Does Confession count if you don't really repent ??

edited November 2011 in Random Issues
Like sometimes I feel like I just need to confess periodically. I tell myself "time to confess". It's like a habit to me every one or two weeks. But I don't feel like I'm repenting before confessing my sins to Abouna.

Is my confession accepted??

Comments

• Remember that the sacrament is called repentance and confession, not just confession. I won't go as far as to say your confession isn't accepted because I don't know the answer to that, but you should make every effort to live a life of repentance even (and especially) when it is not a convenient time to go to confession. The prayers in the back of the agpeya (prayer for repentance, prayer before confession, prayer after confession) I think are really helpful.
  • If there is no repentance then confession is useless. One needs to change direction to avoid the habitual sin so that forgiveness can be granted.

I encourage you to ask your FOC to give you spiritual exercises to overcome your particular sin.
  • Hey Guys,
    Regarding the ideas of confession and repentance, I recommend that you guys take a look at H.G. Bishop Youssef's Question and Answers on Confession and Repentance. Not necessarily what you were looking for, but if you read through the Q&As you may be able to get a good idea of what you are wondering.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • The thing is is that I always confess :P Lemme rephrase my question: Do you have to feel guilty when confessing ??? If not, is your confession accepted
  • I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I think that you do not feel guilty, but rather regret. Regret from the heart about what you did, and hopeful because  u know God will accept you.
  • As Christians we are never to feel guilt. You should realize what you did is wrong and just want to change it for your Loved One