Tarteeb el Baya

What is the Tarteeb el Baya?

Comments

• It is a book (more accurately a lectionary) of responses (Gospel responses, aspasmoses and conclusion canons). It is quite large. Most of the responses are not translated into Arabic at all. Most of the Coptic does not conform to current standards. It seems to have been the common practice of liturgical responses in the 16-18th centuries and was abandoned in the current practice (although many responses - especially in Kiahk - are founding its way back into common practice in a non-methological or systematic manner).

I hope this helps.
  • There are at least different version of Tarteeb Albayaa with each version containing slightly different responses. It was in use till early 20th century and was replaced by Khedmat Alshammas. The late Bishop Samuel of Al Kanater has collected all the versions in 4 parts and 90% of all the responses are translated in Arabic.

The Coptic does have some errors what I believe is due to the different manuscripts from which the text has been collected. Yet, with enough Coptic knowledge, the Coptic text can be restored.
  • So the responses are not used any more and the book is no longer part of the church? It sounds very interesting though. Is there a way I can get the four volumes made by Bishop Samuel?

God Bless