A Modest Proposal

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Dear all,

As the Great Lent approaches us, the need for calmness and focus becomes more important. Just as quickly as this holy time has come, it will quickly pass. For some of us, myself first, we allow it to pass having many regrets. ("I wish I would've read that book"; "I wish I could've started praying more", etc.)

The reason for this, I believe, is simply distraction. We allow ourselves to continue as we have always done: school, work, activities, etc. I don't think any of these things are inherently bad, but in the Great Lent, I think we should minimize the less necessary tasks and devote more time to prayer, meditation and participating in the Divine Liturgy.

My proposal: Let's lock some functions of the forums, particularly posting and starting new topics.

Tasbeha.org is a wonderful place for all of us to come together in discussion. It can be edifying, but the wicked one can also use it against us. We can spend more time than we need to on the forums and many times during this special season we get into arguments and discussions that benefit no one.

Perhaps you are thinking that we can control ourselves and simply not use it? This is true, but for some of us (me!), our will is so weak. Eliminating the temptation is a better option.

I also think that we have discussed most topics repeatedly. A simple search should lead one to the answers they are looking for. Or, you could always PM someone who can answer your question.

I think we can all benefit from taking time away form the forums. Plus, it will be awesome when we come back :)

What do you all think? 

Comments

• With all due respect, I disagree. This fourm has benfited my ALOT! How about we limit it to Pascha week only? That is what I did last year with facebook... but the whole fast, no it is just too long.
  • yes, i will be too busy to post in Holy Week (i hope so anyway, as i may not have a job by then!).
    i think closing down for the whole of lent will be a problem coz people often ask questions about the church during lent, so this should be allowed.
  • Closing the forum is not an option. many tried before. Fr Peter does ask people to be careful what they do and how they spend their time during these holy days.
  • I don't agree in locking the forums during the Lent. If people's posting gets out of hand then Father Peter will alert them, but locking the forums is simply a decision which has good intentions but bad effects.
  • I won't lock the forums but I will be strict(er) about threads which begin to be arguments. So I will probably not be allowing discussion of Coptic pronounciation!
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=12926.msg152191#msg152191 date=1329587698]
    I won't lock the forums but I will be strict(er) about threads which begin to be arguments. So I will probably not be allowing discussion of Coptic pronounciation!

YESSSS!!!.....please pm specific people to not to. I think we know who always begin those discussions.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=12926.msg152191#msg152191 date=1329587698]
    I won't lock the forums but I will be strict(er) about threads which begin to be arguments. So I will probably not be allowing discussion of Coptic pronounciation!

Or Coptic vs. vernacular
  • There will be no discussion of any controversial issues during Lent.

This is not a time to be concerned with others, except in prayer, but to focus very intently on our own spiritual life.
  • I don't think I need to PM people, as there are many of us who get involved in various threads that are unlikely to lead to a conclusion, or at least one that brings unity. There is nothing wrong with such discussions if they are conducted with charity, but Lent is not the time for them.

It is probably best if the only criticism allowed in a post during this season is of ourselves.

Would this be a bad time to express the proper spelling of the word "pronunciation"? lol just kidding

I think it would be a bad idea to close the forums because they affect each person in a different way. For example, this thread gave me the idea to deactivate my Facebook during the fast, and I will attempt to do that. That was in no way the topic of this thread, but that is how it touched me.

• I guess this might have been better titled "An Extreme Proposal"  ;)

You all have a point. I will try to stay away from posting; it may be unfair to force that on everyone else.

Have a blessed Lent :-)
  • [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12926.msg152201#msg152201 date=1329606109]
    I guess this might have been better titled "An Extreme Proposal"  ;)

You all have a point. I will try to stay away from posting; it may be unfair to force that on everyone else.

I don't understand. Why would you try to stay away from posting? If you can post and contribute to topics that are edifying isn't that your goal during lent anyway? Let's be honest here, for everybody other than Father Peter, it usually takes no more than 10 minutes to check on new topics on this site. It's not like it is going to take a lot of your time. And it's beneficial so not only is it not taking much of your time, it is also benefiting you at the same time.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=12926.msg152202#msg152202 date=1329614299]
    [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12926.msg152201#msg152201 date=1329606109]
    I guess this might have been better titled "An Extreme Proposal"  ;)

I don't understand. Why would you try to stay away from posting? If you can post and contribute to topics that are edifying isn't that your goal during lent anyway? Let's be honest here, for everybody other than Father Peter, it usually takes no more than 10 minutes to check on new topics on this site. It's not like it is going to take a lot of your time. And it's beneficial so not only is it not taking much of your time, it is also benefiting you at the same time.

For the same reason some of the holy monks would stay silent. Many used to come to them for advice and a word, but they would remain quiet. Surely all of the monks that chose not to speak had many beautiful things to say.

Sometimes we just need to stay silent. Enough talking, enough typing, enough communicating. Lent is an opportunity to do that.

I am not comparing myself to these blessed desert fathers!

But for me, I talk too much + sometimes I get into controversial topics and probably offend people.

God bless you; pray for me.
  • Well, I pray that you learn much from this. May God be with you Andrew.
  • You guys delete my posts anyways, I feel restricted to post because I know my posts will be deleted.
    + That's not a modest proposal. Opting to close down a whole community isn't a modest proposal.

What's there to delete? My short and sweet comments? I know, they're sometimes bitter and a little too much, but instead of writing 500 paragraphs to give one point, write one line.