Factions in the church?

What do we do about factions in the church? More and more I am seeing a divide between people with different ideologies in the church.

People are being labeled "conservative", "liberal", "radical", "protestant", "alhan junkie", etc.

Parties are being formed - liberal and conservative. The clashes between the two concern issues of worship, evangelism, etc.

People are backing the leaders of each party - "I support X", "I am with Y"

It is getting out of hand.

How can we minimize this? Any thoughts?

Comments

• I am also interested in this question, and think that it is a question of great importance so...

*bump*
  • Very simple, the more persecution, the more we return to prayer and begin to band together.
    The more we lavish in being spoiled brats, the more time we have to gossip, plot, politicize, and be involved in making factions.

Persecution, on a philosophical aspect of Christian existence, is not such a bad thing.

• Fixing the alhan junkie issue:  keep the microphone for the priest and get rid of all other microphones.  We will see how many stick around after that intervention.
  • Why even a microphone for the priest?
    Oujai qen `P[C

• I think the problem is gossip, as this polerises peoples opinions. Abouna should try to stop gossip. When we have communion, we are newly baptises and therefore past sins are forgotten and forgiven. We are to keep the dogmatic way of doing things and so there should be little or no change.

I pray for the unity and harmony of your church Andrew.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12862.msg151292#msg151292 date=1328041313]
    Fixing the alhan junkie issue:  keep the microphone for the priest and get rid of all other microphones.  We will see how many stick around after that intervention.

Agreed. Why can not we just stick to the two chours system??? I think the reason behind all of this is that more and more people are viewing that church as a social club not God's house. If we were taught how to respect and obey the church without hesitation we will not have to deal with this. It amaze me how people think that they know everything and that their opinion is always right without even reading any of the churches fathers writings. If we want to solve this issue, we will have to tackle the roots of the issue by preparing sunday school teachers who actually know more than a couple of bible stories...
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12862.msg151298#msg151298 date=1328041788]
    Why even a microphone for the priest?
    Oujai qen `P[C

It's more important for the congregation to hear the priests' parts than the deacons.
  • Of course it isn't peter_saad.. why should it be? Remember in monasteries in Egypt there is no use for the mic, mainly due to space.. however even in small churches there's always one for the priest and none for deacons.. why don't we just do without it altogether? Except of course for big churches.. actually in monasteries, it is usually the quietest prayers, and the most spiritual.. also the undulating pattern of priest's prayers alternating with the louder choir make for a rich acoustic experience, that encourages meditation, and silence...
    Oujai
  • Take the institution narrative for example. we say 'We believe that this is true. Amen'... what if someone can't hear it? does the church only consist of young people who can hear well? There's absolutely nothing wrong with microphones. It doesn't take away the spirituality, except in some cases, when the deacon shows off.
  • But if one "side" is advocating change that is not fitting for the church, how do we maintain unity without compromising what the church has taught us?

If they will not relent, must we acquiesce? Or should we stand against it and cause some to leave the church and cause further division?

Is standing up for the Orthodox way worth losing a group of rebellious people?
  • I would love to go back in time to visit the Patriarchate in the last century and a half and see how the service was before the microphones and even electrical lighting was used...the liturgy must've had a very mystical and other-worldly feeling...oh wait, I think that's the point.
    My grandfather told me stories of the uproar it caused when churches in El-Minya and Akhmim first started using electricity for light and how priests would give homilies against women wearing makeup...its an aside...just funny how our small problems are always there, they just change from age to age.
    Apparently if one visits small Orthodox churches in Europe, this is still the case. There is no microphone and literally everyone sings which makes the word "liturgy" (the work of the people) come alive with meaning.