proceeds from..

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
in the creed we say about the holy spirit that he proceeds from the father. catholics say from the father and the son. my question is either way its said by either denomination doesnt it imply that the holy spirit is, i dont wanna say less but for lack of a better word, less than the father? and in the orthodox version doesnt it imply that the son is also less then the father?
really needing answers please

Comments

• you need to have a solid understanding of the Holy Trinity to understand the difference. This post may help: http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=9358.0

this doctrine (procession from the Father and the Son) is called: Filioque
  • I'm still unclear on how the father is the "source". doesnt that still make him greater? i get kinda that infinite born from infinite is still iinfinite but any other clarifications?
  • [quote author=Curios link=topic=12708.msg149221#msg149221 date=1324266218]
    I'm still unclear on how the father is the "source". doesnt that still make him greater? i get kinda that infinite born from infinite is still iinfinite but any other clarifications?

The Son is begotten of the Father. We, as humans, think of things sequentially...it's hard for us to understand the unity of the Holy Trinity, it is a mystery. If you can comprehend it fully than God is not really God since we can reach the understand of His existence.

Eve was created from Adam. This doesn't make her less than Adam.   
  • [quote author=Curios link=topic=12708.msg149214#msg149214 date=1324264878]
    in the creed we say about the holy spirit that he proceeds from the father. catholics say from the father and the son. my question is either way its said by either denomination doesnt it imply that the holy spirit is, i dont wanna say less but for lack of a better word, less than the father? and in the orthodox version doesnt it imply that the son is also less then the father?
    really needing answers please

Its more of a mutual relationship than this; we say that the greatness of the Father is revealed in the Son and the Holy Spirit kind of like the way that a light bulb emits light.  The bulb is the source but that doesn't make it greater than the light - in fact we would say that the light bulb is great because of the light it generates.

Without the Son and the Holy Spirit the Father wouldn't be what He is; the Father.
  • wow those examples actually helped a lot
    thanks guys  :D