Goodbye Baba Shenouda

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
This is a day that we will never forget. The day our holy father, Pope Abba Shenouda III, has passed on to eternity. We knew this day would come soon, our father was very ill and suffered greatly for a number of years. Let us remember that. That while he suffered through many physical ailments, he still led his flock faithfully. He remained obedient to Christ and never seemed to be troubled, but carried this child like simplicity to the end. Through his sufferings he also dealt with one of the most tense times in the Churches history, and yet remained peaceful, smiling again with that child like simplicity.

I often forget what it means to suffer, our holy father embodied this. Despite everything he was faced with he remained steadfast and endured to the end. I will remember this. As I close my discussions with my close brothers and sisters I end by saying "endure" which they respond "to the end". This truly has taken on a new meaning for me, it is no longer just a word defined by a dictionary, but defined by our holy father, not by words but in his life. He endured to the end. While I weep, I weep because I am selfish. His words were so instrumental in my conversion and so it is difficult for me to think that this man, who has become like my father, is now gone.

Fear not my brothers and sisters, God provided us with a great man, an angel, for a very long time. He has not forgotten us. May the Lord have mercy on all our souls and keep us at peace in this time of mourning. Goodbye Baba, thank you for all you have done for me and for the Church of God. I will miss you.

Comments

• Life will not be the same with pope shenouda gone but I know he would want us to remember our own mortality so I am going to do that so I may see him again

"Every day that you do not do good do not count that as a day of your life"
    Pope Shenouda III

I never got the chance to talk to you when you were on earth. I wanted your guidance which I trust will not fail because you are a father of many people

• user157, that is a fantastic point. I likewise will remember thy death and work out my salvation in fear and trembling.
  • Amen, Ioannes.

Here's one of his most powerful sermons (with English subtitles)
  • yes, i have heard that sermon before, it was great.
    :)
  • I listened to his last sermon last night. What is amazing is that he exemplified enduring to the end. He could have just laid down and rested until his death and nobody would have faulted him for that. But he continued, and you could see how difficult it was for him just to speak, yet he did. And he spoke a wonderful message, one that hit home for me.

This is why I remind others to endure, but now that takes on a whole new meaning for me. I do not generally get sad when Orthodox people die, but this is really difficult for me.

May all of you endure...
  • ioannes, yr post brings tears to my eyes, it's so true.

is there any way to comment on the memorial if u don't have an account with yahoo, hotmail, aol and facebook? it has been lovely to read all the posts there and i would like to write something.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=13043.msg153264#msg153264 date=1332105244]
    I listened to his last sermon last night. What is amazing is that he exemplified enduring to the end. He could have just laid down and rested until his death and nobody would have faulted him for that. But he continued, and you could see how difficult it was for him just to speak, yet he did. And he spoke a wonderful message, one that hit home for me.

This is why I remind others to endure, but now that takes on a whole new meaning for me. I do not generally get sad when Orthodox people die, but this is really difficult for me.

May all of you endure...

You too, to the end!
  • The loss of a wonderful man who gave so much to his people.  His courage and wisdom among so many other virtues are unattainable examples for us. 

I have encountered so many people from Eastern Orthodox backgrounds, unrelated to our own. Who believed he was a living saint, while he was alive.

May the Lord provide for us another shepherd to steer us through these turbulent times.
  • I heard this from someone so I don't know if it is true but I believe it is...

For those that don't know, Pope Shenouda use to give sermons every Wednesday and at the end their would be like a Q&A type thing where people would write down their questions.  I'm not sure if this was televised but it sort of goes like this.  One guy wrote down in arabic "Sayidna, Why don't you perform any miracles?"  After he said that he told him where he was sitting.  For example,  will the 5th guy in the third row please stand up.