How has our Lord Christ granted life to those in the tomb?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
How has our Lord Christ bestowed Life on those in the tombs?

Clicking these ads earns revenue for Monachos.net.
Become a Community Supporter and make them disappear forever...In the Paschal Hymn, 'XRICTOC ANESTH' "Christ is Risen" we say that

1) "He bestowed life upon those in the tombs." We also say elsewhere that
2) "He rose from the dead raising us up with Him."

In the Divine Liturgies we also pray concerning the departed,

3) "repose them in the Paradise of Joy, in the Region of the Living where sorrow ... has passed away... in that place... in the heavenly Jerusalem"

What exactly do these terms mean since most of the dead bodies of Christians are

1) Still in the Tombs and
2) We have not yet physically risen to heaven
3) The New Jerusalem is to be inherited by us, God willing, after the general, bodily, resurrection

Do we, and do the Fathers, interpret these sayings to apply to the human consciousness, the spirit/soul when transferred from Hades to Paradise upon Christ descent thereto?

Do human spirits live in the heavenly Jerusalem before the bodily resurrection and enjoy it?

Some would argued, I hope quite erroneously, that these are hymns expressing hope for the resurrection a the end of time, and that they are prayers to be answered thousands of years from now after the Resurrection of the body in accordance with Christ's words, "... and I will raise him up at the LAST DAY".

But if this were so, would the hymns not better state that "by His Resurrection He will be bestowing life upon those in the tombs" and "He rose from the dead and will raise us up with Him"

Would it not be better also to be clear and say, "The souls thou hast taken, repose them.... in the heavenly Jerusalem on the last day...."?

But I don't think any of the Fathers nor the Church in general, nor do I, interpret these sayings in a future tense. I believe and live by them having a present, immediate tense, but I am not exactly sure how.

Keeping in mind His Reverence Father Peter Farrington's Podcasts on the soul after death, can anyone clarify the exact meaning of these sayings?

God bless you.

Comments

• "Christ is risen from the dead, by death He trampled death, and granted life to those in the tombs."

What does  "granted life to those in the tombs" mean?  Did He do this immediately or does the statement refer to the future bodily resurrection?
  • [quote author=metouro link=topic=13388.msg156753#msg156753 date=1339777689]
    "Christ is risen from the dead, by death He trampled death, and granted life to those in the tombs."

What does  "granted life to those in the tombs" mean?  Did He do this immediately or does the statement refer to the future bodily resurrection?

I thought it meant that His gift transcended time therefore saving those who were already in the tombs or dead.
  • Simply put, before Christs ressurection, all the people who deserved to go to Paradise were still in Hades. Then, once He resseructed, he granted the true and heavenly eternal life to those in the tomb (hades), who deserved to go to Paradise.

Forgive me if I misunderstood your question.
  • We say He rose from the dead, raising us up with Him.

He rose from the dead BODILY.

Yet most Christians have not yet been raised bodily.

Does, therefore, the phrase, "raised us up with Him" refer to the future?

• [quote author=metouro link=topic=13388.msg156761#msg156761 date=1339784334]
    We say He rose from the dead, raising us up with Him.

He rose from the dead BODILY.

Yet most Christians have not yet been raised bodily.

Does, therefore, the phrase, "raised us up with Him" refer to the future?

It's as simple as Monasticsx put it. Christ rose from the dead. We also rose from the dead, from the death of the soul, from the death of sin, from hades, and we rose to eternal life and to paradise. As Christ resurrected, so our poor souls were also resurrected with Him.