Advice: AP Language and Composition or Research Honors?

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
I am at a loss whether I should take the AP Language and Comp. course or the Honors Research course to fulfill my English requirement for next year. I'd appreciate it if any of you guys gave me some advice regarding which choice I should make.

Some factors to consider:

1. I got a 94% (A-) average in English I Honors with almost no effort (not bragging or anything, but the class was a joke, pretty much everyone got an A).

2. I got an 84% (B) average in English II Honors: I was having a rough time that semester and the teacher hated me (not that I'm blaming her for the grade I got in that class, the fault is all on me).

3. I got a 96% (A) average -the highest grade in my class- this year in my Advanced and World Literature class (English III Honors) with relative ease.

4. I will be taking other rigorous courses next year like Honors Physics, AP Physics, AP Economics, and Calculus (regular, not AP), so Research Honors might be a little easier to handle.

5. A friend of mine, who I consider to be a better student than I am, is struggling to maintain a B in AP Lang. Nevertheless, he says the class is rewarding and educational.

6. I have a bit a bit of a procrastination problem (which I am trying to tackle), but I also really like English.

7. I think AP Language will better prepare me for college level courses, and if I get a 4 or 5 on the AP exam I can get AP credit.

8. Should I choose to take it, I will have AP Lang every other day (A/B scheduling).

Thanks for the advice and please pray for me,
Severian

Comments

• Take the AP class - college credit is too valuable to pass up. The hours you spend on this class now will save you a lot more time in the future, since you can skip an English class (at least that's how it was for me).

As far as educational benefit, I can't speak as to which is greater. What does the honors research course curriculum look like?

• I do not know what Research Honors is, but why not drop honors Physics since you are taking both honors and AP physics and take both AP Lang Comp and Research?

Do not worry about the procrastination problem. It is because you are not challenged enough. I took AP European History last year and I had an amazing teacher that gave us A LOT, and I mean A LOT, of work. I did not procrastinate then. Now that I don't have that teacher who challenges me and give me a lot of work, I always procrastinate knowing that I can finish my work in no time.
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=14259.msg163218#msg163218 date=1360443929]
    I do not know what Research Honors is, but why not drop honors Physics since you are taking both honors and AP physics and take both AP Lang Comp and Research?

Do not worry about the procrastination problem. It is because you are not challenged enough. I took AP European History last year and I had an amazing teacher that gave us A LOT, and I mean A LOT, of work. I did not procrastinate then. Now that I don't have that teacher who challenges me and give me a lot of work, I always procrastinate knowing that I can finish my work in no time.
    My school is on something called block scheduling, meaning you have four courses one semester, and four different courses in the next semester. You have to pass Honors Physics with a 'B' or better to go onto the AP course. I am taking Honors Physics the first semester and AP Physics the second semester. Here's what my schedule would look like:

Semester 1:
    AP Language (every other day)
    Gym (every other day)
    Physics Honors
    Pre-calculus
    Random elective (probably Psychology)

Semester 2:
    Gym (every other day)
    AP Physics
    AP Economics
    Calculus
  • [quote author=Andrew link=topic=14259.msg163217#msg163217 date=1360443168]
    Take the AP class - college credit is too valuable to pass up. The hours you spend on this class now will save you a lot more time in the future, since you can skip an English class (at least that's how it was for me).

As far as educational benefit, I can't speak as to which is greater. What does the honors research course curriculum look like?
    Yeah, I am still leaning towards the AP class even though I am less likely to get an 'A' in it.

Honors Research is basically a class where you research and write research papers on the topics you discuss in class. Whereas AP Language focuses more on the composition and structure of writing and how to write good essays.
  • [quote author=Severian link=topic=14259.msg163219#msg163219 date=1360446156]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=14259.msg163218#msg163218 date=1360443929]
    I do not know what Research Honors is, but why not drop honors Physics since you are taking both honors and AP physics and take both AP Lang Comp and Research?

My school is on something called block scheduling, meaning you have four courses one semester, and four different courses in the next semester. You have to pass Honors Physics with a 'B' or better to go onto the AP course. I am taking Honors Physics the first semester and AP Physics the second semester. Here's what my schedule would look like:

Semester 1:
    Gym (every other day)
    Physics Honors
    Pre-calculus

Semester 2:
    Gym (every other day)
    AP Physics
    AP Economics
    Calculus

This is your senior year, right? I think this is great.

Do you have to take AP Econ in the second semester? It would be better, if you can change psychology with AP Econ so you would not have to worry about the workload of 3 AP classes at one time.
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=14259.msg163221#msg163221 date=1360447255]
    [quote author=Severian link=topic=14259.msg163219#msg163219 date=1360446156]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=14259.msg163218#msg163218 date=1360443929]

Semester 1:
    Gym (every other day)
    Physics Honors
    Pre-calculus

Semester 2:
    Gym (every other day)
    AP Physics
    AP Economics
    Calculus

This is your senior year, right? I think this is great.

Do you have to take AP Econ in the second semester? It would be better, if you can change psychology with AP Econ so you would not have to worry about the workload of 3 AP classes at one time.
    Unfortunately, this is not an option. Otherwise, I would heed your advice.

And yes, this is for my senior year (time has gone by so fast, I still feel like I'm a Freshman!)
  • For the record: Pray
  • ^Of course. :)
  • I vote for the AP class as well. At this stage in the game (assuming you have already applied to college, sent your midyear report, etc), second semester grades A or B won't make much of a difference. However, if you get the AP credit is may save you a course in college which would be much more valuable.
  • [quote author=servant33 link=topic=14259.msg163239#msg163239 date=1360553617]
    I vote for the AP class as well. At this stage in the game (assuming you have already applied to college, sent your midyear report, etc), second semester grades A or B won't make much of a difference. However, if you get the AP credit is may save you a course in college which would be much more valuable.

Ditto.

Second semester grades definitely don't factor in, unless there is a serious drop in grades.
  • Well, my guidance counselor and I finalized my schedule today, and I went with AP Language. I had Research Honors as a back-up course for AP Lang and I had AP Psychology as a back-up course for AP Physics. He also gave me tons of tips on SAT prep and potential colleges.

Through the will and grace of God, I hope to make my last year of High School count.

Thank you all for your advice,
    Severian
  • wow, didn't realise u were in high school, thought u were older!
    :)