Petition for Abune Antonios – Patriarch of Eritrea

edited February 2012 in Faith Issues
Dear all,

As many of you know Abune Antonios, Patriarch of the Eritrean Orthodox Tewahdo Church, has been under house arrest incommunicado since January 13, 2006. This past January marked his 6th year in chains for the Orthodox faith he hold uncompromised.

Please sign the following petition, opt to send a letter to your senator and also forward it to others.
http://www.petition2congress.com/6030/release-abune-antonios-patriarch-eritrean-orthodox-tewahdo-church/

"Remember those who are in prison,
as if you were their fellow prisoner.
Remember those who are suffering
as if you were suffering with them"

Hebrews 13:3

In Christ 

Comments

•       I heard the following anecdote from Anba Seraphim of the BOC about Baba Antonios. Btw Anba Seraphim and Baba Antonios knew each other from their time in El Soryan monastery in Egypt.

When the government of Eritrea confiscated Baba Antonios’s car to restrict his visit to the churches in different dioceses he nevertheless continued to attend the churches that he was able to walk to. As he walks to church, many people will pull over and offer him a ride. But Baba Antonios always humbly declines and walked to church till the day he was put under strict house arrest.

In Christ       
    Theophilus
  • why the petition must go to the USA?
  • Why on earth was he placed under house arrest? What happened??
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=12910.msg151962#msg151962 date=1329328963]
    Why on earth was he placed under house arrest? What happened??

I wanted to ask too, but I thought it was a stupid question.

And since Zoxsasi is the one who asked, I know for sure it's a stupid question.

....just kidding.  :P
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=12910.msg151968#msg151968 date=1329333667]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=12910.msg151962#msg151962 date=1329328963]

LOL!
  • Thoxsasi calls me his 'personal trouble maker', but I think he's over exaggerating.

Anyway Patriarch Antonios is under house arrest because:

Concern had been growing about government interference in religious affairs and Patriarch Antonios increasingly resisted government interference, especially instructions emanating from Mr. Yeftehe Dimetros, the government’s official responsible for church matters.

• [quote author=Smirser link=topic=12910.msg151951#msg151951 date=1329312369]
    why the petition must go to the USA?

Dear Smirser,
    Of course, our petition and supplication should always go to God first. It is in God’s hands that our safety and security lays and not in Pharaoh’s; just as our health is in God’s hand and not a doctor’s. However, we take our medications and keep our doctor’s visit. 
    In my opinion, the problem is not being involved in a democratic political process as a Christian but rather having our ultimate faith in politicians and not Christ.

In Christ,
    Theophilus
  • Does this case remind you of anything? Yup, Pope Shenouda! The gates of hell will never overcome her!
  • You can find more information about Abune Antonios at the following links:

http://www.abuneantonios.com/

http://awate.com/abune-antonios-is-in-worrisome-health-conditions/

• [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12910.msg151971#msg151971 date=1329334513]
    [quote author=TITL link=topic=12910.msg151968#msg151968 date=1329333667]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=12910.msg151962#msg151962 date=1329328963]

LOL!

The final event that ushered an unveiled hostility from the government towards the Eritrean Orthodox Church and Her patriarch Abouna Antonios was the issue of the youth at Holy Savior Church in the capital Asmara. Even prior to this event there was brewing tension.

The more than 3,000 youth that showed growing zeal to their faith and less nationalistic was seen as a threat by the communist government. To mitigate the ‘distraction’ of religion delegates from the government approached Abouna Antonios and advised him to disband the youth group. Abouna Antonios replied “I am supposed to be a shepherd how can I scatter the flock? I am to build the church and not destroy it!”

Soon after this encounter he was dethroned from his papacy. Unfortunately, some of the clergy collaborate with the government. Right after his dethronement he wrote the following letter:

http://tewahdo.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=110:letter-from-hh-antonios-patriarch-of-the-eritrean-orthodox-church-&Itemid=115

• Some Bishops of the Church have decided to ordain a new Patriarch. "Abune Disocorous." He has been anathemized by H.H. Abune Antonious. May God disperse the council of these illegitimate like he dispersed the council of Ahithophel. It is these dissensions which truly sadden God. This is sad.

Abune Antonious' letter was powerful. This has been for quite some time. I would like to know what the COC is doing for H.H. I think that it is a sticky situation, but as the mother Church, we need to step in. Then of course, politics is a big deal.

God is powerful, and no government can hold back His will from action. We must pray.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • Pope Shenouda has made it clear that the COC accepts only Abouna Antonios as patriarch of Eritrea. Is there an ongoing effort on the COC side on the matter? I know the BOC has done some advocacy work, maybe Father Peter or Mabosta can give us an update. 

In Christ
    Theophilus 
  • I am answering questions here from the coptic patriarch thread.
    may the Lord choose for us a good and wise shepherd and preserve his life for many years.

i think it is very hard as an eritrean Christian if yr bishop and others around u follow the non patriarch dioscorus. people in the lands of immigration have a lot of pressure to conform to what the government wants, and many of the clergy who have not made the effort to break off all links (in order to support abune antonius) are kind and Godly men who are trying to serve God in a very difficult situation.

the coptic hierarchy has not welcomed any of the non patriarch dioscorus' delegations to any event, thus making it clear that they support the patriarch who was chosen according to the church canons. there are faithful bishops and priests in north america and europe who continue to support abune antonius.
    of course it is more difficult in eritrea itself, so we can't judge these things easily looking from the outside.

abba seraphim has met abune antonius and so knows that he is doing the right thing by supporting him.
    the other bishops of the coptic church do the same, but they don't talk about it so much. i think they don't want to make any political problems between egypt and eritrea.
    may God guide us and give abune antonius peace and health.
  • Wow. This country, Eritrea, needs prayer. I had no idea they were communist-not that I knew a lot about them to begin with.
  • Yes we do need a lot of prayer. Here is the latest atrocity: Eritreans, Ethiopians and other Africans are suffering in the Sinai desert. What makes Eritrea’s case unique is high government officials are involved in the human trafficking according to Human Right groups report. 

Keep us in your prayer that God who delivered the Israelites in the Sinai desert will take pity on us!  :'(

In Christ
    Theophilus