Converting to Coptic Orthodox

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I have a stupid question.. I recently have been attending a Coptic Orthodox church near my house. My friend introduced me to this church and I love it. I have been researching about the religion. I love the values and the spirtuality of the church. I have been reading everything I can find online, I even met with the father on attending the church and being baptized. He told me he would have someone guide me and help me. So I took the lady's number who was going to help me I have called her several times but she hasn't called me back. I do not want to go to the father and complain.. So could anyone tell me what I have to study or read or do before I can be baptized????

Comments

• First, welcome to the forums. I pray God will give you everything you are looking for.

Secondly, there is no recipe for Orthodoxy. What you need may not be what another potential convert needs. It is the priest's job to work with you to give you a proper catechesis into Orthodoxy.

Finally, Orthodoxy is about openness and truth. Do not feel that the priest will be offended if you complain. Your eternal salvation is more valuable the inconvenience of the guide or the hurting the priest's feeling. Rest assured. No priest will be offended if you feel you need more spiritual help.
  • Mashalan, as a convert to the faith I would love to help you out. Unfortunately Copts are generally clueless when it comes to conversion. It is a lovely church with lovely tradition and history, if you have any questions please PM me.
  • welcome to the forums!
    i don't think most people are clueless about conversion; but i know that in some churches people don't have the best attitude to newcomers.
    be very patient (itself a valuable spiritual discipline) and read a lot about the church.
    also read the Bible, especially psalms and new testament.
    pray from the agpeya every day (one or two prayers is enough to start with) and ask God to guide you.

next time you see the priest, ask him if he thinks it's ok for you to start fasting.
    you don't need to mention that the lady didn't call; if he asks you, just say 'oh, i didn't hear from her yet' and don't sound too worried.
    remember egyptian timing is not the same as american timing, scottish timing, chinese timing etc.
    ;)
    it resembles african / south asian timing, and if someone doesn't call for a couple of weeks, this is not a big deal.
    hang out in church, and eventually u will talk to people. if they (or you) are shy, maybe they won't say hello the first time u see each other.
    so, take it easy and meditate on all you learn. it's a marathon more than a sprint!
    :)
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=13623.msg158861#msg158861 date=1344914079]
    First, welcome to the forums. I pray God will give you everything you are looking for.

Secondly, there is no recipe for Orthodoxy. What you need may not be what another potential convert needs. It is the priest's job to work with you to give you a proper catechesis into Orthodoxy.

Finally, Orthodoxy is about openness and truth. Do not feel that the priest will be offended if you complain. Your eternal salvation is more valuable the inconvenience of the guide or the hurting the priest's feeling. Rest assured. No priest will be offended if you feel you need more spiritual help.

Thank you so much for your advice..
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=13623.msg158874#msg158874 date=1344959903]
    Mashalan, as a convert to the faith I would love to help you out. Unfortunately Copts are generally clueless when it comes to conversion. It is a lovely church with lovely tradition and history, if you have any questions please PM me.

Thank you!! I will most Likley take you up on your offer of advice
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=13623.msg158884#msg158884 date=1344970487]
    welcome to the forums!
    i don't think most people are clueless about conversion; but i know that in some churches people don't have the best attitude to newcomers.
    be very patient (itself a valuable spiritual discipline) and read a lot about the church.
    also read the Bible, especially psalms and new testament.
    pray from the agpeya every day (one or two prayers is enough to start with) and ask God to guide you.

next time you see the priest, ask him if he thinks it's ok for you to start fasting.
    you don't need to mention that the lady didn't call; if he asks you, just say 'oh, i didn't hear from her yet' and don't sound too worried.
    remember egyptian timing is not the same as american timing, scottish timing, chinese timing etc.
    ;)
    it resembles african / south asian timing, and if someone doesn't call for a couple of weeks, this is not a big deal.
    hang out in church, and eventually u will talk to people. if they (or you) are shy, maybe they won't say hello the first time u see each other.
    so, take it easy and meditate on all you learn. it's a marathon more than a sprint!
    :)

I agree with most people are not clueless..and yes most of them do ignore me.. I did buy a book of psalms from the church.. But I have my own bible so I read it to refresh my memory.. I am really shy around people.. But I try to say hi to everyone..Thank you so much for your advice..
  • May the Lord bless your journey and give you strength in the hurdles ahead! (one of my biggest pet peeves is Egyptian timing and i am an Egyptian :P)

Pray for me
  • I do not have anything to add to what the others said, but I will pray for you :D
  • Welcome mashalan,
                                  They joked about Eygptian time when I became a part of the faith, but it is all true. Oh well forgive them.

May the Lord grant you security, strength, peace of mind, and all things pertaining to his love.
        God bless you.
  • Hi mashalan,
    My first suggestion to anyone interested in the Coptic Church is what worked for me. Attend Vespers, evening incense and midnight (usually before midnight) praises every Saturday evening that you can. Your shyness will be rewarded. This is a very peaceful, unintrusive atmosphere. Gradually, as is comfortable, work into participation in the English portions. Eventually (but not absolutely necessary) you'll learn some simple Coptic responses. God will provide someone to answer your questions. Abuna (priest) may have some spare time, or see your zeal, and be able to spend some time with you. We newcomers often have lots of questions that native Copts have never thought about, so don't give up at the puzzled reaction. Keep reading and praying. Does your Coptic Church have Bible studies? I attended the youth meetings and Sunday school to help my beginning Coptic education. Systemic humility prevents much current spiritually deep Coptic literature. Eventually read some teaching of the desert fathers and mothers (watch the current mother's literature because we also have a few ambitious, aggressive feminist rebels plying their propaganda). You'll soon have more reading recommendations than you can handle. My experience was about twenty years ago. I had a very close and helpful FOC (father of confession) but I eventually had to meet personally with my bishop to be cleared to step into the font. Your priest can arrange for you to meet your bishop when he visits the parish. Unless you have a special need, don't rush. It took me seven years from first introduction to Baptism. But, I am still "thick" Irish, and a slow learner. God bless you. Please pray for me.