St paul/ St Anthony and The Holy Virgin

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I kinda have this problem of faith where I think that if a saint or martyr does not mention the Holy Virgin Mary... in their book (life of St. Anthony) or something.... I think they dont venerate her as the Theotokos. I struggle with the fact that St. Anthony never got an apparation by the virgin .... I know that the Holy Theotokos is not God, but I also know that she is greater than all...

Does anybody struggle with the fact that St. Paul the Apostle never mentions the Holy Virgin?

What do you guys think of this.?

Comments

• + Irini nem ehmot,

I think you have a very skewed view of who the Theotokos is. Speak to your priest.
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=12516.msg146833#msg146833 date=1320002158]
    + Irini nem ehmot,

I think you have a very skewed view of who the Theotokos is. Speak to your priest.

For starters, the term "Theotokos" was declared much after Saint Paul died. Also, why would you "venerate" someone who was still alive with you in human form?!

• I understand that the theotokos (the Holy Virgin) was a human just like you and I. But I mean David praised the Virgin  , Isaiah prophesied about her... the St. John also spoke of the woman who gave birth (that is debatable but I would like your thoughts on that).
    What about St. Anthony ....?
  • [quote author=tewodros_yifredew link=topic=12516.msg146840#msg146840 date=1320013425]
    I understand that the theotokos (the Holy Virgin) was a human just like you and I. But I mean David praised the Virgin  , Isaiah prophesied about her... the St. John also spoke of the woman who gave birth (that is debatable but I would like your thoughts on that).
    What about St. Anthony ....?

David and Isaiah were all prophets. They did not know that that specific girl was the VIRGIN they just you she will be a virgin. also, still, around the same time of Christ, what on this mortal world can fulfill being in the presence of Christ even if it was for a moment?! Even if you met some one who met some one else who met HIM, you were sure blessed. Saint John didn't speak of that women to be the VIRGIN Mary. in fact, no one did in the New Testament.

Why would you only concentrate on Saint Antony. Many saints lived and died and didn't even think about anything else other than God.

• this is a video about the orthodox prayer rope and in the duration of this video it mentions St. Anthony as having a vision of St. Mary anyone is welcome to dispute this, this is my only source i don't have much time for in depth research sorry please forgive me
    God bless, happy Sunday :)
  • Antony wouldn't have a Christ to follow in the wilderness and become a saint had it not been for the Theotokos ;)

• [quote author=tewodros_yifredew link=topic=12516.msg146831#msg146831 date=1320000555]Does anybody struggle with the fact that St. Paul the Apostle never mentions the Holy Virgin?

What do you guys think of this.?

The greatest honour which the Church gives to the Virigin Mary is because of teachings derived from the Pauline tradition especially the Gospel of St Luke who was one of his disciples. It is this Gospel which tells us the most about the life of the Virign and the titles of honour which the Church gives to her.

Please pray for me,

LiD