Away from Home

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Christ is Born!

I have a small problem that is getting me down, and I was wondering if there are any of you who can relate and can help me get over these feelings that I am having.

I came home from school (I study away from home) about three weeks ago, and I have been very happy to be home since then. As I pack to leave, I feel overcome with a spirit of dejection, a little sad and worry. I worry about my spiritual life away from home as it is not the best. I also worry about the well being of all my loved ones here at home and especially those people who I feel need to be shown constant attention, and according to them, since my leaving, they have felt alone. I also feel upset that I am going to have to leave my friends who are not just friends to me, but are brothers who help me grow spiritually.

I am angry, and I don't know why. Can anyone give me a guide as to how to take the extreme loneliness that I often feel and turn it into a time of reflection with Christ?

Thank you

ReturnOrthodoxy

Comments

• remember no eagle learns to fly until it leaves the nest.
    read isaiah 40. 27 - 31;
    God Himself will give you strength, just keep on studying the Bible, set yr alarm to pray every morning, remember to be kind to those you meet and take care of the poor (probably this means yr fellow students, i assume u r all poor!)
    now is the time u can use yr time away from familiar routines not to be affected in a bad way by those around u, but to make yr own routine (it takes work!) which includes time with God every day and making an effort to hear the Bible preached and take Holy Communion whenever you can.
    may God bless u and i pray for u at this time.
    pls also pray for me
    :)
  • [quote author=ReturnOrthodoxy link=topic=12780.msg150060#msg150060 date=1325929592]
    Christ is Born!

I have a small problem that is getting me down, and I was wondering if there are any of you who can relate and can help me get over these feelings that I am having.

I came home from school (I study away from home) about three weeks ago, and I have been very happy to be home since then. As I pack to leave, I feel overcome with a spirit of dejection, a little sad and worry. I worry about my spiritual life away from home as it is not the best. I also worry about the well being of all my loved ones here at home and especially those people who I feel need to be shown constant attention, and according to them, since my leaving, they have felt alone. I also feel upset that I am going to have to leave my friends who are not just friends to me, but are brothers who help me grow spiritually.

I am angry, and I don't know why. Can anyone give me a guide as to how to take the extreme loneliness that I often feel and turn it into a time of reflection with Christ?

Thank you

ReturnOrthodoxy

Strengthen yourself! What do you think you're doing?!
  • No pain...no gain.

Obviously you now have the opportunity to appreciate things that you, like the rest of humanity, had taken for granted. 

My father would tell us to always say good bye as if it is the last time you will see each other.  He relates that one does not know what the day or the journey will lead.

You are human, like the rest of us.  Grant yourself humanity.

• u r not alone in this.
    the summer term of my first year at university, i sat down one day and wept for ages from loneliness.
    but God sent me friends and used the experience to bring me closer to Him.
    now i don't regret it at all.
    so it's ok sometimes to be down, but don't dwell on yr circumstances;
    think instead about God who holds u in His right hand.
  • Listen, only about 5 more years!