You only get one chance at a dream

edited January 2013 in Faith Issues
If I had been a distinction student and all I ever wanted to be was a game programmer I would have got a chance to be one but I was too negative and distracted
obviously I thought other things were important

in the words of one notable person "you become what you think about most of the time"

Comments

• whether true or not one temptation is to think the dream is rubbish and will not really make you happy

I also thought engineering would be just as wonderful or appreciated or satisfying as game programming but I don't get the pleasure to create something that makes people happy at the level of making a video game. I can see now how foolish I am I should be happy to create anything. But software is more easier to distribute than hardware and you can stretch an idea very far to create what others do not bother to create. You can create something all on your own with software you do not need any money for manufacturing. You can create things for yourself you can't do that with hardware
    I also thought I could make a life out of engineering but I don't know now I think I have to have atleast one business

Perhaps parents are dream killers they either support it by cheerfully giving money or  call it unrealistic or childish

• Parents have the best intentions for their children. Their wishes sometimes don't concur with their children's. Parents may see video games a waste of time (it can be if it takes most of your time from God and your duties) and this is why they may disagree. Engineer may sound more prestigious to them than video game programmer. They see video games as play, as a childish past time.
    Educate yourself and them with information about the video game engineering industry. Show them the educational and technical requirements needed for such a career. Show them the possible salaries that can be earned. Make sure whatever decision you make is God's will and for His glory!