Where to begin

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Since I'm new to the Orthodox Church, I've been wondering where to begin my Bible studies in my new faith.  What would some of you recommend?  Also, when you guys do in depth Bible studies, what is your best resource for learning about the culture of the times in the scripture that you're reading?

Comments

• The Orthodox Study Bible provides some (relatively) brief contemplations
    If you want very in-depth stuff, Fr Tadros Yacoub Malaty has produced books on many books of the Bible (they are very, very long; but definitely suitable for reference for individual verses)
    tbh the culture at the time doesn't really take centre-stage, it's more important to apply it to us now, or at least after Christ in general for the OT.  anyway, it's not like there are many cultures to choose from, all the books of the Bible were written with the Hebrew culture (except St Paul's epistles, somewhat).  if there is an important cultural element I'm sure it would be expounded on in any commentary you read.

That's my 2c, I'm sure many others would have much better ideas
  • Can you recommend a book that's easy to read.  I've read a lot of Orthodox literature which are written in terms that seems you need to be a theologian to understand much of it.  I need something in depth but easy to read that focuses on Bible study.
  • try here:
    http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/pope/#books

and scroll down to 'comparative theology' for a start.
    i have not read all of our dear departed pope's books (  :o )
    but have read several of them and found them easy to understand and giving clear explanations of orthodox theology.
    once u have read this one, u will want to read the others.

let us know here when u have finished and we can recommend u some more!
    ;)
  • Thank you mabsoota.  I've almost finished "Comparatice Theology".  A priest sent me a link to that already and you're right because now that I'm almost finished with that I want more to read.  I also read the book "Becoming Orthodox".  any other suggestions would be wonderful.
  • Journey Back to Eden by Father Mark Gruber is a great book because it is the account of a Roman Catholic priest spending a year in Egypt with the monks and is both sympathetic but also has the view of a Westerner. I've given more copies away to enquirers than any other book.
  • Journey Back to Eden by Father Mark Gruber is a great book because it is the account of a Roman Catholic priest spending a year in Egypt with the monks and is both sympathetic but also has the view of a Westerner. I've given more copies away to enquirers than any other book.

Thank you Father Peter, I'll look into this.