The Cymbols and the triangle

2»

Comments

• [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12697.msg149335#msg149335 date=1324438778]
    Why did you learn how to play it since "it simply doesn't do anything"?

i knwo where are you going with this and it will not work with me......

It just came naturally after playing the triento for many yrs. The point is that with knowing how to play or without it, nothing will change. it will not make you a better deacon; it will not help you learn alhan (as an psaltos) or read (as a reader).......
  • Why are you thinking that this is an argument? It is not... some thing goes with the triento why did you learn it if "it simply dosen't do any thing"? Look I agree with you that knowing how to play the triento or the deff is not necessary for deacons but it does help... The whole purpose of the praises is for us to get closer to God...

[quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=12697.msg149260#msg149260 date=1324342195]
    Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet;
    Praise Him with the psaltery and harp!
    Praise Him with the timbrel and chorus;
    Praise Him with stringed instruments and organs!
    Praise Him with  pleasant sounding cymbals;
    Praise Him upon the cymbals of joy!

We say it every week.

David is a great example. He was one of the greatest psaltos ever -no doubts there- and he used all of these instruments.

At the end nothing matters except for the relation you established with God; the joy of the spiritual fullness that over comes you. It doesnot matter how is a better deacon, how knows more, or who knows how to play the deff...

Or donot you agree?
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12697.msg149337#msg149337 date=1324440362]
    Why are you thinking that this is an argument? It is not...
    yet you just got into that arguemnt....okay

some thing goes with the triento why did you learn it if "it simply dosen't do any thing"?

I personally don't know why i learned to play the deff; i just don't remember how it came to me to do so. it's weird, i know.....but it is true.

Look I agree with you that knowing how to play the triento or the deff is not necessary for deacons but it does help... The whole purpose of the praises is for us to get closer to God...

[quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=12697.msg149260#msg149260 date=1324342195]
    Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet;
    Praise Him with the psaltery and harp!
    Praise Him with the timbrel and chorus;
    Praise Him with stringed instruments and organs!
    Praise Him with  pleasant sounding cymbals;
    Praise Him upon the cymbals of joy!

We say it every week.

David is a great example. He was one of the greatest psaltos ever -no doubts there- and he used all of these instruments.
    At the end nothing matters except for the relation you established with God; the joy of the spiritual fullness that over comes you. It doesnot matter how is a better deacon, how knows more, or who knows how to play the deff...
    Or donot you agree?

I actually don't agree.
    first, to comment on what David says (and i am surprised no one did).....if we would take those words literally we would be having all kind of instruments in Church. But we don't. The strings of our hearts are the only instruments used in liturgical services. Our Joy now is Jesus and His sacrifice to us. He requires of us our hearts.

Second, you just said: "the joy of the spiritual fullness that over comes you"....how can spiritual fullness be acquired or originate from physical actions? yes there are basic things we need to do to strengthen the spirit......but playing the deff doesn't help into that....in fact it is a distraction in many cases where it can't be controlled.

one thing need to be understood: the deff and the triento are not 'musical instruments' as much as they 'Percussion instrument' which means there are used to keep the rhythm.....that's it.
  • Look, I think that we can only agree to disagree this is not going to take us anywhere...