Hymn/Song recommendations for Youth Meeting?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hey all -

What hymns/songs do you all recommend for the high school age group in a youth meeting. I don't want to go towards either extreme (hardcore alhan or hardcore western music). I get the feeling like kids are getting bored with the classics: "Hear My Cry," "As the Dear. . ." and that they don't like/know the tasbeha stuff: "Aripsaleen," "Sunday Psali," etc. .

What are your thoughts? What to do?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• tasbeha in english is pretty cool.
    also look for some english translations of communion songs (not the ones u always use, this will be 'boring').
    my favourites are 'from every nation' (also known as 'from all nations') and 'very early sunday morning'.

also it would be good to teach some kiahk songs ahead of time, so they will be able to sing along when they hear them in church. not one of the aaaaa eeeeeeee oooooo aaaa eee songs, but ones with recognisable words in a language they speak.
    basically anything easy to sing is best (as long as u check out the theology of any non-orthodox songs with abouna first) as people of this age are often embarassed to sing out loud, so might not sing if it's too hard.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVhVGUGPAqk&feature=related
    this song is good! I don´t know know if u want only english, but if u want arabic then this is a nice hymn to sing with the youth. I was once in the church in egypt in the sa3eed and before the sermon of Anba Sharobeem, one guy sung this song with the youth. He sings the first sentence self and let the youth reply :"la, la".  I can't transalate the song, cause my arabic is not that good, but maybe someone else can?
  • "Here I am to Worship" is a strong song. Is it too protestant for you?
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12615.msg148107#msg148107 date=1322597828]
    "Here I am to Worship" is a strong song. Is it too protestant for you?

I am really confused with protestant songs..
    I still don't understand why such songs are wrong..
  • [quote author=+Marmar+ link=topic=12615.msg148109#msg148109 date=1322598891]
    [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12615.msg148107#msg148107 date=1322597828]

Lets not do this again. Refer to this thread for your answer.

AshSofEnnoub
  • http://www.copticheritage.org/spiritual_songs
    There are really good songs here one of my favorites is "May the Words of My Mouth" its short but soo wonderful and also "Create in Me a Clean Heart" but anyway there are plenty to choose from they even have a "Hymns in English" link to the left, hope you find this well
    God bless :D
  • Forgive me my Redeemer!! (I hope it's not one of the "classics" that they are tired of). Actually, I'm not sure how you could get tired of it at all.
  • Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

@ George: I have never heard that song. Where can I hear the audio? Thanks.
  • Does anyone know of powerpoints in English that have the spiritual songs with music in the background and the text appearing, etc.?

I heard that this is becoming big in Egypt. The preacher usually starts the powerpoint and people just follow along. No instruments, books, etc. required.

Thanks.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=12615.msg148103#msg148103 date=1322595585]
    Father God!!!

http://andrewayad.com/sweetvocals.mp3

How do I download this? I really like it  :)

EDIT: Never mind. . .I figured it out.
  • [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12615.msg148122#msg148122 date=1322616749]
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

*sigh* there isn't one  :'(

However, the Arabic one is the last track on this page. However, I think this is one of the few spiritual songs that are better in English than in Arabic.
  • Here's a link containing the lyrics.

In the Arabic track they repeat the first two lines of the verse and then say the second two once, but the way I learned it, you also repeat the second two lines in each verse.
  • Thanks, George!
  • You're welcome  ;D
  • [quote author=ashsofennoub link=topic=12615.msg148110#msg148110 date=1322599162]
    [quote author=+Marmar+ link=topic=12615.msg148109#msg148109 date=1322598891]
    [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12615.msg148107#msg148107 date=1322597828]

AshSofEnnoub

Yeah, hmmm, here is not clearly explained whether protestant songs are good or bad to listen for coptic christians.  The topic here is about classic rock (O.P.)

I remembered a while ago that Ioaness told that protestant songs are wrong, because the "I" and "Me" is standing central. But I'm still doubting about it, because if you are listening to "at the cross i bow my knee" then it seems that it is talking about that you are bowing to the cross of Christ, but I find it weird, because protestants don't acknowledge that Jesus died at the cross.

Sorry for bringing an old topic up and for my lack of wisdom, but.. I am still confsued.
  • [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=12615.msg148143#msg148143 date=1322628319]
    [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12615.msg148122#msg148122 date=1322616749]

However, the Arabic one is the last track on this page. However, I think this is one of the few spiritual songs that are better in English than in Arabic.

Jimmy,

Send him the one I gave you.

Andrew,

It's an incomplete recording, so just use the same tune for the rest of the stanzas.

Here are the words: http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/927

A few others to consider:

My Coptic Church  ;)
    You are the Words to the Music
    In Moments Like These
    When the Spirit of the Lord Moves in my Heart
    Father we Adore You

Also, there are quite a few psalms out there with beautiful tunes, including: 3, 12, 19, 23, 45, 62, 84, 141, and 147.

I really like Mabsoota's advice about preparing them with Kiahk praises!  ;D

A few suggestions for that:

The Burning Bush
    I Praise the Virgin
    Your Mercies O my God
    I Open my Mouth with Praise
    The Fourth Hoos with the Added refrain (Unto our God...etc)
    Praxis Response (changes every week, so choose appropriately)
    First Doxologies for Advent Fast (starts with 'Ke ghar ayshansaji ethveety')
    Psalm 150 with Communion Response ("Jesus Christ the Son of God came and took flesh from the Virgin")

And that's all I can think of for now. I'll post later if anything else comes in mind.
  • Oh btw, how come ISLM didn't chime in with a "Kumbaya" comment??

This thread will never be complete without it.
  • [quote author=+Marmar+ link=topic=12615.msg148179#msg148179 date=1322652018]
    [quote author=ashsofennoub link=topic=12615.msg148110#msg148110 date=1322599162]

AshSofEnnoub

Yeah, hmmm, here is not clearly explained whether protestant songs are good or bad to listen for coptic christians.  The topic here is about classic rock (O.P.)

I remembered a while ago that Ioaness told that protestant songs are wrong, because the "I" and "Me" is standing central. But I'm still doubting about it, because if you are listening to "at the cross i bow my knee" then it seems that it is talking about that you are bowing to the cross of Christ, but I find it weird, because protestants don't acknowledge that Jesus died at the cross.

Sorry for bringing an old topic up and for my lack of wisdom, but.. I am still confsued.

Woah, woah, woooah! I just read this now..

Giiiiiiiiiirl. You. Are. Very. Very. Very. Confused.

If they believe in ANYTHING, it's that!!

You should probably read up on what Protestantism is, then come back and make your argument.

On a side note, here's something Dzheremi said once: "leave what's Protestant to the Protestants and what's Orthodox to the Orthodox."
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=12615.msg148183#msg148183 date=1322663346]
    [quote author=+Marmar+ link=topic=12615.msg148179#msg148179 date=1322652018]
    [quote author=ashsofennoub link=topic=12615.msg148110#msg148110 date=1322599162]

AshSofEnnoub

You should probably read up on what Protestantism is, then come back and make your argument.

On a side note, here's something Dzheremi said once: "leave what's Protestant to the Protestants and what's Orthodox to the Orthodox."

Ahhhh, seems I'm kinda ignorant and stupid :-\

Yeah, i was confused because when I was younger I heard that protestants haven't got a crucifix but an empty cross, so from that moment It's still in my head that they don't believe that Jesus died at the cross. But probably this is just what I made from it.

But now I remembered that it wasnt the issue about the cross, but about that they don't believe that St. Virgin Mary is the mother of Christ.

Sorry for the confusion. :S

I'm really sorry for bringing another topic up, but I thought that this doesn't need a whole thread and could be answered short without opening a whole discussion. Here is something else which confuses me.
    I saw a Copt bringing up this quote ":The name Yahweh is a word that needs neither the tongue nor lips to be pronounced. It is a mere breathing in (Yah) and out (weh) the first thing we pronounce as we leave the safety the mother’s womb, and the last as we leave this world: what we say naturally as we live..'' - Bishop Angaelos

But isn't "Yahweh" the name which only Jews use and not christians?? Something they used in the Old Testament? I am not sure actually if this is really said by H.G. Angaelos, but I just saw it and it made ma confsued. Isn't it also a name which the Jehovah wittnesses use, (please, don't yell at me if I didn't say it correcty, I am also just a human who makes mistakes :P lol).
    My mind has become a mess and probably all the information in my mind scrambled because of all the Pscyhology lectures I'm getting. XD  :-X
  • [quote author=+Marmar+ link=topic=12615.msg148186#msg148186 date=1322665341]
    [quote author=TITL link=topic=12615.msg148183#msg148183 date=1322663346]

AshSofEnnoub

Yeah, i was confused because when I was younger I heard that protestants haven't got a crucifix but an empty cross, so from that moment It's still in my head that they doesn't believe that Jesus died at the cross. But probably this is just what I made from it.

But now I remembered that it wasnt the issue about the cross, but about that they don't believe that St. Virgin Mary is the mother of Christ.

Really sorry for bringing another topic up, but I thought that this doesn't need a whole thread and can be answered short without opening a whole discussion.
    I saw a copt brining this quote up:The name Yahweh is a word that needs neither the tongue nor lips to be pronounced. It is a mere breathing in (Yah) and out (weh) the first thing we pronounce as we leave the safety the mother’s womb, and the last as we leave this world: what we say naturally as we live..'' - Bishop Angaelos

But isn't "Yahweh" the name which only Jews use and not christians?? I am not sure actually if this is really said by H.G. Angaelos, but I just saw it and it made ma confsued. Isn't it also a name which the Jehovah wittnesses use, (please, don't yell at me if I didn't say it correcly, I am also just a human who makes mistakes :P lol).

I don't even know what to say to you, honestly.

Here's a good start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestantism

In a nutshell: whatever is in the Bible, they believe in.

If you have any other *specific* questions, please open up a new thread.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=12615.msg148187#msg148187 date=1322665961]
    [quote author=+Marmar+ link=topic=12615.msg148186#msg148186 date=1322665341]
    [quote author=TITL link=topic=12615.msg148183#msg148183 date=1322663346]

AshSofEnnoub

Yeah, i was confused because when I was younger I heard that protestants haven't got a crucifix but an empty cross, so from that moment It's still in my head that they doesn't believe that Jesus died at the cross. But probably this is just what I made from it.

Really sorry for bringing another topic up, but I thought that this doesn't need a whole thread and can be answered short without opening a whole discussion.
    I saw a copt brining this quote up:The name Yahweh is a word that needs neither the tongue nor lips to be pronounced. It is a mere breathing in (Yah) and out (weh) the first thing we pronounce as we leave the safety the mother’s womb, and the last as we leave this world: what we say naturally as we live..'' - Bishop Angaelos

But isn't "Yahweh" the name which only Jews use and not christians?? I am not sure actually if this is really said by H.G. Angaelos, but I just saw it and it made ma confsued. Isn't it also a name which the Jehovah wittnesses use, (please, don't yell at me if I didn't say it correcly, I am also just a human who makes mistakes :P lol).

I don't even know what to say to you, honestly.

Here's a good start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestantism

In a nutshell: whatever is in the Bible, they believe in.

If you have any other *specific* questions, please open up a new thread.

ehmm.. thank you TITL...........
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=12615.msg148181#msg148181 date=1322662701]
    [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=12615.msg148143#msg148143 date=1322628319]
    [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12615.msg148122#msg148122 date=1322616749]

Jimmy,

Send him the one I gave you.

Andrew, PM me your email if you wanna hear it.
  • hey, marmar, don't feel to bad. it's probably the psychology lectures messing with your head.
    pray from the agpeya every day and yr head will feel better.

to generalise; protestants use the cross without the crucifix coz they focus on the resurrection more than the suffering of Jesus. they are keen to rush to the joy of salvation without passing enough through the pain of repentance and confession.
    sometimes we orthodox go to the other extreme and talk always of how sinful we are and forget that God forgives us.

but we are also allowed to wear a cross (i do, it's from my orthodox God mother), it doesn't have to be a crucifix.

the name of God in hebrew is transliterated very roughly as YHWH (no vowels like in arabic) and people disagree about how to pronounce it properly. the problem with the Jehovah's witnesses is not the name they use for God but their belief that Jesus was just a good man who became (a) God. they believe basically the same as the arians that saint cyril and saint athanasius excommunicated many hundreds of years ago.
    they are not Christians at all. protestants are Christians.
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12615.msg148208#msg148208 date=1322689148]
    hey, marmar, don't feel to bad. it's probably the psychology lectures messing with your head.
    pray from the agpeya every day and yr head will feel better.

to generalise; protestants use the cross without the crucifix coz they focus on the resurrection more than the suffering of Jesus. they are keen to rush to the joy of salvation without passing enough through the pain of repentance and confession.
    sometimes we orthodox go to the other extreme and talk always of how sinful we are and forget that God forgives us.

but we are also allowed to wear a cross (i do, it's from my orthodox God mother), it doesn't have to be a crucifix.

the name of God in hebrew is transliterated very roughly as YHWH (no vowels like in arabic) and people disagree about how to pronounce it properly. the problem with the Jehovah's witnesses is not the name they use for God but their belief that Jesus was just a good man who became (a) God. they believe basically the same as the arians that saint cyril and saint athanasius excommunicated many hundreds of years ago.

Thank you mabsoota for the clarification.
    I understand it better now.
    Actually, I don't think it are the lectures which made me confused, I was just kidding.
    We are not learning about religion in these lectures, it's only science.
    But I was just confused about some points in the protestantism and Jehovah, including because I always mix them up.

But where does that quote come from, about YHWH? Do you think anba angelos really said this? Because I'm sure we don't use this name in our religion. But I remember that I read that quote earlier... in a book or something.

[quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12615.msg148208#msg148208 date=1322689148]

they believe basically the same as the arians that saint cyril and saint athanasius excommunicated many hundreds of years ago.

Sorry, I misunderstood that part. Who are Christians and who are not you said in that sentence?
  • Protestants are; Jehova's Witnesses and Mormons are not.
  • [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=12615.msg148214#msg148214 date=1322691216]
    Protestants are; Jehova's Witnesses and Mormons are not.

Yes, Jehova's witnesses are defintely not Christians, thx God I already knew this. I think I didn't read the sentence carefully, I apologize.
  • In the Midst of the Raging Sea is one my favorites.