hoping to raise it to a 2000 or at least a 1900 before I take the real thing in June. My reading/writing scores are around 610-630. My math scores are the real problem, as they are typically in the mid to high 500 range. I bought the CollegeBoard official SAT study guide (I.e. "the blue book") and the Princeton Review book and I have been going through them. I was wondering if anyone here could give me any additional advice, thanks!

Pray for me

Comments

• I'm actually the opposite! I got perfect scores on Math and Writing but the reading I got like a 590 or something.

My advice to you: Do a bunch of math problems from that book. If you find one you can't do, or if you find one that takes you a long time, go to khanacademy.org and watch videos about that specific type of problem.

Alternatively, Khan has videos just for SAT Math Prep:
    https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/sat-math

Also, as long as you do your part studying, have faith that God will do the rest :)
  • ^You got a perfect 800 on the math and writing sections?! :o Did you study like crazy or are you just a genius? Anyway, thanks for the advice. :)
  • [quote author=morcousw link=topic=14346.msg163934#msg163934 date=1364051402]
    I'm actually the opposite! I got perfect scores on Math and Writing but the reading I got like a 590 or something.

My advice to you: Do a bunch of math problems from that book. If you find one you can't do, or if you find one that takes you a long time, go to khanacademy.org and watch videos about that specific type of problem.

Alternatively, Khan has videos just for SAT Math Prep:
    https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/sat-math

Also, as long as you do your part studying, have faith that God will do the rest :)

My scores looked a lot like this. .. I think it's an Egyptian thing lol

Did you try taking the act?

I have always thought that taking full practice timed tests and going over the answers is the best thing a person can do to prepare for  standarlized tests.

Oh also make sure you mark the ones that you guessed on or had doubts with so you can go over it and do it faster with no doubts next time around.

God be with you :))
  • Lol Math is my thing, and I'm also a grammar Nazi

Just wish my reading comprehension was up to that level. This was like 5 years ago though lol I'm sure the SAT has changed
  • I received my scores back. I got a 1930 (around 90th percentile, I believe). Not bad considering it was my first try and I barely studied (though I would like to triumph over this laziness over the summer). I have yet to receive my ACT scores back.

Specifically, my scores were:
    Critical Reading: 590/800, 78th percentile (honestly, this is a bit disappointing as I consider English, both reading and writing, to be my strong point)

Math: 610/800, 78th percentile (satisfying, considering math is my weakest subject)

Writing: 730/800, 98th percentile (this made me ecstatic)
      Multiple Choice: 73/80
      Essay: 9/12

Thank you Lord, glory be to you!