Death Penalty

124»

Comments

• i am sorry i had a tough time understanding your post , but thats cause i lack understanding, but what i am trying to say, is even if this person gets her law degree, what is she to do with it while she is in prison...sure if she repents and truly goes back to God, God will work through her...but without God in her life, that person is DEAD!...i hope that gave u an idea on what i think ...

Maria
  • Hello-
    This issue was recently addressed by H.G. Bishop David. He said that the death penalty is ok in our church because it was written, "Put up again thy sword into his place, for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword." (Matt. 26:52)

The death penalty is considered to be a punishment, not a killing, and therefore it is condoned by the church.

Also, he spoke on the issue of the interpretation of the verse concerning judging one another and said that it is important to distinguish between those who are in the proper position to judge. For example, a court appointed judge, police officer, or members of a jury are all in the position to judge.

We abide by and follow the rules set forth by the system that governs us as long as they do not conflict with our religious beliefs.

This issue was also addressed by H.H Pope Shenouda in one of his books if anyone is interested in reading it...
  • yes i am can you tell me the name of the book...i had no idea the church condoned it! tanks for that little pice of info! appreciated...and the name of the book would be great thanks!

Maria
  • The book is called Contemplations on the 10 Commandments Vol 3.. pg 14 for the answer to this topic...

it can be found online at http://www.archangelmichaelchurch.net/Home/PopeShenouda/Tencommandments3.pdf

• maria... :)
    what i was stating about homolka (sp?) getting her law degree in prison was jus an example. the thing is, she's charged for manslaughter, so she's getting out of prision (i think she'll be out late 2005-not sure tho)- thus she can use her law degree that she got for FREE!... my point simply was, prisions arent very 'prisiony' lately......

our God is a just God. we're told to forgive, but not be foolish about it and not punish. as unconditional_love mentioned... it's a punishment, its not murder. they recieve it as a concequence to their action... it's not going to be a surprise for them, because they would know about it. the bible also tells us (i cant remember the reference or the exact verse, so if someone would like to post it, feel free to) that, as a church, we should follow the rules and laws of the country we're living in [when it comes to the safety of people i guess].... so we'd technically agree with the law of capital punishment if we're living in that area....

just my insight on this...

take care and God bless
  • If someone truly wants to reoent then they will confess what they did. Confessing it will get them the consequences. When you admit to doing something wrong, you repented, but don't you still get punished for what you did? Maybe not at the moment, but everything has a consequence whether it be positive or negative.

My priest once told us a story that there was a priest who had someone confess to him about doing many crimes, and that priest told him that he had to go confess it, and that got him the death penalty I believe, but he still repented and confessed. Right before he was injected he made a last prayer. You don't have to be alive to do that. God will give you the chance if you truly want it.

sleepy
  • thanks for clearing it up guys i really had no idea the church alowed it ! i really have no stance on this i just thought it was wrong! but thanks for clearing it up

maria
  • Anytime.

sleepy
  • hey, they were disscusing this topic on coptichymns.net, i am sure u know the site, and they had some great things to say about it so i am posting the link go check it out!

http://www.coptichymns.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=37304#37304

Maria