Tolerance

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I don't really have tolerance for sin when I see it but I run away sometimes
When I see someone so rude and immoral I feel really angry inside that they have so little love

Comments

• [quote author=user157 link=topic=12985.msg152697#msg152697 date=1330673980]
    I don't really have tolerance for sin when I see it but I run away sometimes
    When I see someone so rude and immoral I feel really angry inside that they have so little love

Just worry about yourself for now.  You seem to have many issues bothering you - so just look after yourself.
    Please follow this advice.
    May God bless you and comfort you.
  • Ok thankyou for replying
  • Since you started this topic, as Orthodox to what extent should we tolerate others with different beliefs?
  • There is a difference between tolerating others and tolerating beliefs and tolerating sin. Everyone, because they are the image of God, requires respect and tolerance even if they are different from you. And if one respects the person in front of him as the image of God, even if he believes in a false teaching or false belief, he deserves the same love God gives us. However, we can never tolerate sin. We can love and tolerate the sinner. We can pray for his salvation, even if he is not Christian. But if anyone expects us to tolerate or condone sin, then we are directly rebelling against God. God Himself did not tolerate sin. It was the reason the flood came in the time of Noah. But he tolerated sinners because the flood was an instrument in His salvation plan. Therefore, looking at the example of Jesus, "the author and finisher of our salvation" (Heb 12:2), we too should love the sinner and tolerate any belief as long as it does not endorse or allow sin.
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=12985.msg152712#msg152712 date=1330726398]
    There is a difference between tolerating others and tolerating beliefs and tolerating sin. Everyone, because they are the image of God, requires respect and tolerance even if they are different from you. And if one respects the person in front of him as the image of God, even if he believes in a false teaching or false belief, he deserves the same love God gives us. However, we can never tolerate sin. We can love and tolerate the sinner. We can pray for his salvation, even if he is not Christian. But if anyone expects us to tolerate or condone sin, then we are directly rebelling against God. God Himself did not tolerate sin. It was the reason the flood came in the time of Noah. But he tolerated sinners because the flood was an instrument in His salvation plan. Therefore, looking at the example of Jesus, "the author and finisher of our salvation" (Heb 12:2), we too should love the sinner and tolerate any belief as long as it does not endorse or allow sin.

I see, but to what extent should we tolerate them? Should we still tolerate them, if they went as far as burning our churches in Egypt? I know Jesus said love your enemies, but tolerate them? I do not seem to really understand what tolerance is. In the way I understand it, it is logically flawed.
  • In my point of view, all of us cannot get rid of sins. Just always be yourself and you will find that our life can be wonderful.  :)
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12985.msg152713#msg152713 date=1330727604]
    [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=12985.msg152712#msg152712 date=1330726398]
    There is a difference between tolerating others and tolerating beliefs and tolerating sin. Everyone, because they are the image of God, requires respect and tolerance even if they are different from you. And if one respects the person in front of him as the image of God, even if he believes in a false teaching or false belief, he deserves the same love God gives us. However, we can never tolerate sin. We can love and tolerate the sinner. We can pray for his salvation, even if he is not Christian. But if anyone expects us to tolerate or condone sin, then we are directly rebelling against God. God Himself did not tolerate sin. It was the reason the flood came in the time of Noah. But he tolerated sinners because the flood was an instrument in His salvation plan. Therefore, looking at the example of Jesus, "the author and finisher of our salvation" (Heb 12:2), we too should love the sinner and tolerate any belief as long as it does not endorse or allow sin.

I see, but to what extent should we tolerate them? Should we still tolerate them, if they went as far as burning our churches in Egypt? I know Jesus said love your enemies, but tolerate them? I do not seem to really understand what tolerance is. In the way I understand it, it is logically flawed.

We tolerate them but not the action of burning the church.
  • There are 3 definitions for tolerate:
    1. to allow the existence, presence, practice, or act of without prohibition or hindrance; permit.
    2. to endure without repugnance; put up with.
    3. to experience, undergo, or sustain, as pain or hardship.

Tolerance does not mean to pretend something didn't happen. Tolerance does not mean unconditional and unjustified acceptance of an act or belief. Tolerance does not mean other faiths and religions have an equally valid claim to the truth as Christianity does. These are all attitudes and beliefs propagated by the world through the power of the prince of this world, Satan.

We don't have to allow the existence or practice of burning churches. We should not permit it to occur without speaking up. We can, however, endure through the act (but not with repugnance). We can put up with vandalism because we still survive. But we should not behave with repugnance or strong distaste or aversion because this is not how the Christian behaves. We can experience or sustain pain or hardship as normal behavior from others. All three definitions can be applied to your example of burning churches. What all these definitions lack is Christian love. This is what makes vandalism tolerable.

Looking at the example and teachings of Jesus, it is clear. As a Christian, you must give your cheek to those who smite. It is not because we permit or passively allow sin and injustice to rule over us as our enemies may have. It is because sacrificial love overcomes all. It is how Christ overcame death, sin and evil. It is how we become like God. And it is not optional.

If we behave with our enemies with hatred, repugnance, or anger, we are not like God. God does not show partiality. God gave His only Son for the whole world, even the enemies of Christianity. Jesus told the Jews that must take care of their perceived enemies, Samaritans, who are actually their brother and neighbor. (Good Samaritan story). Jesus showed love to the Samaritan woman who condescendingly invalidated Him and Judaism. Even the Pharisees and scribes whom Jesus called hypocrites and whitewashed tombs, He forgave them and told His Father to forgive them on the Cross.

Additionally, the act of burning Churches does not go unnoticed by God, or unrewarded for those who endure against vandalism. It is a form of martyrdom. And with acts like these, with the blood of martyrs and the injustice of the world, the Church is built and fortified. Jesus said, "Blessed are you, when they revile you and curse and say all manner of evil...for yours is the kingdom of God." If by words of injustice, we inherit the Kingdom, how much more do horrific acts of murder and vandalism validate our faith in God and eternal life.

The only thing that can steal our faith and our eternal life is sin. The only thing we cannot tolerate is sin. Sin is rebellion against God.

Did this clarify your questions?
  • It is a good answer remnkemi I know u were talking to copticandproud but it is good
  • Accidental repeat
  • I tolerate people, to an extent. I do not, however, tolerate erroneous beliefs and or teachings. Often times in our modern day, people mistake me for attacking people personally. You know what, I do not really care. I try to explain myself, but in reality, I do not care if people are upset by truth. Now, of course, there are ways of delivering truth and for me it depends on the person I am speaking with.

If someone says something against the deity of Christ, I do not tolerate that. If someone says something against the Trinity, I do not tolerate that, etc. It is about how you speak to them really, but most of the times it does not matter. People get offended when someone corrects them nowadays.

• I ignore them or rebuke them. I hope they see my good works and not try and change me. Jesus is the truth and the truth goes forever, that's it.
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=12985.msg152822#msg152822 date=1331048029]
    There are 3 definitions for tolerate:
    1. to allow the existence, presence, practice, or act of without prohibition or hindrance; permit.
    2. to endure without repugnance; put up with.
    3. to experience, undergo, or sustain, as pain or hardship.

Tolerance does not mean to pretend something didn't happen. Tolerance does not mean unconditional and unjustified acceptance of an act or belief. Tolerance does not mean other faiths and religions have an equally valid claim to the truth as Christianity does. These are all attitudes and beliefs propagated by the world through the power of the prince of this world, Satan.

We don't have to allow the existence or practice of burning churches. We should not permit it to occur without speaking up. We can, however, endure through the act (but not with repugnance). We can put up with vandalism because we still survive. But we should not behave with repugnance or strong distaste or aversion because this is not how the Christian behaves. We can experience or sustain pain or hardship as normal behavior from others. All three definitions can be applied to your example of burning churches. What all these definitions lack is Christian love. This is what makes vandalism tolerable.

Looking at the example and teachings of Jesus, it is clear. As a Christian, you must give your cheek to those who smite. It is not because we permit or passively allow sin and injustice to rule over us as our enemies may have. It is because sacrificial love overcomes all. It is how Christ overcame death, sin and evil. It is how we become like God. And it is not optional.

If we behave with our enemies with hatred, repugnance, or anger, we are not like God. God does not show partiality. God gave His only Son for the whole world, even the enemies of Christianity. Jesus told the Jews that must take care of their perceived enemies, Samaritans, who are actually their brother and neighbor. (Good Samaritan story). Jesus showed love to the Samaritan woman who condescendingly invalidated Him and Judaism. Even the Pharisees and scribes whom Jesus called hypocrites and whitewashed tombs, He forgave them and told His Father to forgive them on the Cross.

Additionally, the act of burning Churches does not go unnoticed by God, or unrewarded for those who endure against vandalism. It is a form of martyrdom. And with acts like these, with the blood of martyrs and the injustice of the world, the Church is built and fortified. Jesus said, "Blessed are you, when they revile you and curse and say all manner of evil...for yours is the kingdom of God." If by words of injustice, we inherit the Kingdom, how much more do horrific acts of murder and vandalism validate our faith in God and eternal life.

The only thing that can steal our faith and our eternal life is sin. The only thing we cannot tolerate is sin. Sin is rebellion against God.

Did this clarify your questions?

I see exactly what you are trying to say, but the idea of tolarance itself does not make any sense to me. For example, if I did not tolerate X people and those people complained about me not tolerating them, then they are not tolerating my intolerance. You see what I mean?

• Shouldn't we be tolerant by forgiving? Shouldn't others compare themselves to our good behaviour? If we do this by Christ and with the Holy Spirits help then wouldn't they reconize their faillings once their own sin is fullblown?